My Sister From the Black Lagoon

Registered by rem_XDP-320934 on 5/9/2008
Journal Entry 1 by rem_XDP-320934 on Friday, May 09, 2008
currently reading

Journal Entry 2 by rem_XDP-320934 on Monday, May 26, 2008
This could've been a depressing poor me story but Fox chose not to do that to it (two thumbs up to her!) Super good book!!

from the back cover-
"I was born into a mentally ill family. My sister was the officially crazy one, but really we were all nuts."

So begins My Sister from the Black Lagoon. Laurie Fox's incandescent novel of growing up absurd. Lorna Person's tale is wrested from the shadows cast by her sister, Lonnie, whose rages command the full attention of her parents. Their San Fernando Valley household is off-key and out of kilter, a place where Lonnie sees evil in the morning toast and runs into the Burbank hills to join the animals that seem more like her kin. Lorna, on the other hand, is an acutely sensitive girl who can't relate to Barbie. "Could Barbie feel sorrow? Could Barbie understand what it's like to be plump, lonely, Jewish?"

My Sister from the Black Lagoon is a wisecracked bell jar, a heartbreaking study of sane and crazy. Laurie Fox's delightful voice is knowing yet wide-eyed, lyrical, and witty.

Journal Entry 3 by rem_XDP-320934 on Tuesday, June 03, 2008
******Bookray******

NMReader- NM (prefers US)
JennyC1230- GA (prefers US)
carrie1- TN (any shipping)
sunfi- OH (any shipping)
madnad (Spain- prefers EU)
bilbi (France- any shipping)
discoverylover (NZ)

off to nmreader to start the bookray
usps dc #- 0306 3030 0002 5605 6861

Journal Entry 5 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Wednesday, June 25, 2008
oops. It arrived before I left on my trip but I forgot to register. Sorry.

Journal Entry 6 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Saturday, August 09, 2008
I have talked to Scoobs-buddy but just a quick update fro others. I am planning to finish this book in the next few days and will mail while I ma on vacation.

I have enjoyed it so far but will reserve impressions for the next journal entry.

Journal Entry 7 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Tuesday, August 12, 2008
This books makes you question what is sane and what is insane. It also makes you wonder at how our soceity treats those who are different.

It was a well written good book.

Thanks for sharing.

I hope to mail either this afternoon or tomorrow.

Journal Entry 8 by NMReader at Crownsville, Maryland USA on Friday, August 15, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (8/13/2008 UTC) at Crownsville, Maryland USA

Mailed on August 13 with delivery confirmation. Delivery confirmation number: 0306 3030 0003 5993 5636

Thanks for including me

Journal Entry 9 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Saturday, August 16, 2008
Yeah! This book came yesterday. I will read it next! Thanks for sharing your book scoobs-buddy and for sending it NMReader. :-)

Journal Entry 10 by JennyC1230 from Woodstock, Georgia USA on Sunday, August 17, 2008
Wow! This was really good. It did remind me of The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath, except maybe not as dark. I liked that the main character, Lorna, finds out some things about herself by the end of the story.

I have the address for carrie1 and will be mailing it soon! :-)

Journal Entry 11 by JennyC1230 at Postal release, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, August 17, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (8/18/2008 UTC) at Postal release, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

Mailed to carrie1 on August 18, via Media Mail - Delivery Confirmation #9102805213683040891031

Journal Entry 12 by carrie1 from Crossville, Tennessee USA on Saturday, August 30, 2008
Got it! Will try to read soon & keep it movin'...

Journal Entry 13 by carrie1 from Crossville, Tennessee USA on Monday, September 08, 2008
Done! Great book. Kept me interested throughout. Enjoyed this one very much. Thank you scoobs-buddy!

Off to sunfi tomorrow...

Journal Entry 14 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, September 20, 2008
Received this a little earlier this week. We had a big wind storm here on Sunday and I've been without power for the last week. Sorry it took me so long to mark this one received. I'm hoping to get it onto the next reader in the next few weeks (power permitting). Thanks carrie1 for mailing this to me and thanks Scoobs-buddy for including me in this ring.

Journal Entry 15 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Wednesday, September 24, 2008
Just finished this one this morning, at the beginning of the story I was hoping that Lorna would be able to escape the craziness of her house and turn out okay. Finally at the end, I felt that she might just turn out okay. Thanks for sharing this book, I've already contaced madnad and I'm still waiting to hear back from her with an address. As soon as I get that this little guy will be on its way, I will make release notes at that time.

Journal Entry 16 by sunfi at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA on Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (9/30/2008 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA

This has started it journey to madnad in Spain, according to the postal clerk it should be there in the next couple of weeks.

Journal Entry 17 by madnad from Adeje, Santa Cruz de Tenerife Spain on Wednesday, October 08, 2008
Received from sunfi today with many thanks!! Unfortunately, I have 1.5 books left to read before I can read this one, so please bear with me:)

Journal Entry 18 by madnad from Adeje, Santa Cruz de Tenerife Spain on Monday, October 20, 2008
This was an ok read. I liked the story line but felt some parts were too detailed and unimportant and boring... but maybe I just didn't understand it? Some parts made me laugh. The author is really good with words and it'd be interesting to read something else by her.

Will send this book to the next person this afternoon...

Journal Entry 19 by madnad from Adeje, Santa Cruz de Tenerife Spain on Monday, October 20, 2008
sent to bilbi today!

Journal Entry 20 by bilbi from Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on Thursday, October 23, 2008
To receive a book from the Canaries when Autumn has really started is a BC gift ;-)

Thanks for sharing !

I'm reading another bookring so I will start this one as soon as possible !

Take care !

Journal Entry 21 by bilbi from Chambéry, Rhône-Alpes France on Wednesday, November 05, 2008
This was a great book !

I'm really sensitive about mental-illness. I lived for more than 30 years near an asylum and as a girl I used to see patients in my neighbourhood.

I'm a librarian now and a part of my job is working with handicapped people (either mentally or physically).
I know that is not the same as Lonnie in the book but it explains the reason why I enjoyed the book.

Moreover I have an older sister and I can share the main character's feelings towards her own sister.

This book shows that anybody can be touched by "insanity"...

Journal Entry 22 by wingdiscoveryloverwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Monday, November 17, 2008
Received today!! I know its going to be a good week when I receive 3 packages in one day :D Am looking forward to reading this!!

Journal Entry 23 by wingdiscoveryloverwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Wednesday, December 17, 2008
Oh carp I thought I'd journalled this all ready but apparently not.

Great book! Funny, written really well!!

I'm planning on releasing this at some point....hopefully soon!

Journal Entry 24 by wingdiscoveryloverwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (2/10/2009 UTC) at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand

Taking to the meetup.

Would you like to meet Wellington BookCrossers? We meet on the second Tuesday of every month at Macs Brewery (opposite Te Papa) at 5.30 and would love to meet you!

Did you know that the next World Convention is going to be held right here in Christchurch, New Zealand in April 2009! We would love to welcome you along :D Check out our website!