Witches of Eastwick, The

by John Updike | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by LyekkaMarengo of Warriors Mark, Pennsylvania USA on 3/22/2009
Journal Entry 1 by LyekkaMarengo from Warriors Mark, Pennsylvania USA on Sunday, March 22, 2009
Sending off as a wishlist RABCK.

Journal Entry 2 by Ibis3 from Newcastle, Ontario Canada on Monday, March 30, 2009
Woo-hoo! A fantastic RABCK that came with one of the first sentences Virtual Book Box books. I'll be able to put this on my 'Western Canon' list after Death of a Salesman. Thanks LyekkaMarengo!

Journal Entry 3 by Ibis3 at Newcastle, Ontario Canada on Saturday, March 22, 2014
I'm trying to work through some of my old TBRs registered by other BookCrossers and just finished this one.

A bit meh. I liked some of it and disliked some. The characters were all unlikeable and the sexism was palpable, even when it seemed like the author was trying to be a feminist. The theme seemed to be that Nature is amoral, so women, who are the mystical embodiment of divine Nature, are also amoral forces.

My favourite part was Darryl's sermon about how Beautiful Creation isn't so beautiful if you look at parasites and predation instead of rainbows and puppies.

I'm glad to finally have this one in my read pile though. Thanks LyekkaMarengo! I'm planning to do some wild releasing this summer & this might just be a good candidate for that.