The Passion (Contemporary classics)

by Jeanette Winterson | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by katrinat of Southend-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on 5/29/2008
Journal Entry 1 by katrinat from Southend-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on Thursday, May 29, 2008
This is a replacement copy for the one that went missing on the bookring.

Bookring participants:
chich (France, intl)
afraberg (Netherlands, intl)
Tubereader (Lux, intl) its here
frangelle (uk)
starflash (uk, uk only if poss)
brunton11 (pref UK/EU can doINTL if needed)
tootshelling (Germany, intl) Its here
TonyAlmeida (Portugal, Europe)
seethroughfaith (last if poss to add to 1001 library, finland)

I'm sending this to BooksnBeer to get the bookring back up and running

Previous BCID page: http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/5881088

2nd Replacement copy can be found at: JE: http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/7114281

Journal Entry 2 by BooksnBeer from Annandale, Virginia USA on Wednesday, June 04, 2008
Received this in yesterday's mail. Looks interesting and a quick read - I'll journal more after I have finished the book.

Journal Entry 3 by BooksnBeer from Annandale, Virginia USA on Wednesday, June 18, 2008
Well - I can't say I really enjoyed that. I did finish it, and I am not really following the Passion thread - good or bad? I guess I didn't really like the writing style. You can't like them all..

I hope the next reader sees something in this that I didn't. "I'm telling a story", maybe the author didn't use that phase enough for me.

I have the next address and will be sending it on this weekend.

Journal Entry 4 by BooksnBeer from Annandale, Virginia USA on Monday, June 23, 2008
This is on it's way to the next person in the list - enjoy.

Journal Entry 5 by FarheenAltaf from Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania USA on Thursday, August 07, 2008
I enjoyed the book. Thank you for sharing.

Mailed it today to Olered.

Journal Entry 6 by olered from Salem, Oregon USA on Tuesday, August 19, 2008
The Passion arrived today (that was fast) and is at a lull in Book rings for me so I can start reading it right away. It seems to have mixed-reviews - I'm curious.

Amazon.co.uk Review
In 1985 Jeanette Winterson won the Whitbread Award for best first fiction for the semi-autobiographical Oranges are not the Only Fruit, an often wry exploration of lesbian possibility bumping up against evangelical fanaticism. She was 25. Two years later, The Passion, her third novel, appeared, the fantastical tale of Henri--Napoleon's cook--and Villanelle, a Venetian gondolier's daughter who has webbed feet (previously an all-male attribute), works as a croupier, picks pockets, cross-dresses and literally loses her heart to a beautiful woman. Written in a lyrical and jolting combination of fairy-tale diction and rhythm and the staccato, the book would be a risky proposition in lesser hands. Winterson has said that she wanted to look at people's need to worship and examine what happens to young men in militaristic societies. The question was, how to do so without being polemical and didactic? Only she could have come up with such an exquisite answer. In the end, Henri, incarcerated on an island of madmen, becomes aware that his passion, "even though she could never return it, showed me the difference between inventing a lover and falling in love. The one is about you, the other about someone else." --Amazon.com

Synopsis
Winner of the 1987 John Llewelyn Rhys Memorial Prize, this psychological fantasy is about two disillusioned young people who seek to revive their former passions. The book is concerned with gambling, madness and androgynous sexuality amidst the dark, deceptive canals of Venice.

Journal Entry 7 by olered from Salem, Oregon USA on Friday, September 12, 2008
I was grumbling to myself about the book and thinking to put it down but about 60 or seventy pages in I began to see the merit of the book. Ended up giving it a yea - not a nay. Even thinking it was good. It was 'slow' reading for me, am not sure why , no difficult words or strange brouge. Now to Sidney1 .

Journal Entry 8 by Sidney1 from München, Bayern Germany on Monday, October 06, 2008
Arrived safely in the post today. Thank you for sending it from the US, olered! Sounds like opinions are divided on this book. I wonder what I will think ...

Journal Entry 9 by Sidney1 from München, Bayern Germany on Monday, October 20, 2008
Unfortunately, I was not enthralled with this book. It’s a quick read, and some passages are touching or interesting, but on the whole the outcome is too negative and the writing isn’t good enough. Winterson seems incapable of giving each main character his or her own voice. The part of the story told by Henri sounded very much like the one told by Villanelle: the style, the way of thinking is the same. This also means that Henri does not come across as a man, as he seems much too sensitive, too emotional.

The writer seems to be in love with certain phrases such as “somewhere between fear and sex passion is” and “you play, you win, you play, you lose, you play”. She makes her characters repeat them regularly, which I find a little tiring (banging home a message). There are a couple of interesting historic facts (the vivandières) and philosophical points (Gambling is not a vice, it is an expression of our humanness). For me the best sentence is: “Hopeless heart (…) that longs for certainty, fidelity, compassion and plays roulette with anything precious.” And if I get one good sentence out of a book it was already worth reading! So thank you, katrinat, for organising the ring!

Have asked for Tuttasb's address.

Journal Entry 10 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Thursday, November 20, 2008
Arrived here today. Thanks katrinat for including me in the bookring, and Sidney1 for posting it to me!

Update Dec 8: iliotropio asked to be skipped, contacting chich now.

----------

I agree with Sidney1, I wish there was more depth to the characters. Henri and Villanelle didn't have a life of their own, their supposed first-person narration came out as if they were actually mouthpieces for phrases and remarks belonging to someone else (the author?).
In the Villanelle sections one can rationalize this through the theme of life as a card game & one's fate being dealt by the hand of a higher power. In the Henri sections though, I understood the theme as the absence of divine design.
At the novel's end, it wasn't clear whether the contradiction between these views is resolved.

Journal Entry 11 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Friday, January 02, 2009
Image hosting by Photobucket Book received today, thanks so much for passing it on okyrhoe & thanks for the little gift! Thanks for starting this ring katrinat :o)

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!

Journal Entry 12 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Monday, January 05, 2009
I have to say I didn't enjoy this book at all. I didn't like Winterson's writing style and found the book so boring I struggled to finish it.

Thanks anyway for sharing katrinat!

afraberg asked to be skipped so I'll be sending this book to tubereader.

Journal Entry 13 by chich from Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Thursday, January 08, 2009
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Book sent to tubereader today, enjoy!

Entry #1 for the 2009 Keep Them Moving Challenge

Journal Entry 14 by Tubereader from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Wednesday, February 04, 2009
The book has arrived safely to Luxembourg. I have some rings ahead of it but hopefully it will not take me to long to get to it.

Thanks katrinat for sharing and chich for sending it to me!

Journal Entry 15 by Tubereader from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Wednesday, March 18, 2009
Just a quick update to let everybody know that I have started reading this book. Sorry for the delay! I will update this JE and PM the next in line when I am half way through the book.

Released 10 yrs ago (3/25/2009 UTC) at Aereo - Volo Luxembourg-Milano in -- aeroporti e aerei --, Lombardia Italy

Forgot this book in an airplane, hopefully it will find a loving home!

I have bought a replacement copy for this book and it is now under this JE: http://www.bookcrossing.com/journal/7114281