The Lilac Bus

by Maeve Binchy | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by mady of Reading, Berkshire United Kingdom on 3/31/2003
Journal Entry 1 by mady from Reading, Berkshire United Kingdom on Monday, March 31, 2003
This was my first try with Maeve Binchy and will not be the last book I read from her. This is a somewhat light novel that shows how everybody has his/her own problems/secrets, despite leading a "normal" life under other persons eyes. Nancy was a bit irritating character...

This book will soon travel a bit in Lisbon before the big trip to the UK.

*promised to BCer Swan-scot*

Journal Entry 2 by mfa from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Thursday, July 10, 2003
i got this book from mady and i promised i'd have it read pretty soon so that it can continue its journey. i've never read maeve binchy, and i guess i'll have a lot of catching up to do...

Journal Entry 3 by mfa from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Tuesday, July 15, 2003
this was a rather simple book - and what's wrong with that? give me irish women's light fiction anytime, i don't mind. of course i couldn't praise it too much for its literary value, because the characters are a bit too straightforward to be real, and there's a rather soap opera happy-ending touch to it. however, binchy managed to get an interesting set of characters put together, and give us different aspects or slices of irish life... it feels like now that her characters are well built, they could go on and be part of a real novel. how interesting is that back in the eighties the issues were (already) homophobia, eating disorders, drinking problems and lack of communication inside the family?

Journal Entry 4 by mady from Reading, Berkshire United Kingdom on Friday, August 01, 2003
Yesterday I finally had the energy & time to go to the PO and mail this to swan-scot. When I got there, I had 2 persons in front of me and I had to wait t-w-e-n-t-y minutes for my turn and then I was done in only 5 seconds!!! Sorry... I had to vent ;)
Have a nice trip little book!

Journal Entry 5 by swan-scot from Inverness, Scotland United Kingdom on Tuesday, August 05, 2003
I received this today from mady. Thanks. I look forward to reading this and shall be back to write my comments when I've finished.

Journal Entry 6 by swan-scot from Inverness, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, August 30, 2003
A simple little quick read. The characters are introduced to us a chapter at a time, but as they come from a small village in west Ireland, they are interlinked in some or other. There were no great surprises in this book and no real depth given to any of the characters, but it was okay for a light read between other books which demand more from teeh reader.

Journal Entry 7 by swan-scot at Inverness Bus Station, Farraline Park in Inverness, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 03, 2003
Released on Wednesday, September 03, 2003 at Inverness Bus Station, Farraline Park in Inverness, Scotland United Kingdom.

Left on a bench beside one of the bus stops.