*A Thousand Splendid Suns

by Khaled Hosseini | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by braemar of Braemar, Scotland United Kingdom on 6/5/2008
Journal Entry 1 by braemar from Braemar, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, June 05, 2008
A wonderful, compelling book that took my breath away. Yet again Hossieni has based this book in Afghanistan and pulled off the remarkable feat of weaving the history of that beleaguered country with the tale of characters that are completely beguiling. The main protagonists are Miriam and Liala, two women who hail from very different spectrums of Afghani society but who are thrown together by the tumultous society they must inhabit, their relationship is complex and desperately touching.
My only complaint is that I was unable to put the book down and gobbled it up far too quickly, and now I want to share it instantly.

Journal Entry 2 by braemar at postal release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- New Zealand on Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (8/20/2008 UTC) at postal release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- New Zealand

I have EVENTUALLY got round to posting this on off - sorry it has taken so long. Hopefully it will have a speedy trip!

Journal Entry 3 by Otakuu from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Friday, August 29, 2008
Arrived home to discover this awaiting my arrival. Only 8 days from Scotland!!!!!!! Looking forward to reading it after The Kite Runner

Journal Entry 4 by Otakuu at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, January 15, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (1/15/2009 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

If this is the first BookCrossing book you have ever found, Haere Mai - Welcome.
I hope you join me in this wonderful world

I have tried several times to read this book but despite the excellent writing, I fear the subject matter got in the road.

I have sent it on its journey again with the intention of trying it again in the future.

Released by hand to FutureCat

Journal Entry 5 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, January 15, 2009
Received from Otakuu last night, so I can read it before passing it on to Mahinaarangi.

^ ^
=+=
v

Journal Entry 6 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, March 02, 2009
Khaled Hosseini's writing can never be said to be easy to read. He paints such a vivid picture of life in Afghanistan in the last turbulent few decades that you can't help feeling deeply all the pain and despair he obviously feels for his homeland. But among the sorrow there are tiny touches of warmth, of human kindness, of hope, that alleviate the horror just enough to keep you reading through your tears, so that, as Braemar says, you find yourself unable to put the book down.

Amazing writing.

^ ^
=+=
v

16 November 2012: Released at the Friday night dinner at Three Mothers Thai, Canberra during UnCAN 2012. (Oops, just noticed I was supposed to pass it on to Mahinaarangi - oh well, hopefully she managed to find another copy in the meantime!)

Journal Entry 7 by wingGhaneschawing at Gmunden, Oberösterreich Austria on Sunday, November 18, 2012
I read this good book in german...I bring it to Perth in a OBCZ

Released 6 yrs ago (12/16/2012 UTC) at An eine Freundin in -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Bayern Germany

traveling with the girlfriend -Siobhán- of my sonto Ireland..
after she has read the book, she brings to the OBCZ Cork