The Cigarette Girl.

by Carol Wolper | Women's Fiction |
Registered by Pixielaughs of Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on 3/31/2003
Journal Entry 1 by Pixielaughs from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Monday, March 31, 2003
This is the story of a smart girl trying to date seriously for the first time. The problem is, she lives and works in Los Angeles. And for a non-bimbo in a town that thoroughly celebrates bimbosity, it was never going to be easy....

WARNING. May be hazardous to conventional romantic fantasies. Read at your own risk.

Journal Entry 2 by gwilk from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Saturday, April 18, 2009
Found this in my bookshelf as a book to register for bookcrossing - but, hello, it is already registered. So, thought this was a gift from my neighbour for bookcrossing. Now I don't know how it got to me from Pixielaughs, but it is still alive and well and ready to continue its bookcrossing journey.

Journal Entry 3 by gwilk at Cranbrook Avenue in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, May 28, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (5/28/2009 UTC) at Cranbrook Avenue in Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

On the bus stop near the Grahams Rd end.

Journal Entry 4 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, May 28, 2009
I was running late this morning, so caught the bus instead of walking to work. And now I'm glad I did, because when I got to the bus stop I discovered a book waiting there! (Gwilk's obviously been out and about releasing this morning, because I spotted another book lurking in a bus stop on Clyde Road as we went past).

At first glance this didn't look like my kind of book, and I was intending to just re-release it after journalling to say I'd caught it, but I've just noticed the blurb on the back includes a positive review from Bret Easton Ellis, so maybe it'll be worth a read after all.

v

Journal Entry 5 by futurecat from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Sunday, June 07, 2009
Opening The Cigarette Girl and explaining the title is a quote from one of Carrie Fisher's books, which is appropriate (and coincidental, seeing as I just read another of Fisher's books a few days ago), because Wolper's style and subject material (intelligent woman making her way in the superficiality that is Hollywood) is very similar to Fisher's (though perhaps without her edge of mania).

I do approve of the twist she gives to what could have otherwise been a standard romance plot :-)

v

Journal Entry 6 by futurecat at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Tuesday, June 09, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (6/9/2009 UTC) at Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand

Given to another bookcrosser at tonight's meetup.

v

Journal Entry 7 by erinsgreenshore from Christchurch, Canterbury New Zealand on Thursday, June 11, 2009
Picked this book up at the monthly meet up at Cafe Bleau two nights ago. Looks like it should be quite a good read.

Released 10 yrs ago (6/26/2009 UTC) at Courtenay Place (details in notes) in Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand

Although I'm not usually into "romance" novels I really enjoyed this book. It was very. very readable. Thought the ending was a bit 'weak' compared to the rest of the book though. Shame! In Wellington at the moment so will release this book today when I head into town. Courtney Place... somewhere.