The Secret Life of Bees

by Sue Monk Kidd | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 5/12/2008
Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, May 12, 2008
Synopsis from Amazon:
"Lily has grown up believing she accidentally killed her mother when she was four. She not only has her own memory of holding the gun, but her father's account of the event. Now fourteen, she yearns for her mother, and for forgiveness. Living on a peach farm in South Carolina with her father, she has only one friend: Rosaleen, a black servant whose sharp exterior hides a tender heart. South Carolina in the sixties is a place where segregation is still considered a cause worth fighting for. When racial tension explodes one summer afternoon, and Rosaleen is arrested and beaten, Lily is compelled to act. Fugitives from justice and from Lily's harsh and unyielding father, they follow a trail left by the woman who died ten years before. Finding sanctuary in the home of three beekeeping sisters, Lily starts a journey as much about her understanding of the world, as about the mystery surrounding her mother."

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, June 09, 2008
I'll post the book tomorrow as an RABCK to somewhere in the world...

Journal Entry 3 by seldombites from Cambridge Park, New South Wales Australia on Monday, June 23, 2008
Photobucket

G'day,

Just checking in to let you know I am safe and sound. I am having a nice visit with fairy-whispers before continuing on my travels. I hope you’re having as much fun as I am!

With Great Affection,

Your Book :-)

Journal Entry 4 by seldombites at Gracemere, Queensland Australia on Wednesday, December 07, 2011
Set during the civil rights era, The Secret Life of Bees is a coming-of-age story about a young girl as she stuggles to make sense of her past, her present and the changing world around her. Though racial issues form a backdrop to the story and do trigger some events, this is not the main theme of this novel. Rather this book is about journeys - physical journeys, emotional journeys and the journey of understanding that happens to us all as we grow up. I highly recommend this book for adults and young adults alike.

Journal Entry 5 by seldombites at Princes Lodge in North Adelaide, South Australia Australia on Monday, January 27, 2014

Released 6 yrs ago (1/24/2014 UTC) at Princes Lodge in North Adelaide, South Australia Australia

G'day

Welcome to BookCrossing! What you have in your hands is an honest-to-goodness gift, no strings attached. You may keep it forever and ever, pass it on to a friend, or release it in the wild like I did. I know it may seem a little odd to find this lying around--it's my way of touching the lives of others in a positive way and sharing my love of books.

This book started its journey in Cambridge Park, NSW, Australia and I would like to thank you for letting us know it is still safe and sound. All over the world people are following their book’s travels through BookCrossing & by graciously visiting this site and making an entry you are helping keep this book’s unique travelling history up-to-date.

If you choose to read this book, it would be really great if you could come back and let us know what you thought – as confirmed bookaholics, we love to compare notes! Don’t worry - you can remain anonymous if you wish.

While you don’t have to register or join, I hope you will consider doing so. It’s free, it’s confidential (you are only known by your screen-name), and it’s highly addictive! If you do decide to join, please list myself (seldombites) or any previous reader of this book as your referring member.

For more information about BookCrossing, check out the FAQs on the homepage. For more information about me (seldombites) or any other reader of this book, just click on that person’s screen-name above.

Have a great day and may you always have a good book to read!