Never Let Me Go

by Kazuo Ishiguro | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by bartonz of Bellevue, Washington USA on 5/12/2008
Journal Entry 1 by bartonz from Bellevue, Washington USA on Monday, May 12, 2008
From Amazon:

All children should believe they are special. But the students of Hailsham, an elite school in the English countryside, are so special that visitors shun them, and only by rumor and the occasional fleeting remark by a teacher do they discover their unconventional origins and strange destiny. Kazuo Ishiguro's sixth novel, Never Let Me Go, is a masterpiece of indirection. Like the students of Hailsham, readers are "told but not told" what is going on and should be allowed to discover the secrets of Hailsham and the truth about these children on their own.
Offsetting the bizarreness of these revelations is the placid, measured voice of the narrator, Kathy H., a 31-year-old Hailsham alumna who, at the close of the 1990s, is consciously ending one phase of her life and beginning another. She is in a reflective mood, and recounts not only her childhood memories, but her quest in adulthood to find out more about Hailsham and the idealistic women who ran it. Although often poignant, Kathy's matter-of-fact narration blunts the sharper emotional effects you might expect in a novel that deals with illness, self-sacrifice, and the severe restriction of personal freedoms. As in Ishiguro's best-known work, The Remains of the Day, only after closing the book do you absorb the magnitude of what his characters endure

Journal Entry 2 by bartonz from Bellevue, Washington USA on Tuesday, September 09, 2008
sent to mellion108 for the audiobook vbb at BookObsessed

Journal Entry 3 by mellion108 from Bloomfield Hills, Michigan USA on Thursday, September 18, 2008
Thank you so much, bartonz! I absolutely loved reading this book, and I look forward to a new way of experiencing it.

I'll listen to this and pass along to another lucky reader/listener. Thanks!
Update:
I just realized that I never journaled after listening to this.

I thought the narrator was quite good, and I really enjoyed listening to this—just as much as I enjoyed reading the book. Ishiguro is quite the story weaver, and this book has motivated me to seek out other books by him. Great audio!

Journal Entry 4 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, March 04, 2009
received in the mail today. Thanks!!

Journal Entry 5 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Thursday, March 19, 2009
My father listened to this and thought is was okay

Journal Entry 6 by wingAceofHeartswing from Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Sunday, September 13, 2009
mailed today to Lizziwhizz who took it out of the Audio VBB

Journal Entry 7 by lizziwhizz from Skowhegan, Maine USA on Monday, September 21, 2009
received safe in the mail, thanks!

Journal Entry 8 by lizziwhizz from Skowhegan, Maine USA on Tuesday, March 09, 2010
I definitely enjoyed this book, but I don't think I would have made it all the way through if I was reading rather than listening. The narrator was just wonderful and really made the book. The overall tone is melancholy and intriguing. I am hard pressed to imagine how the movie will be; so much of the book is from the main character's mind. Although the ending was totally right, it was a little anti-cathartic. The story is not sci-fi, it is contemporary fiction (coming-of-age, in a way), that has a dystopian/sci-fi element that really only functions as part of the setting.

One thing to note is that since this is a burned copy from audible.com, the last disc is not the same length as the others, so when you start the last disc there are only a few minutes left of the book!

Journal Entry 9 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Sunday, August 29, 2010
This is one book I've been wanting to read for a while. I love the Ishiguro's books I've read so far. So happy I now have this on CDs! Thanks!!

Journal Entry 10 by wingAzukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Monday, October 22, 2012
Curiously, I think I may enjoy the book more if I were reading instead of listening. The voice of the narrator is too measured and even-tempered. While it befits the character, it bores and annoys me, especially with all that "as I said".

It's a rather curious set up of story, and it is intriguing how it was set in 1950's rather than a more futuristic setting. As the story is told by Kathy, the bigger story is not revealed till much latter, towards the end, which leaves a lot of questions unanswered and to the reader's imagination.

Journal Entry 11 by wingAzukiwing at BigJohnLefty's CD-only AudioBookBox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, September 19, 2013

Released 6 yrs ago (9/19/2013 UTC) at BigJohnLefty's CD-only AudioBookBox, A Bookbox -- Controlled Releases

Putting it into the box for the next reader. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by wingk00kaburrawing at San Jose, California USA on Monday, January 06, 2014
This book enjoyed a brief stop in San Jose, CA before continuing its journey in the Audio Bookbox!

When I read this back in 2009, I wrote the following:

This was just an amazing, excellent book. I wanted to listen to it constantly, because I was so loathe to stop the story. At the beginning, I thought Kath was going to relate a happy, simple story of a girl growing up at an artsy boarding school, but as each layer of the story was peeled open it became more disturbing and creepy. I suspected what was going on pretty quickly, but it was still wonderful to read and watch the drama unfold.

Journal Entry 13 by weiterferne at Houston, Texas USA on Saturday, May 10, 2014
I am taking this one out of BigJohnLefty's CD only audiobook box. It's listed as a 'free' book and after seeing the movie, I think I will enjoy the book!

Journal Entry 14 by weiterferne at Houston, Texas USA on Monday, December 15, 2014
It is indeed a curious story. I had seen it unexpectedly on a plane once and was very surprised, but missed the ending as the flight landed before the movie ended.

I enjoyed the audiobook even more. It sets a slower pace into how the story is developing and explains a lot of the subtle feelings of the characters during the plot.