Sons and Lovers (English Library)

by D. H. Lawrence | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by tranq1 of Tampa, Florida USA on 5/15/2008
Journal Entry 1 by tranq1 from Tampa, Florida USA on Thursday, May 15, 2008
Sons and Lovers was the first modern portrayal of a phenomenon that later, thanks to Freud, became easily recognizable as the Oedipus complex. Never was a son more indentured to his mother's love and full of hatred for his father than Paul Morel, D.H. Lawrence's young protagonist. Never, that is, except perhaps Lawrence himself. In his 1913 novel he grappled with the discordant loves that haunted him all his life--for his spiritual childhood sweetheart, here called Miriam, and for his mother, whom he transformed into Mrs. Morel. It is, by Lawrence's own account, a book aimed at depicting this woman's grasp: "as her sons grow up she selects them as lovers--first the eldest, then the second. These sons are urged into life by their reciprocal love of their mother--urged on and on. But when they come to manhood, they can't love, because their mother is the strongest power in their lives."

Of course, Mrs. Morel takes neither of her two elder sons (the first of whom dies early, which further intensifies her grip on Paul) as a literal lover, but nonetheless her psychological snare is immense. She loathes Paul's Miriam from the start, understanding that the girl's deep love of her son will oust her: "She's not like an ordinary woman, who can leave me my share in him. She wants to absorb him." Meanwhile, Paul plays his part with equal fervor, incapable of committing himself in either direction: "Why did his mother sit at home and suffer?... And why did he hate Miriam, and feel so cruel towards her, at the thought of his mother. If Miriam caused his mother suffering, then he hated her--and he easily hated her." Soon thereafter he even confesses to his mother: "I really don't love her. I talk to her, but I want to come home to you."

The result of all this is that Paul throws Miriam over for a married suffragette, Clara Dawes, who fulfills the sexual component of his ascent to manhood but leaves him, as ever, without a complete relationship to challenge his love for his mother. As Paul voyages from the working-class mining world to the spheres of commerce and art (he has fair success as a painter), he accepts that his own achievements must be equally his mother's. "There was so much to come out of him. Life for her was rich with promise. She was to see herself fulfilled... All his work was hers."

The cycles of Paul's relationships with these three women are terrifying at times, and Lawrence does nothing to dim their intensity. Nor does he shirk in his vivid, sensuous descriptions of the landscape that offers up its blossoms and beasts and "shimmeriness" to Paul's sensitive spirit. Sons and Lovers lays fully bare the souls of men and earth. Few books tell such whole, complicated truths about the permutations of love as resolutely without resolution. It's nothing short of searing to be brushed by humanity in this manner.

Journal Entry 2 by tranq1 at Mail in Member, Titletrader.com -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, May 15, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (5/15/2008 UTC) at Mail in Member, Titletrader.com -- Controlled Releases

Releasing into ivylibra224's 1001 Books you must read bookbox.

Journal Entry 3 by ivylibra224 from Kimberling City, Missouri USA on Monday, June 09, 2008
Came to me in my first 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die BookBox! I think I'll toss it back in for the 3rd 1001 books...book box!

Journal Entry 4 by tabby-cat-owner from Phoenix, Arizona USA on Wednesday, July 16, 2008
taking this out of Ivylibra224's 3rd "1001 books you must read before you die bookbox".

Thank you, ivylibra224, for organizing this bookbox.

Journal Entry 5 by tabby-cat-owner at Phoenix, Arizona USA on Tuesday, February 19, 2019
This book is being removed from the 1001-library. I am planning a cross-country move and I am reducing the number of books I possess.

This book was left in the Little Free Library.