My Best Friends Girl

by Dorothy Koomson | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Korky of Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on 5/15/2008
Journal Entry 1 by Korky from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Thursday, May 15, 2008
Synopsis
What would you do for the friend who broke your heart? Best friends Kamryn Matika and Adele Brannon thought nothing could come between them - until Adele did the unthinkable and slept with Kamryn's fiance, Nate. Worse still, she got pregnant and had his child. When Kamryn discovered the truth about their betrayal she vowed never to see any of them again. Two years later, Kamryn receives a letter from Adele asking her to visit her in hospital. Adele is dying and begs Kamryn to adopt her daughter, Tegan. With a great job and a hectic social life, the last thing Kamryn needs is a five year old to disrupt things. Especially not one who reminds her of Nate. But with no one else to take care of Tegan and Adele fading fast, does she have any other choice? So begins a difficult journey that leads Kamryn towards forgiveness, love, responsibility and, ultimately, a better understanding of herself.

Well I'm afraid this wasn't the book for me, I did read right to the end to see how it turned out but was increasingly irritated as I went along. I think I agree that it was a bit more than 'chick-lit' but the main romantic premise was straight out of Mills & Boon - girl meets boy and they dislike each other intently, but what a surprise they get together. I thought it was over emotionally written, no-one was ever just a bit upset, it had to be "rivers of pain", but I wasn't moved. Most of the characters weren't particularly likeable, our main protagonist Kamryn was such a cow she certainly wouldn't be my best friend. And final irritant was that I didn't feel I needed to know what Tegan was wearing on a daily basis (sigh).
My mum has also read this but was waiting for me to finish before discussing, I'll see if I can get her to do a review but she's usually pretty reluctant.

Hope the next reader enjoys it more than me!

Journal Entry 2 by wingMKlibrarieswing from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, May 16, 2008
The characters were annoying and it was rather a coincidence that so many of them had dreadful abusive childhods (was Nate the only one that didn't?) and Tegan was to goody-goody to be true.
KORKY'S MUM

Journal Entry 3 by Korky from Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire United Kingdom on Friday, May 16, 2008
Ooopsy! Went on a pc and didn't notice that it was logged onto bookcrossing already

Journal Entry 4 by Korky at Forest Cafe in Salcey Forest, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Friday, May 23, 2008

Released 13 yrs ago (5/24/2008 UTC) at Forest Cafe in Salcey Forest, Northamptonshire United Kingdom

Released for the 2008 Arthritis Walk Challenge.
Arthritis UK website: www.arc.org.uk

Journal Entry 5 by Beqi from Daventry, Northamptonshire United Kingdom on Saturday, May 24, 2008
I wanted to give this a go, so I was pleased to see it on the book table at Salcey today. Now onto TBR pile. Hope I enjoy it more than you did, Korky!

Having book sort out. Taking a few books over to the brilliant Weedon phone box book exchange :)