A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian

by Marina Lewycka, | Humor |
ISBN: 9780141020525 Global Overview for this book
Registered by nawoo82 of Brisbane, Queensland Australia on 5/25/2008
Journal Entry 1 by nawoo82 from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Sunday, May 25, 2008
Blurb from the back cover:

'Two years after my mother died, my father fell in love with a glamorous blonde Ukrainian divorcee. He was eighty-four and she was thirty-six. She exploded into our lives like a fluffy pink grenade, churning up the murky water, bringing to the surface a sludge of sloughed-off memories, giving the family ghosts a kick up the backside.'

Sisters Vera and Nadezhda must put aside a lifetime of feuding to save their émigré engineer father from voluptuous gold-digger Valentina. With her proclivity for green satin underwear and boil-in-the-bag cuisine, she will stop at nothing in her pursuit of Western wealth.
But the sisters' campaign to oust Valentina unearths family secrets, uncovers fifty years of Europe's darkest history and sends them back to roots they'd much rather forget...

A very funny book that mixes family stories and secrets with Europe's dark history in WWII. A light read, and a good moment in perspective.

Journal Entry 2 by nawoo82 at on Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (6/10/2008 UTC) at

In MooMoo's Book Baggie!

Journal Entry 3 by froggirlwendy from Brisbane, Queensland Australia on Thursday, June 12, 2008
Removed from MooMoo's Surprise book baggie :o)

Journal Entry 4 by froggirlwendy at Boondall, Queensland Australia on Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (7/22/2008 UTC) at Boondall, Queensland Australia

I ended up with another copy of this so..........
Wishlist RABCK on it's way to awaywithfairies :o)

Journal Entry 5 by wingawaywithfairieswing from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Monday, July 28, 2008
Received in the mail today. Many thanks!

Journal Entry 6 by wingawaywithfairieswing from Sydney, New South Wales Australia on Wednesday, October 28, 2009
I've had this book for quite a while now and have only just got around to reading it! Having said that, once I started, I finished it really quickly.

It wasn't quite what I expected (exactly what *was* I expecting?) but I enjoyed it. Despite the unusual family circumstances described in the book, I could see family quirks that I could identify with. What does that say about me?

Journal Entry 7 by wingawaywithfairieswing at Fresh on Charles cafe in Launceston, Tasmania Australia on Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (10/28/2009 UTC) at Fresh on Charles cafe in Launceston, Tasmania Australia

Left on magazine stand just inside the entrance.

Release #42 of the 2009 Tick Tock Challenge.