Wonder Boys

by Michael Chabon | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by tamarabk of Lynnwood, Washington USA on 4/1/2003
Journal Entry 1 by tamarabk from Lynnwood, Washington USA on Tuesday, April 01, 2003
I love this book!! It is very, very funny and well-written. This is a story about a one-hit wonder in middle age. A college professor who wrote one great book and has been floundering around ever since. The book follows Grady throughout a comical weekend of bad decisions and introduces us to the host of brilliant and eccentric characters that surround him.
I don't want to get too specific about the plot because that would spoil the fun but I highly reccomend this book - even to the two or three people out there who did not like his pulitzer-prize winning The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay.

Journal Entry 2 by tamarabk from Lynnwood, Washington USA on Tuesday, April 01, 2003
This book is making its way to bayouposte in Louisiana...

Journal Entry 3 by bayouposte from Bossier City, Louisiana USA on Friday, April 04, 2003
Wonder Boys arrived last night, and I was surprised and delighted to find the lagniappe of Carver's poems and Gallagher's essay. All are in the TBR stack, and I will journal again as soon as I've read them. Thanks, Tamarabk!

Journal Entry 4 by bayouposte from Bossier City, Louisiana USA on Tuesday, April 29, 2003
Chabon's prose is so evocative that sometimes I reread and study the sentences, trying to see how he gets such a mixture of emotions ionto a pprinted page. He has that rare talent of making readers aactually feel what he is writing about.

Unlike many readers, I didn't laugh at loud; I smiled often, but in spite of the humour, I was always worried...about James and Sara and Grady, himself.

Wonder Boys reminds me of A Confederacy of Dunces, but less dark, funnier, and with characters that are *closer* to normal and easier to identify with.

I'm impressed with Chabon's versatility and talent.
Thanks, Tamarabk, for sharing!