The Dig

by John Preston | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
Registered by BookGroupMan of Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on 6/16/2008
Journal Entry 1 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, June 16, 2008
Fiction, I think, but definitely a story built around the true events surrounding Sutton Hoo and the Viking discovery, very close to where I live in my adopted Suffolk.

Journal Entry 2 by BookGroupMan from Criccieth, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, August 06, 2008
(3/08) I’m desperate to know how much of this is true. I can’t believe the British muddling and the political background of the discovery of King Raedwald’s burial ship above Woodbridge, on the banks of the lazy sandy Deden. Anyhoo, it’s Anglo-Saxon not Viking, and I am pleased I was there when it was still a windy under-developed site, not the present polished tourist centre.

Besides the central story of ‘the dig’, John Preston does a good job giving characters and back stories to all the leads; the owner of the treasure trove Mrs Pretty, the simple bluff local archaeologist Basil Brown, his nemesis the overbearing Charles Phillips (to name but a few), even the gathering clouds of WWII play a part. A nicely paced story, which drifts a bit at the end, keeping to the facts I guess? An enjoyable 6 ½ or 7 :)

Released 11 yrs ago (8/9/2008 UTC) at Caffe Nero IP1 book-crossing zone in Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom

Taking along to the monthly meet-up in Caffe Nero...to share or to help stock the shelves :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingsoffitta1wing from Ipswich, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, August 09, 2008
Picked up at the meetup, let it go past once, but cracked the second time. I started reading it on the way home and a lady stopped me at Manningtree station to ask if she should buy it. (I'd only read 30 pages, but seemed good, so said yes!)

A good read, rivalries in the dig, an interesting look at the 1930's methods of excavation. The book gave glimpses into the private lives of those involved, their motivations and why they are at the dig (I could really see the shocked and slighted look on Stuart's face when he was told he was not picked for his academic work, but for his size!). I agree that it does seem to slide away at the end, not really giving the most satisfying conclusion.

Journal Entry 5 by wingsoffitta1wing at The Purple Dog, Eld Lane OBCZ in Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (8/27/2008 UTC) at The Purple Dog, Eld Lane OBCZ in Colchester, Essex United Kingdom

Mum's putting the car in for a service, so have convinced her to have lunch at the Dog, where I'll be dropping this off.