The Mournful Demeanour of Lieutenant Boruvka

by Josef; Henley, Kaca Polackova Skvorecky | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 0886194067 Global Overview for this book
Registered by judysh of Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on 4/11/2009
Journal Entry 1 by judysh at Park Theatre & Movie Cafe in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, April 11, 2009

Released 11 yrs ago (4/14/2009 UTC) at Park Theatre & Movie Cafe in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

to be released at the OBCZ in Winnipeg

Journal Entry 2 by judysh from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, April 11, 2009
Another of these quietly humorous detective novels.

Journal Entry 3 by wingrem_CJL-230711wing on Tuesday, April 14, 2009
This looks good. Thanks tikkun-olum - nice to see you at a meet-up again!

Journal Entry 4 by wingrem_CJL-230711wing on Monday, November 02, 2009
These linked stories, twelve puzzling cases featuring the melancholy and intelligent Lieutenant Boruvka were entertaining and humorous. The setting in the Czech Republic and an intriguing cast of supporting characters, including his wife, daughter, and the policewoman with the large chignon added to the overall atmosphere of the stories. Recommended.

Journal Entry 5 by wingrem_CJL-230711wing at Park Theatre & Movie Cafe in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, January 09, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (1/12/2010 UTC) at Park Theatre & Movie Cafe in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada

Gypsysmom came by for a visit this afternoon, and since I'm unable to attend the local Bookcrossing meet-ups these days, she kindly agreed to take some books on my behalf. I told her she can have first dibs if any of the books appeal to her. If the books don't get taken home by one of our members, they'll be left on the shelf of the OBCZ (Official Book Crossing Zone).

Welcome to Bookcrossing! I hope you'll enjoy this book and explore the Bookcrossing site. It's loads of fun, as you can track your released books in their travels, possibly all over the world! Please let us know that you've found the book, what you thought of it and if possible, where you might re-release it when you're done so it can continue its journey.

Journal Entry 6 by winggypsysmomwing from Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, January 12, 2010
I dutifully took all the books mrsgaskell asked me to pass on to the meet-up even though she had recommended this one to me. I thought I should give everyone else a chance at them and although most of them were snapped up this one was still on the table when everyone was through picking over the books. So I decided to bring it home. Thanks mrsgaskell and tikkun-olum for bringing this book to my attention.

Journal Entry 7 by winggypsysmomwing at Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada on Saturday, March 19, 2011
Although the translation was a little bumpy in places I quite enjoyed this book of connected short stories. Lieutenant Boruvka is a hardworking Czechoslovakian homicide detective. In fact it may be because he is hardworking that he has a mournful demeanour. He would like to be more devil-may-care, especially as regards the female officer with the large chignon, but work gets in the way. And then, there is his wife and daughter who require a certain amount of attention. For a man that is not very good looking Lieutenant Boruvka seems to get a lot of female attention. Maybe that's a little of the author's wishful thinking showing through because from pictures I have seen of Josef Skvorecky he is no Greek god.

Since these stories were published in 1966 originally they show a place and time that no longer exists. The difficulties of living under Communist dictates are alluded to in several of the stories. In "The Case of the Horizontal Trajectory" apartment overcrowding is at the core of the mystery. Several of the cases take place while Lieutenant Boruvka takes his daughter on holiday to celebrate her report card. Except the holiday takes place in October because of the difficulty of getting an exit permit.

But beyond all that are some really good whodunits or howdunits and they are the best part of the book.

Thanks mrsgaskell (and Judysh before her) for passing this book on. Since the author is now a Canadian I think I will keep this book for the 2011 Canada Day release challenge. As Skvorecky is a Canadian writer that I have never read before I will also count this book for John Mutford's challenge.

Journal Entry 8 by winggypsysmomwing at Whirlpool Lake in Riding Mountain National Park, Manitoba Canada on Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (7/2/2011 UTC) at Whirlpool Lake in Riding Mountain National Park, Manitoba Canada

I left this book in the pocket that holds the self-registration forms for the campground. This release is for the 2011 Canada Day release challenge and for the 2011 52 Towns in 52 Weeks release challenge.

I hope you enjoy this book of short mysteries by an immigrant to Canada. Please tell us what you thought of the book and what your plans are for it.