Perfume: The Story of a Murderer

by Patrick Suskind | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by SecondSCOBCZ of State College, Pennsylvania USA on 5/31/2009
Journal Entry 1 by SecondSCOBCZ from State College, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, May 31, 2009
Got this from my sister. Probably headed to the OBCZ at Websters on Aaron.

Journal Entry 2 by SecondSCOBCZ at Webster's Cafe On Aaron in State College, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, July 30, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (7/30/2009 UTC) at Webster's Cafe On Aaron in State College, Pennsylvania USA

In "The Zone" under the counter to the right.

Journal Entry 3 by grubsneerg from Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, August 01, 2009
Stopped by Webster's on Aaron after attending a conference in State College. Left three books in exchange for this one!

Journal Entry 4 by grubsneerg from Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, February 07, 2010
My little sister has been trying to get me to read this book for years, but she has never provided me with a copy of it. I was very pleased to find it at the Webster's on Aaron OBCZ last year, and am glad it has made it to the top of Mt. TBR, thanks to earthcaroleanne, who was looking for a bookring for this book. I offered my copy on the conditions that 1) I read it first, and 2) she arrange the bookring!

Journal Entry 5 by grubsneerg from Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, February 13, 2010
What a compelling, engrossing tale of the power of perfume. I know there have been many instances in my life when a particular scent can instantly transport me back to a different time and place--the smell of the ocean, hamburgers on a charcoal grill, a familiar cologne. Originally written in German, the book was translated beautifully; the poetry of all the fragrances life embodies remained intact. There were a couple of scenes toward the end of the book that were a bit over the top, but on the whole, it was an interesting read.

Journal Entry 6 by grubsneerg at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, February 20, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (2/20/2010 UTC) at Greensburg, Pennsylvania USA

Sending to earthcaroleanne to start her bookring/ray. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by wingearthcaroleannewing from Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 03, 2010
Just picked this up from the post office. Thanks so much for sending it to me along with the pencil and stickers too. Lovely!

Starting the bookray

earthcaroleanne (me)- book is here
silvia-pco- Portugal to EU
okyrhoe- Greece to worldwide

Journal Entry 8 by wingearthcaroleannewing from Falkirk, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 24, 2010
This is a strange little book. At first I was disappointed by the lack of murders but he soon caught up with that and the middle story was more than a little strange. However the descriptions of the smells around us all were fascinating. The sense of smell is very powerful and other readers have commented that certain smells can trigger memories but it also made me think of how we, just like the people in the book, can be manipulated by it. For example supermarkets pumping out the smell of freshly baked bread into the store.

Journal Entry 9 by wingearthcaroleannewing at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada on Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Released 11 yrs ago (3/24/2010 UTC) at Bookring/Bookray, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- Canada

On it's way to Portugal!

Journal Entry 10 by silvia-pco from Murtosa, Aveiro Portugal on Monday, March 29, 2010
It's here! I'm reading another book now, but this one will be next. I'll keep you posted. Thanks!

Journal Entry 11 by silvia-pco from Murtosa, Aveiro Portugal on Thursday, May 13, 2010
First of all, I'm sorry for keeping this past the one-month deadline, but this took me a little more that usual to finish up.

This is truly an unique book. I agree with earthcaroleanne when she says that at first she was a bit disappointed by the lack of murders, I felt that way too. However, that is soon worked out and the book proves to be true to its title. The way the author describes the different scents and stenches is overwhelming, I have never read a book in which the sense of smell was so notorious. Loved it, from the beginning until the end.

I'm just waiting for okyrhoe's address, and I'm planning to pop this on the mail tomorrow. Thanks for sharing!

May 14th - On its way to okyrhoe! Enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by okyrhoe at Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Monday, May 31, 2010
Arrived in Athens!

Thanks earthcaroleanne for including me in the ray, and silvia-pco for posting the book to me.

I received 5 books today, and since this is a ray, I hope it's allright if I don't get to this one right away.

Journal Entry 13 by okyrhoe at Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Wednesday, June 09, 2010
I agree with the suggestion that Perfume be read as a fairy tale. For in fairy tales, beasts and ogres are sometimes imbued with a tragic role. In Perfume, Grenouille's unique gift makes him dangerous to society, but what else could one expect of him, given the particulars of his fateful birth? And like fairy tales, the moral of the story is that passion can devolve into a tragically fatal obsession.
I didn't mind at all the author's over-the-top delight in describing grotesque situations with fascinating language. There were moments however when I resented the omniscience of the narration; in particular a couple of instances where the narrator pointed out the discrepancies between the modern readers' assumptions vis-a-vis the prevalent world-view or way of thinking in Grenouille's time.
And yes, reading the novel transformed me. I am now even more attuned to my perception of smell. I don't necessarily smell more or better now. But I can now identify and label particular smells better; it is easier for me to find the corresponding adjectives and associations. Eg, the way in which a sweaty human (male) gives off an odor very similar to cat feces. I don't know where or how Suskind researched these scents, they are indeed quite precise.

Journal Entry 14 by okyrhoe at book ring/ray, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (6/23/2010 UTC) at book ring/ray, By Mail/Post/Courier -- Controlled Releases

On its way by post to MKtiny. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 15 by MKtiny at Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Thursday, July 01, 2010
Arrived today, thanks okyrhoe. I've a book to finish, but I'm looking forward to reading this one next.

Journal Entry 16 by MKtiny at Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, July 23, 2010
Quite an uncomfortable read - not my usual kind of book, but it was an original, unconventional and highly interesting story. The character of Grenouille is completely unlovable, but you can't help hoping for some redeeming feature. The smelly details of life in eighteenth century France are eyewateringly realistic, and details of perfume making at that time are fascinating. I think that some of the richness of language has been probably lost in the translation from German, as there were a few anachronistic phrases here and there and it didn't flow as well as it could. I will seek out the film now and see how it compares. Thanks for sharing. Will be raying it forward soon - new list as follows:

oppem - USA - will post to Aus
bekoh - Australia - will post anywhere
jenm82 - Australia - will post anywhere
Jujuks - Portugal - EU shipping preferred.

Subject to a little jiggling around if more would like to join.

Journal Entry 17 by MKtiny at Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Saturday, July 24, 2010
Finished reading this yesterday and I have to agree - the ending is just too much! On its way to oppem tomorrow.

Journal Entry 18 by wingoppemwing at Hermiston, Oregon USA on Tuesday, August 03, 2010
This book arrived in post today - am just about to start another 'ray' which arrived yesterday. BUT, this one will be next in line TBR. Really looking forward to the read -- I did see the movie about 2 years ago with my daughter & thought it very good. Now at last I will get to read the book. Thanks for sending.

Journal Entry 19 by wingoppemwing at Hermiston, Oregon USA on Sunday, August 08, 2010
Just finished reading this and not really sure what to say about it.
It is now a long time since watching the movie version (which I enjoyed very much).. This left me somewhat disappointed which is unusual as I nearly always prefer the book to the movie. That said I did enjoy reading this book and as has already been noted it really is more like a fairy tale than a murder / mystery novel. Thanks for a good read - will try to send it on its way again next week sometime.

Journal Entry 20 by wingoppemwing at Salamander Bay, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (8/10/2010 UTC) at Salamander Bay, New South Wales Australia

Am sending this 'roving book' on its next journey - hope bekoh enjoys the read as much as I did.

Journal Entry 21 by bekoh at Salamander Bay, New South Wales Australia on Friday, August 27, 2010
Received today. Thanks for sending it on. It looks interesting.

Journal Entry 22 by bekoh at Salamander Bay, New South Wales Australia on Saturday, August 28, 2010
Wow! I really enjoyed this book. I agree with the previous JE that this could be read as a fairy-tale but I also saw Grenouille as a tragic figure who was obsessed with what he didn't have.

Another analogy could be that Grenouille, a man with no perfume, was a man born with no soul. Look at what he did to make the perfect perfume.

Journal Entry 23 by bekoh at Artarmon, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (9/22/2010 UTC) at Artarmon, New South Wales Australia

Posted off finally! Sorry it took a while. Between illness & moving house I just didn't get to the PO.

Journal Entry 24 by jenm82 at Artarmon, New South Wales Australia on Sunday, September 26, 2010
Arrived last week, just started reading it.

Journal Entry 25 by jenm82 at Artarmon, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, October 06, 2010
Like someone else mentioned, I expected the murders to be a little more detailed, however, I still thoroughly enjoyed this book. Grenouille was a creepy character indeed, and the descriptions of the various scents he concocted, as well as the importance of scent to all of us, was fascinating. It is not just our personalities that help us to blend and fit in, but the very way we smell, also. I have the movie here at home and I plan to watch that next.

This is my first bookray and what a great experience! I can't wait to participate in the next one. Thanks!

Journal Entry 26 by jenm82 at Artarmon, New South Wales Australia on Monday, October 11, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (10/11/2010 UTC) at Artarmon, New South Wales Australia

On its way to Jujuks!

Journal Entry 27 by Jujuks at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, November 08, 2010
Thank you for sending the book jenm82. I've got another book to finish before this one but I'll try not to take long.

Journal Entry 28 by Jujuks at Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Sunday, December 05, 2010
I really enjoyed reading this book even though it's not something I normally read. I found the ending very macabre but kind of awesome in a very weird way.

I seem to be the last person on this bookray so I'll see what I can do to keep the book travelling.

Journal Entry 29 by Jujuks at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Monday, December 13, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (12/13/2010 UTC) at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom

Sent as a RABCK to megmac.

Journal Entry 30 by Megmac at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Thursday, December 23, 2010
Thank you so much for sending me this, so kind of you. I will try and keep it travelling once I've read it

Journal Entry 31 by Megmac at Birmingham, West Midlands United Kingdom on Friday, March 25, 2011
I'm really not sure what I thought of this - it was decidedly odd and not what I was expecting at all. I agree with all the comments about it being more of fairy tale than a murder mystery which was a surprise. The beginning is remarkable then the middle sags and it never really comes back again.

Thanks for sending me this. I am definitely glad I read it, was certainly an experience.

Taking to BCBirmingham meetup