Hell House

by Richard Matheson | Horror |
Registered by CollegeLady of La Mesa, California USA on 5/24/2008
Journal Entry 1 by CollegeLady from La Mesa, California USA on Saturday, May 24, 2008
From Amazon.com:

"Rolf Rudolph Deutsch is going die. But when Deutsch, a wealthy magazine and newpaper publisher, starts thinking seriously about his impending death, he offers to pay a physicist and two mediums, one physical and one mental, $100,000 each to establish the facts of life after death.

Dr. Lionel Barrett, the physicist, accompanied by the mediums, travel to the Belasco House in Maine, which has been abandoned and sealed since 1949 after a decade of drug addiction, alcoholism, and debauchery. For one night, Barrett and his colleagues investigate the Belasco House and learn exactly why the townfolks refer to it as the Hell House.

From the Publisher
"Hell House is the scariest haunted house novel ever written. It looms over the rest the way the mountains loom over the foothills." --Stephen King"

This book is a good read, scary without being graphic. I really enjoy Richard Matheson's work and recommend it.

Journal Entry 2 by CollegeLady from La Mesa, California USA on Sunday, May 25, 2008
Offered as bookring

Journal Entry 3 by CollegeLady from La Mesa, California USA on Monday, June 02, 2008
Thank you for joining this bookring. I hope you all enjoy the book.

Usual rules apply:

* Try to read the book in a month
* PM the next person in line for his/her mailing address
* Journal when the book arrives so we all know where it is
* Journal when you send the book so we all know where it's going.
* Use whatever shipping method you are comfortable with and, if possible, post a confirmation number.
* If you need to be skipped, please let me know.

Gecko4ever
Sunfi
Stacers1973
Oldreader
Collegelady

Please see the CollegeLady bookshelf for exact location of the book.

Happy Reading!!!

Journal Entry 4 by CollegeLady from La Mesa, California USA on Tuesday, June 03, 2008
List of readers is inside the book. Please remember to journal when you receive and again when you send.

Happy Reading!!!

Sent to Gecko4ever today; Tracking number: 9102805213907644721342

Journal Entry 5 by gecko4ever from Rancho Cucamonga, California USA on Friday, June 06, 2008
Just finished my book last night and will be on to this one. Looks like a great read. Received from collegelady as a ring. Thank you for hosting.

Journal Entry 6 by gecko4ever from Rancho Cucamonga, California USA on Monday, June 09, 2008
I enjoyed the book. It was a very "fast" read. I am PMing the next on the list and it will go into the mail on Wednesday (next day off). Thanks for the bookring.

Journal Entry 7 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Sunday, June 22, 2008
I picked it up from the post office last Friday, and I am already halfway through it...
Now I know the 70s film follows closely the original, even down to some lines spoken by the characters.
I will remove it from my WishList (thanks, CollegeLady for sharing, and thanks Gecko4Ever for sending it through... loved the "creepy crawlies" package.
Asking MaryT for her address, as I won't take long with this one...

Journal Entry 8 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Tuesday, June 24, 2008
A very, very good old-fashioned horror story, with a hint of modernity!
I loved it!
Thanks a lot for sharing it.
I have Mary-T's address, so I will be passing it along really soon.

Journal Entry 9 by wingBookworm-ladywing from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, July 03, 2008
Sent this evening to Mary-T, in Germany.
It's your turn to be afraid, very afraid... :)
Eva

Journal Entry 10 by Mary-T from Bretzfeld, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Monday, July 14, 2008
This book arrived safely.
Thanks for sharing and sending. :)
I'm looking forward to be scared!

12-Aug-08
A fine scaring read. Although the end didn't totally convince me.

I will send it on the next days - I already have the next address.

Journal Entry 11 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Friday, September 05, 2008
This arrived this morning...have just started another bookring so will get to this in the next few days. Will PM Pinkagirl now for address!

Journal Entry 12 by wingPlum-crazywing from Brighouse, West Yorkshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, September 10, 2008
A really atomospheric, spooky read...I found it very easy to visualise eveything that was happening. I read most of it in the early hours of the morning when I couldn't sleep....I never realised my house creaked so much!! But it all added to the ambience :o)

My only criticism, like Mary-T, was that I felt the conclusion to be a bit unsatisfactory. Though to be fair, I find that a lot of the books I read involving the supernatural, ghosts, demons & devils etc leave me feeling the sameway. I think because I get so wrapped up in the story that a) I don't want it to end & b) the only way these stories can really end is with the "evil" being vanquished...or not - but I'm not saying what happens in this case!

Thanks for making it availiable CollegeLady, it will be on it's way to Pinkagirl as soon as I get her address.

Journal Entry 13 by wingPlum-crazywing at per Post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (9/18/2008 UTC) at per Post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

On it's way to Pinkagirl

2008 KEEP THEM MOVING CHALLENGE (#60)

Journal Entry 14 by Pinkagirl from Newport, Shropshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, September 23, 2008
This book arrived yesterday morning. I am pleased to be part of this bookring and looking forward to an eerie tale! I have a book to finish and then will start with this one. For a change it may take me the month to read, as I am going to take into hospital with me. Thanks for sharing!

Journal Entry 15 by Pinkagirl from Newport, Shropshire United Kingdom on Monday, October 06, 2008
This book kept me company whilst in hospital and was a quick and enthralling read, i will agree with what Plum-crazy said above, but leave the rest up to the next reader. I have Pm'd for their address and await their reply. This book has made me interested in reading more Richard Mattheson books, and i did not realise that 'Stir of Echoes' and 'I am Legend' were based on his books either!

I will let peeps know when I post it on...

Thank you, College lady for organising this ring and everyone else on the ring for keeping it moving so well. Enjoy!

POSTED TODAY(10.10.08) 1st CLASS POST

Journal Entry 16 by arturogrande from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Saturday, October 11, 2008
This looks a goodie - thanks very much.

Journal Entry 17 by arturogrande from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, October 26, 2008
I do like a good scary book - and this one really fit the bill. The atmosphere in the house was very well conveyed, as Matheson makes a good job of painting pictures with words.
I too wasn't particularly convinced by the ending, but it didn't really spoil what had gone before.
All in all, a good scary read - thanks very much for sharing.
It's now on its way to Shimmy-Crazy.

Journal Entry 18 by Shimmy-crazy from Finchley, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, October 29, 2008
Arrived this morning, got one ahead of it but shall start asap.
Thanks for sharing.

Journal Entry 19 by Shimmy-crazy from Finchley, Greater London United Kingdom on Monday, November 10, 2008
A traditional haunted house story. I enjoyed it but it's not as good a novel as 'I am legend'

Posted to Ladybug74 10/11/08

Journal Entry 20 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Monday, November 17, 2008
I received the book in today's mail. I will start reading it right away and get it mailed on to the next participant. It's funny that this arrived now because I am in the middle of reading I Am Legend by the same author. It's my first Richard Matheson book and I'm enjoying it so far. I hope this one is just as good!

Journal Entry 21 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Saturday, November 22, 2008
I really enjoyed this book in the beginning, but from the middle to the end it seemed to drag a little. I just skimmed over some of Dr. Barrett's lists and scientific explanations that were a little boring, but otherwise enjoyed most of the book.

Journal Entry 22 by ladybug74 at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, November 22, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (11/22/2008 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

mailed to sunfi to continue the bookring

Journal Entry 23 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Friday, December 05, 2008
I received in the mail today, I've just finished another book so I can start this one right away. I hope to get this in the mail before the holidays. Thanks to CollegeLady for including me and ladybug74 for sending this book to me.

Journal Entry 24 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Monday, December 08, 2008
I stayed up way too late last night to finish this one. A very good haunted house story, I still don't know how I felt about the end, it seemed wrapped up a little too nicely. The story was spooky and scary without being overly bloody and gory. Unlike other "haunted house" stories I enjoyed the scientific perspective that the Dr Barrett provided. I already have Stacers1973 address so I'm hoping to get this in the mail to her a little later on.

Journal Entry 25 by sunfi at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA on Monday, December 08, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (12/8/2008 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA

On its way to Stacers1973, it should be there in the next few weeks.

Journal Entry 26 by Stacers1973 from Gladstone, Oregon USA on Wednesday, December 17, 2008
This came yesterday! Thanks for passing it on, I hope to get to this next :)

Journal Entry 27 by Stacers1973 from Gladstone, Oregon USA on Friday, January 02, 2009
I finally got the time to sit down and read this ... It was a nice creepy read, if a bit surreal surrounded by all the Christmas lights still on in my house. Great story - makes me look forward to more by Matheson.
PMed Oldreader for mailing info and will ship out ASAP. Thanks for sharing this bit of creepy madness.

Journal Entry 28 by Stacers1973 at Gladstone, Oregon USA on Monday, January 05, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (1/5/2009 UTC) at Gladstone, Oregon USA

0307 1790 0000 7988 3156 is the USPS Tracking number
Tried to go Saturday, but the PO was closed -- so went first thing this morning, shipped Priority. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 29 by oldreader from Citrus Heights, California USA on Wednesday, January 07, 2009
arrived today.Will start immed.

Journal Entry 30 by oldreader from Citrus Heights, California USA on Sunday, January 18, 2009
Fast read.Have not seen the movie for years but from what i remember seems to follow.Thanks for sharing.Should rewatch movie to see what I missed the first time around.

Journal Entry 31 by oldreader at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, January 19, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (1/19/2009 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

you have found a bookcrossing book.This is a free site that tracks the books as they travel.Please journal this when you find it and after reading.
You may remain anonymous.

returned to original person

Journal Entry 32 by CollegeLady from La Mesa, California USA on Wednesday, January 21, 2009
The book has arrived home safely. Thank you all for participating and I'm glad you enjoyed reading it.