The Thirteenth Tale

by Diane Setterfield | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Kerriou of Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on 5/24/2008
Journal Entry 1 by Kerriou from Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, May 24, 2008
Synopsis:

Angelfield House stands abandoned and forgotten. It was once the imposing family home of the March family - fascinating, manipulative Isabelle, Charlie, her brutal and dangerous brother, and the wild, untamed twins, Emmeline and Adeline. But Angelfield House conceals a chilling secret whose impact still resonates...
Now Margaret Lea is investigating Angelfield's past - and the mystery of the March family starts to unravel. What has the house been hiding? What is its connection with the enigmatic author Vida Winter? And what is it in Margaret's own troubled past that causes her to fall so powerfully under Angelfield's spell?

Journal Entry 2 by Kerriou at Swansea, Wales United Kingdom on Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (2/3/2009 UTC) at Swansea, Wales United Kingdom

Posted off to WelshHelen this morning.

Journal Entry 3 by WelshHelen from Ponthenri, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, February 09, 2009
Kerriou - you're wonderful! :-) Thank you so much for sending this book to me so that I can re-start a ring. Hopefully, you'll get some great journal entries as an extra thank you.

Journal Entry 4 by imawinn2 from Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Tuesday, February 10, 2009
This book was kindly offered to replace a copy that was lost in transit. We will restart this bookring so that others can enjoy this fabulous story. My thanks to Kerriou and WelshHelen!

Participants
(reading order subject to change as others are added)

WelshHelen - Wales
teggers - England
Mizuchy - Romania
soleille - Germany
bearyfriend - Singapore
Wandering-B -Hong Kong (will ship Intl)
Rebeccaljames - Ohio, USA asked to be skipped
hennagoddess - New Hampshire, USA (will ship Intl)
sunfi - Ohio, USA (will ship Intl)
Shann24lvr - Missouri, U.S.A. asked to be skipped
Qantaqa - Germany (prefers to ship in EUR) asked to be skipped
bookguide - Netherlands (prefer to ship UK or EUR)
penelopewanders - Switzerland
Hayes13 - Italy (will ship Intl)
Kiki66 - Germany (will ship Intl)
jazzoasis - Wisconsin, USA (wants to be last)
- imawinn2 - Wisconsin, USA

Journal Entry 5 by teggers from Mansfield, Massachusetts USA on Friday, February 13, 2009
Arrived this evening in the post. I have a few books to read before I can get started on this one but I look forward to it.

Journal Entry 6 by teggers at Post Office, Royal Mail -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, May 06, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (5/6/2009 UTC) at Post Office, Royal Mail -- Controlled Releases

Sent off to the next person in the ring. Unfortunately I didn't get a chance to read due to heavy uni work load. I hope you enjoy it.

Journal Entry 7 by Mizuchy from Cluj-Napoca, Transylvania and Partium Romania on Sunday, June 21, 2009
Wonderful, wonderful book. I got completely lost in it. Up to the point where I forgot I hadn't registered it. So sorry for the delay.
Now it's ready to go on to the next in line. Will PM as soon as I finish writing this.

Cheers!

Journal Entry 8 by soleille from Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Wednesday, July 08, 2009
Anyone remember the scene in Harry Potter where Harry gets a letter from the Weasleys that is almost entirely covered in stamps? That's how the envelope for this book looked, it just totally made my day :o)
I'm looking forwards to this book very much :o)

Journal Entry 9 by soleille from Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Friday, July 24, 2009
What a wonderful read!!!! I think this was the best book I read this year. Don't even have words to describe just HOW great this was! Thanks a lot for this ring :O)
On its way to bearyfriend now

Journal Entry 10 by soleille from Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Friday, July 24, 2009
On its way to bearyfriend now

Journal Entry 11 by bearyfriend from Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Tuesday, September 01, 2009
Book arrived safely, thanks for sending. I'll get into it as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 12 by bearyfriend from Singapore, Singapore Singapore on Saturday, September 12, 2009
Now is Sunday morning. I'd spent the whole of yesterday afternoon reading from 1pm till 1am time to sleep. In between I put water to boil and make myself a cup of coffee to go with it. Now I'm continuing with the thirtheenth tale and will drop it off to the next reader tomorrow monday. What a great read with all the twists and turns. I've thought Ms Winter did not entirely tell the truth and how come one of the twins suddenly became so sensible, but wait till you continue reading then you'll be surprised. Though the confusions in the middles and endings, I still thorougly enjoy the story. Thanks for sharing.

Update (Sep-14):- On its way to the next reader.

Update (Oct-26):- Wonder whether book has arrived? Book was sent via air, didn't think it's going to take so long to reach HK.

Journal Entry 13 by wandering-B from Tai Po, New Territories Hong Kong on Monday, October 26, 2009
Returned home from an extended stay in the US to find this one waiting for me. Sorry, bearyfriend, to not have journaled it earlier but it must have arrived after I left 22 September for the States. If no one minds, I will probably have it a couple of months as I have a backlog and it is hard to concentrate enough to read these days so reading anything takes so much longer than it should. Thanks imawinn2 for making this a ring. After everyone's comments, I am looking forward to reading it more than ever.

Journal Entry 14 by wandering-B from Tai Po, New Territories Hong Kong on Saturday, November 14, 2009
Wonderful, wonderful book about a book or a story about a story - however you chose to view it. Thanks again imawinn2 for making this into a ring - I will contact the next reader for an address.

Journal Entry 15 by wandering-B from Tai Po, New Territories Hong Kong on Monday, November 16, 2009
rebeccaljames has asked to be skipped. Will contact the next on the list.

Journal Entry 16 by hennagoddess from Hollis, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, December 02, 2009
This arrived in the mail yesterday. I'm currently reading the book for my book group, but as soon as I finish it I will start this.

Journal Entry 17 by hennagoddess from Hollis, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, December 13, 2009
This was an incredibly interesting book, and I'm looking forward to reading more from this author. The story was a little weird and creepy in parts, and I saw some of the twists coming, but it kept me guessing enough to be enjoyable. And the ending was uplifting enough to dispel the creepiness of the early parts of the book. Time to send it off to the next person! Thanks for organizing this ring!

Journal Entry 18 by hennagoddess at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, December 19, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (12/16/2009 UTC) at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Sent off to sunfi. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 19 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Monday, December 21, 2009
Caught in Ohio on Saturday, I have a number of other rings/rays ahead of this one but I'll get to it as soon as I can. I keep my profile updated on weekly basis so you can see how close this one is to the top.

Journal Entry 20 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, February 06, 2010
I just finished this one, sorry it took a little longer for me to get through it. I enjoyed the story, it seemed to take a while for me to get into it though. I never really developed a connection with the characters the way I do in other books. I've been in contact with Shann24lvr & Qantaqa and they would both like to be skipped, so I'll be mailing this out to bookguide in the next few days.

Journal Entry 21 by sunfi at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA on Thursday, February 11, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (2/11/2010 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA

Finally made it to the post office today, it should arrive in the next three weeks or so.

Journal Entry 22 by bookguide from Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, February 16, 2010
Arrived safely in five days! Thank you for posting to Europe, Sunfi, and thank you for the chance to read 'The Thirteenth Tale', Kerriou. I have two ringbooks to read before this one, both light reads, so I shall do my best to read it within a month. I keep my list updated on my profile, so check there to see where I've got to, and don't feel shy about sending me a reminder if I'm taking too long.

Journal Entry 23 by bookguide from Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Wednesday, March 17, 2010
This book should come with a health warning: don't start reading it unless you've got a couple of free days with nothing planned, including sleep. If you enjoy classic gothic novels, particularly 'Jane Eyre', you'll love this book, and it has elements of a murder mystery or a book by Torey Hayden, and interesting psychological twists. The suspense is continued until the very end when all is revealed. I have to admit that I had had my suspicions about what was going on, but as I had to revise my opinions throughout the book, I enjoyed trying to puzzle out what the truth was. Even at the end, there was still a shred of doubt about Emmeline and Adeline. In one word, superb! This book was definitely worth the wait.

Journal Entry 24 by bookguide at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, May 10, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (5/11/2010 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Finally on its way to PenelopeWanders in Switzerland. Sorry for the delay everyone. Time got away from me, I'm afraid. I do hope you'll enjoy the book as much as I did.

This book has been released as part of the following BookCrossing challenges:
- The Ultimate Challenge - read and release books, with extra points for a monthly theme
- Reduce Mount TBR (To Be Read) - read and release books on the TBR list since before Jan. 2010. My reading goal is 75 books.
- Pages Read Challenge - read a self-set target number of pages in 2010. My goal is 24,000.
- BX Top 100 Challenge? - try to read and release as many as possible of the BookCrossers' 100 top reads. I'm not sure if this is on the list, but it should be!
- Set It Yourself Challenge
- 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die Challenge (it wasn't on the old list, but there's a new one out, and I'm not sure if this is on it or not. Again, it should be!)

EDIT: Finally got to the stage of physically putting this book in the postbox on 7th June after a couple of busy weeks and holidays. Sorry about the extra delay.

Journal Entry 25 by wingpenelopewanderswing at Bookring, .---controlled release---. Switzerland on Thursday, June 10, 2010
Well, it's a bit of a shame the previous crosser didn't check back with me before posting, as in the several months since it's been there I've received a different copy of this, read and sent it on. I had signed up for the other ring a few years ago and it was stalled for ages. When I was contacted again for my address I didn't realize that it was a different copy.
Anyway, I've PMed for the next address to send this on.
Here's what I wrote in my review:
Although I didn't get caught up in this immediately I did enjoy it. It reminded me of a number of other books, but especially The Shadow of the Wind, The Century of Lights (I think that's the title in English...)and other novels where the household is in an uproar. The tale of twins was moving... nonetheless the whole thing kept me at one remove, and so I didn't plunge into it as I sometimes do. Still,a very good read.

Thanks for making this available and for sending.

Journal Entry 26 by wingpenelopewanderswing at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, June 14, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (6/14/2010 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

As I had read another copy which reached me first, I have send this one on unread to Italy. Enjoy! thanks for making available...

Journal Entry 27 by wingHayes13wing at Roma, Lazio Italy on Monday, June 21, 2010
Arrived safe and sound. Will get to it as soon as I can.
(Haven't seen a bookring for months, and of course 2 arrived the same week!)

Journal Entry 28 by wingHayes13wing at Roma, Lazio Italy on Sunday, July 04, 2010
Started yesterday. I love it already!

ETA Review:

I just loved this story, even if it did have a few really 'ew' moments at the beginning. A modern Gothic mystery, a story within a story, madness, twins, strange house keepers...

If you loved Jane Eyre and The Shadow of the Wind I think you'll really enjoy this.

Journal Entry 29 by wingHayes13wing at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Monday, July 12, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (7/12/2010 UTC) at Gauting, Bayern Germany

Off it goes to Germany

ETA: Finally went into the mail today 31st July. Sorry for the delay.

Journal Entry 30 by kiki66 at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Tuesday, August 03, 2010
Heureka! it's here... :-)

my second attempt to get this book in my hands (Ring No1 was stalled :-/ ) so I am
VERY MUCH looking forward to read this one now!

thanks !

Journal Entry 31 by kiki66 at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Monday, September 06, 2010
I just loved it!
took it with me on my holidays and couldn't stop... :-)

Now I'll send it on as soon as I have jazzoasis' address!

Journal Entry 32 by kiki66 at Gauting, Bayern Germany on Wednesday, September 08, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (9/8/2010 UTC) at Gauting, Bayern Germany

The book went on its way to the States...

Happy Reading!

Edit 9/10/10: Now I am truly worried that the book is lost :-(
a month is long time....

Journal Entry 33 by jazzoasis at Appleton, Wisconsin USA on Friday, October 22, 2010
Many apologies. The book arrived 2 weeks ago amidst a very difficult time trying my juggling act of life and I set the book on my nightstand only to look at daily and sigh. Alas, I have come up for air and now my plate is only half full and can actually have time to read again. I plan on starting this book immediately.

Journal Entry 34 by jazzoasis at Appleton, Wisconsin USA on Tuesday, December 28, 2010
Was a very fast moving book! I will be the first to admit that the 500 pages seemed intimidating to me at first but I made real good time finishing it (reading until 3am most days) because it had more twists and turns than a GI tract. A wonderful way to wrap up the year in chilly WI curled under the covers staying warm with a good book!! Thank you for including me on the books journey.

Journal Entry 35 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Friday, December 31, 2010
jazzoasis stopped by last night so we could celebrate some leftover holiday cheer. She brought The Thirteenth Tale with her so now the book is back with me. Thanks to everyone who participated. It was fun to read all your journal entries. Thanks again to Kerriou and WelshHelen for jump starting the bookring after the original copy was lost. I will make sure that the book continues the journey. :-)

Journal Entry 36 by imawinn2 at Neenah, Wisconsin USA on Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (1/10/2011 UTC) at Neenah, Wisconsin USA

I am sending this off to Rororosie as a RABCK. She had this on her Wishlist. Look for the little extra gift I put between the pages. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 37 by Rororosie at Tempe, Arizona USA on Monday, January 31, 2011
Thank you for this awesome book with the owl eyes bookmark included. This is a RABCK from imawinn2 and I will look forward to reading it. I am currently moving house so I'm a little overwhelmed right now so I am sorry I am entering this late. I got it last week. Thank you a zillion and sorry for the late entry. I am packing this on top of a box of books to be unpacked first and am much looking foward to reading it, almost salivating, he he, but have to wait until this onslaught of packing and unpacking is over...