The English Patient

by Michael Ondaatje | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by wingmaryzeewing of Taneytown, Maryland USA on 9/7/2008
Journal Entry 1 by wingmaryzeewing from Taneytown, Maryland USA on Sunday, September 07, 2008
Picked up on my last trip to the Book Thing, for BC.

From the cover -
With unsettling beauty and intelligence, Michael Ondaatje's Booker Prize-winning novel traces the intersection of four damaged lives in an abandoned Italian villa at the end of World War II.
The nurse Hana, exhausted by death, obsessively tends to her last surviving patient. Carvaggio, the thief, tries to reimagine who he is, now that is hands are hopelessly maimed. The Indian sapper Kip searches for hidden bombs in a landscape where nothing is safe but himself. And at the center of this labyrinth lies the English patient, nameless and hideously burned, a man who is both a riddle and a provocation to his companions - and whose memories of suffering, rescue, and betrayal illuminate this book like flashes of heat lightning.

Journal Entry 2 by wingmaryzeewing at La Madeleine Bakery & Cafe in Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, September 07, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (9/7/2008 UTC) at La Madeleine Bakery & Cafe in Alexandria, Virginia USA

This book will be offered at our BC meet today.

Welcome to BookCrossing!

To the finder of this book:
Hello and congratulations! You have not only found yourself a good book, but a whole community of booklovers dedicated to sharing books with each other and the world at large. I hope you'll stick around a bit and get to know BookCrossing -- maybe even make a journal entry on this book. You may choose to remain anonymous or to join (it's free!) Feel free to read and keep this book, or to pass it on to a friend or even set it out "in the wild" for someone else to find like you did. If you do choose to join and journal, then you can watch the book as it travels - You'll be alerted by email each time someone makes another journal entry. It's all confidential (you're known only by your screen name and no one is ever given your e-mail address), free, and spam-free. Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingSqueakyChuwing from Rockville, Maryland USA on Sunday, September 07, 2008
I picked up this book today at a BookCrossing MeetUp. Thanks, MaryZee.

I loved the movie, but have not yet read this book.

Journal Entry 4 by wingAnonymousFinderwing at Waukee, Iowa USA on Friday, July 13, 2012
I really enjoyed the beautiful writing in this novel.

I purchased this book at our local Goodwill in a suburb of Des Moines, IA and will pass this on to my mother. This organization is such a neat idea!