The Good Women of China: Hidden Voices

by Xinran | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by beeofgoodcheer of Stowmarket, Suffolk United Kingdom on 6/12/2008
Journal Entry 1 by beeofgoodcheer from Stowmarket, Suffolk United Kingdom on Thursday, June 12, 2008
Permanent Collection

Journal Entry 2 by beeofgoodcheer from Stowmarket, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, July 19, 2008
I read this on a ring originally, and was so touched by it I acquired another copy for my PC.

Kittiwake is doing a similar challenge to the A to Z challenge I did, which was how I came across Xinran in the first place, so it seems appropriate to let her borrow this book :o)

Journal Entry 3 by beeofgoodcheer at A BookCrosser, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, July 19, 2008

Released 13 yrs ago (7/19/2008 UTC) at A BookCrosser, A Bookcrossing member -- Controlled Releases

To be passed over at the Nottingham Bookcrossing Meet.

Journal Entry 4 by kittiwake on Saturday, July 19, 2008
Thank you for bringing this book to the meet-up, so that I can read it for the A to Z Challenge.

To be returned to Beebarf!

Journal Entry 5 by kittiwake on Thursday, August 14, 2008
I'm very glad that I wasn't born a Chinese woman during the 20th century, since the women Xinran interviewed for her radio show seemed to have uniformly harrowing lives. My favourite chapter was about the children's home run by women who lost had their own children in the 1976 earthquake, with the story of the girl who died fourteen days after the earthquake being particularly traumatic. When I read the last chapter of the book, I was stunned that the villagers of Shouting Hill lived in such primitive conditions as late as 1996, but according to Xinran, they were the only women she spoke to who were actually happy.

Book "X" in the A to Z Challenge.

Journal Entry 6 by beeofgoodcheer from Stowmarket, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, September 20, 2008
Returned up at the Nottingham meet - thank you!