Master and Margarita, The

by Mikhail Bulgakov | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by LyekkaMarengo of Warriors Mark, Pennsylvania USA on 3/10/2009
Journal Entry 1 by LyekkaMarengo from Warriors Mark, Pennsylvania USA on Tuesday, March 10, 2009
Going out as a wishlist add-on.

Journal Entry 2 by Ibis3 from Newcastle, Ontario Canada on Monday, March 30, 2009
Woo-hoo! A fantastic RABCK that came with one of the first sentences Virtual Book Box books. This was recommended to me and I signed up for a bookring that stalled. Thanks LyekkaMarengo for the chance to read it!

Journal Entry 3 by Ibis3 at Newcastle, Ontario Canada on Thursday, April 18, 2013
I'm making an effort to finally read all by BC TBRs--4 yrs is a long time to have a book in my possession when someone is patiently waiting for a JE.

Absurd and satirical, this book was one I enjoyed quite a bit. The devil and his crew were like slightly malicious trickster gods, making sure that people were hoisted on their own petards. There were many threads running through the novel: on one level it was a clear take down of Soviet bureaucracy, corruption, secret police state apparatus (along with its concomitant disappearances, executions, informing on neighbours, and committing of dissidents to psychiatric hospitals), censorship and the like; on another it is a story about love; on another it is about art and free expression, and there seems to also be a spiritual/religious/philosophical thread, but I can't quite grasp what's being said on that level. Especially since, as far as I'm aware, Bulgakov was an atheist.

At times, the book reminded me of Catch-22, which is unsurprising really. Behemoth was funny and a shade on the adorable side. Margarita was pretty kick-ass, though when you pare it down to the root, she only has life as, first, a muse, and second, as a worshipful lover of the Master--in other words, she has no desires, ambitions, accomplishments of her own. They're all on behalf of the Master--except, perhaps her plea for Frieda.

I'm listing this as available for now, but may release into the wild at some point.