Shakespeare: The World as a Stage (Eminent Lives)

by Bill Bryson | Biographies & Memoirs |
ISBN: 9780007197903 Global Overview for this book
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 6/16/2008
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, June 16, 2008
I've not got on very well with Bryson's non-travel works, but I have to give this ago! I recently a biog of Dickens which inspired me to pick up a classic...hopefully this will do the same? Bought with a birfday pressie book voucher...are there any better gifts!?

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 28, 2008
(27/10) As BB points out a lot of times, there are very few biographical details available on the life of Shakespeare; and even what is 'known' tends to be an accumulation of conjecture, best guesses and received wisdom. And BB's addition to this 4,000 a year Stratford industry? Well he is always witty and thorough, gives lots of anecdotes and his strong opinion on some of the myths. The best bit for me was the background to the life and times of WB; Elizabethan and Jacobean culture, politics and theatre-going habits, a c16th visitors guide to London. Fascinating.

Released 11 yrs ago (10/27/2008 UTC) at The Old Inn in Bandipur, Gandaki (incl. Pokhara, Gorkha, Bandipur) Nepal

We had a great night in this lovely restored Newari inn, and the beautiful hill-top village. I've left the book on the little bookcase...although I know that one of our party has already picked it up! I hope to see you here soon??

Journal Entry 4 by wonderwoman13 from Cambridge, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Monday, November 03, 2008
I caught the book purely by chance whilst on a trip from Dehli to Kathmandu in Oct 08. I had just had a conversation with a member:bookgroupman about the concept. I picked the book up out of curiosity not realising he had released it. As promised I have joined to community (I know he didnt think I would!!) and look forward to reading it and many others to come :)