We Need To Talk About Kevin (Five Star Paperback)

by Lionel Shriver | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by MarthaK-H of Hither Green, Greater London United Kingdom on 5/17/2008
Journal Entry 1 by MarthaK-H from Hither Green, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, May 17, 2008
Amazon Editorial Review:

The gripping international bestseller about motherhood gone awry

Eva never really wanted to be a mother—and certainly not the mother of the unlovable boy who murdered seven of his fellow high school students, a cafeteria worker, and a much-adored teacher who tried to befriend him, all two days before his sixteenth birthday. Now, two years later, it is time for her to come to terms with marriage, career, family, parenthood, and Kevin's horrific rampage in a series of startlingly direct correspondences with her estranged husband, Franklyn. Uneasy with the sacrifices and social demotion of motherhood from the start, Eva fears that her alarming dislike for her own son may be responsible for driving him so nihilistically off the rails.

Journal Entry 2 by MarthaK-H at Cafe Rouge in Greenwich, Greater London United Kingdom on Saturday, June 07, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (6/8/2008 UTC) at Cafe Rouge in Greenwich, Greater London United Kingdom

Has been wrapped up for a game of steal or reveal at the Bookcrossing meet as this has been the most memorable book that I have read this year. Enjoy!!

Journal Entry 3 by Rivercassini from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Sunday, June 08, 2008
I won this during the book swap game at the Greenwich meet up today. It was my first book swap - I've seen people play before but never quite been able to get the hang of what was going on, but now I'm glad to say I'm no longer a bookswap virgin! It was great fun, and I can recommend it to all. Plus, I got a really good book which I've been meaning to read for some time. Thanks for organising the game, MarthaH-K.

Journal Entry 4 by Rivercassini from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 31, 2008
Now I've read this, I regret leaving on the to be read pile for so long. A gripping, troubling and illuminating account of marriage, parenthood and tradegy told in a very human way. Shriver's device of relating the entire tale through a series of letters, never sent, from a wife and mother to her husband, works very well, engaging the reader immediately and providing natural breaks and rhythm. I'm not often impressed by either multi-award winning books or best-sellers, but this is an exception.

Read December 2008

Journal Entry 5 by Rivercassini from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 27, 2009
Plan to release tomorrow so that it doesn't come with us in the house move - but it might be few days before I have PC access again to make any release notes.

Released 10 yrs ago (1/28/2009 UTC) at Charing Cross Station in -- Trains, Tube, Buses --, Greater London United Kingdom

Dear Finder of this book,

You don't have to join or sign up to bookcrossing to leave a comment here but if you do join, you will receive emails to alert you when others make a journal entry for this book and track its travels across the world. If you decide to join bookcrossing, now that you have discovered the site, I'd be delighted if you would mention me - Rivercassini - as the person who introduced you to the site.

Happy reading