The Host: A Novel

by Stephenie Meyer | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by Moops of Tucson, Arizona USA on 6/18/2008
Journal Entry 1 by Moops from Tucson, Arizona USA on Wednesday, June 18, 2008
This is not the kind of book I would generally read. However, I'd heard so much about the previous trilogy that this author wrote I thought I'd check her out.

To me, it was just a very strange and interesting plot. She writes well, very descriptive and this is a long book! The book kept my interest and I enjoyed it; but I'm not sure I would buy another of her books. It was a nice entertaining idle but I didn't feel I'd accomplished much after I read it except to fill time. If I had summertime reading time as I did this year, I would look for one of her books as a trade or such. I know this book was really looked for by her fans so I'm hoping to make some BXers happy.

Journal Entry 2 by Moops from Tucson, Arizona USA on Wednesday, June 25, 2008
I've started a bookring for The Host and I hope it tavels far and wide. It is now on its way to Portugal. You can see the list on my bookshelf. Also, should you wish to get on the list, please PM me.

Journal Entry 3 by rem_UFK-537438 on Monday, June 30, 2008
It's here. I have some bookrings that I'm reading, but I will start this one today too.
Thanks!!!!

17/07/08: I'm loving the book!

Journal Entry 4 by rem_UFK-537438 on Friday, July 25, 2008
I've loved it! I hope Stephenie Meyer will create a sequel of this book!
Thank you moops, thank you, thank you, thank you!
I loved Wanda, what a great soul! And Ian, what a wonderful man!
I've sent fushmush a pm. When I have the address, I'll send it.

29/07/08: fushmush is not respondig to my Pm's. I'll contact the next reader in the list.

Journal Entry 5 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Friday, September 12, 2008
I have it. It's a mammoth book isn't it. It's next on my TBR pile.

Journal Entry 6 by fushmush from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Another very trashy novel from Meyers. An interesting concept which I’m not sure she quite pulls off. Although, I was very impressed with how she wrapped it all up. I love a happy ending (and it gives me faith for the ending of the Twilight series which I am yet to read.)

The novel was a bit slow in parts and I found myself reading ahead a lot. I think I read the end section 3 or 4 times by the time I was done. Meyers is suffering from success and a lack of editing. (like Rowling for Harry Potter 5).

A good enough trashy read with a different and interesting premise.

(Not sure why this is classed as an adult novel and the twilight series is classified as a teen novel. I can’t tell the difference apart from the age difference of the main characters. )

I have PMed the next in line and am waiting to hear back.

Update (06/10): Still haven't heard back from frangelle. Trying one more time before moving to the next on the list.
Update (08/10): Have PMed the next on the list.

Journal Entry 7 by fushmush at sent to the next bookcrosser, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, October 10, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (10/10/2008 UTC) at sent to the next bookcrosser, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Posted to Nikel27.

Journal Entry 8 by nikel27 from -- Irgendwo / Somewhere --, Hessen Germany on Thursday, October 16, 2008
arrived safe at my house, 2 more BookRings before I can start here.

update:
Great read, thanks for sharing with me.

Journal Entry 9 by nikel27 at Book Ring, Ginsheim -- Controlled Releases on Monday, November 03, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (11/3/2008 UTC) at Book Ring, Ginsheim -- Controlled Releases

EnJoy the book as I did,

Journal Entry 10 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Wednesday, November 12, 2008
Wow, I totally forgot this one was coming, so I guess I need to quickly read The Eclipse which is on my TBR pile. Usually I keep rings maximum one to two weeks, but I just might need the whole four weeks for this one - not because it will take me long to read (if it's like the others it will be an all-nighter, which is why I've been delaying picking up The Eclipse), but because I do have a few other rings here already, not to mention lots of work. Thanks so much for sending, and I'll do my best to keep it moving quickly.

Journal Entry 11 by wingpenelopewanderswing from Hasliberg, Bern / Berne Switzerland on Tuesday, December 02, 2008
Foolishly perhaps, I felt compelled to read Eclipse and Breaking Dawn before tackling this one, which of course is in no way related. The kids I teach are however thrilled that I read those, now I can explain the tragic flaw in terms of Bella, Jake and Edward... But back to this one.
I was not expecting this type of story at all, and it took me the better part of 100 pages to accept it and start getting into it. And then it took off. I really enjoyed this story (and am toying with the idea of using it in a class) and the whole reflection on what is human (humane) and what is not... I'll PM for the next address and try to send it along as soon as possible. Thanks so much!

Journal Entry 12 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Bookring, .---controlled release---. Switzerland on Wednesday, December 03, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (12/3/2008 UTC) at Bookring, .---controlled release---. Switzerland

This is now on its way to the UK... just a whisper under a kilo - whew, even slow post gets pricey, so hopefully this will slide quickly on the ice and make it there without getting caught up in Christmas post. Thanks so much for making this book available - I've already ordered a copy which will find its way under the tree in a few weeks, for other members of the family to enjoy too!

Journal Entry 13 by katrinat from Southend-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 10, 2008
Arrived today, looking forward to breaking up for xmas and being able to curl up with this and a big blanket.

Journal Entry 14 by katrinat from Southend-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 31, 2008
**SPOILER ALERT**
I read this in one day (with the exception of the first 50 pages which really dragged). Once I had got into the story and understood what was happening I really enjoyed the way the book spanned out. The battle and friendship between Wanda and Melanie and her loved ones.
I was shocked when she fell in love with Ian, so very unlikely. I was also never sure why Jeb accepted her immediately when they had obviously been killing hosts for ages.
The other thing which was strange was that this was classed as an adult novel, the main character is 17, the story is never overly sexual (less so that Twilight), and nothing is any more graphic than other teen books I have read. I think their just trying to find her a wider audience. I have 3 more books from the Twilight series to read in 2009.
Will ship off to the US at the weekend. Thanks for sharing

Journal Entry 15 by KarenZero from Maplewood, New Jersey USA on Friday, April 03, 2009
Yay! The book arrived safely. Will read it ASAP.

Journal Entry 16 by KarenZero from Maplewood, New Jersey USA on Sunday, June 21, 2009
I'm so sorry I've had this for so long! I had unexpected surgery and was never able to finish. I will send this on ASAP!

MsJoanna asked to be skipped. Will send on as soon as I get the next address.

Sent on to Gecko4ever on 7/15/09!

Journal Entry 17 by gecko4ever from Rancho Cucamonga, California USA on Wednesday, July 22, 2009
Received it and will start on it today. Thanks for hosting "the host" I am excited to read it.

Journal Entry 18 by gecko4ever from Rancho Cucamonga, California USA on Thursday, August 13, 2009
What a good read. The little voices in our own heads, what do they say?

Journal Entry 19 by kaila-ann from Galivants Ferry, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, September 29, 2009
Finally got here, will start this as soon as I finish the book that I am reading right now.

Journal Entry 20 by kaila-ann from Galivants Ferry, South Carolina USA on Tuesday, October 27, 2009
Couldn't get in to this book at all which was really disappointing. I might try to pick this book up later but right now I'm going to move it along since so many people are waiting on it.

Journal Entry 21 by kaila-ann at Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA on Friday, October 30, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (10/30/2009 UTC) at Myrtle Beach, South Carolina USA

Mailing off today to the next person in line.

Journal Entry 22 by wingBkind2bookswing from Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Tuesday, November 03, 2009
Received today - thanks! Will put at the top of my ever-growing TBR pile. :-)

Journal Entry 23 by wingBkind2bookswing from Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Monday, December 21, 2009
Overall, a pretty good read although I must say it has several drawbacks. I had read the entire Twilight series last year and I guess I expected the same kind of story with aliens. This book takes some time to really get into, whereas with the Twilight series it grabbed you by the throat from page one and did not let go. I feel, like some of the others that have journaled here, that this book suffered from a lack of editing. That said, I still found this an original concept and treatment of what it is to be human. I had read it was about an alien inhabiting a human's body and the love triangle that develops, but calling it a love triangle is deceptive. It definitely a love pentagon - maybe even hexagon. There's Melanie/Wanda - the human/alien woman who goes off in search of her loves (Jared and Jamie). She finds them in an enclave of humans hiding out in the desert and develops a close relationship with some of the other humans. There is a happy ending but not without some reaching on the author's part. I did think that one premise of this story did not make much sense - the 'souls', what the alien race is called, are a very gentle and peaceful race. So why are they going around invading other worlds and taking over other sentient beings?? Doesn't this sort of go against everything they believe in? This was my one problem with the logic of this story. As has been said elsewhere here, there is no reason that teens would not appreciate this book - there is nothing inappropriate or disturbing.

Will send on to the next person in this ring. Thank you so much , Moops, for organizing this.

Journal Entry 24 by wingBkind2bookswing at Clarksville, Tennessee USA on Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (12/23/2009 UTC) at Clarksville, Tennessee USA

Mailed off today.

Delivery confirmation #0309 1140 0001 4298 2624

Journal Entry 25 by rebeccaljames from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Saturday, January 16, 2010
I received this book a while ago. I am looking forward to reading. I will get to it as soon as possible but please let me know if I keep it for too long I tend to lose track of time. Thank you for sharing.