Veronika Decides to Die

by Paulo Coelho | Literature & Fiction |
ISBN: 0060196122 Global Overview for this book
Registered by jennyscott of Asheville, North Carolina USA on 3/26/2003
Journal Entry 1 by jennyscott from Asheville, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, March 26, 2003
I enjoyed this look at a girl who "wants" to die. It is a deep look at life and its rewards and losses. Veronika learns the truth in the end.

Journal Entry 2 by jennyscott at West End Bakery in Asheville, North Carolina USA on Thursday, April 03, 2003
Released on Thursday, April 03, 2003 at West End Bakery in Asheville, North Carolina USA.

I hope someone finds and journals this.

Journal Entry 3 by MarthaMinx from Asheville, North Carolina USA on Sunday, April 06, 2003
It's like a scavenger hunt! I discovered this book on my weekend jaunt to the neighborhood bakery-- thank you jennyscott for creating this crossingzone. I look forward to reading it, and passing it on.

Journal Entry 4 by MarthaMinx from Asheville, North Carolina USA on Friday, April 11, 2003
What an intriguing book. Good read on how death can sometimes bring us closer to really living, and how the mentally ill may be actually less "insane" than the rest of the "normal" world. A thought-provoking book-- with a nice twist at the end.

Journal Entry 5 by MarthaMinx from Asheville, North Carolina USA on Friday, April 25, 2003
Sent to cestmoi in Canada-- Enjoy!

Journal Entry 6 by cestmoi from Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Friday, May 09, 2003
Just received today in the mail. Thanks! I'm looking forward to reading it and its already promised to gumshoe007 in Ottawa next. Thanks so much MarthaMinx and thanks for the lovely notecard as well - you have beautiful handwriting!!!

I'll journal again when I've read it.

Journal Entry 7 by cestmoi from Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Monday, October 31, 2005
I really enjoyed this novel. It was very thought provoking for many reasons...1. What makes someone 'insane'? 2. What makes life worth living? 3. What makes us want to die?

Reading this novel didn't answer all the questions but it certainly gave me new insight into the answers.

Journal Entry 8 by cestmoi from Hamilton, Ontario Canada on Monday, November 07, 2005
Sending to JuneBug31 in a trade for another Coelho novel. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by JuneBug31 from Omemee, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, November 09, 2005
Thanks, I received this in the mail today cestmoi. I've really been looking forward to reading this however, it'll be awhile. I'm currently in the process of reading "3" novels for authors to critique them before their published.

Take care and I will journal again once I've read this.

Journal Entry 10 by JuneBug31 from Omemee, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, November 30, 2005
This is my second Coelho novel. I found this much better than the first one I read. The story of Veronika was intriguing as were the stories of Mari and Eduard. However, I feel Coelho has either a 'hang up' about sex or is still trying to figure this out for himself. I felt that parts of this book didn't need to be written.

This will be my last Coelho novel.

Journal Entry 11 by meljean from Oakville, Ontario Canada on Tuesday, July 11, 2006
Rec'd from JuneBug31 - much thanks!
Adding to my TBR pile. :)

Journal Entry 12 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Sunday, August 12, 2007
I saw this book at the meetup we had today and was pretty sure it was on my wishlist so I picked it up. I wasn''t a big fan of The Alchemist so I''m hoping this one is a bit better!

Journal Entry 13 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Wednesday, January 02, 2008
Veronika is tired with the repetition in her life. She decides that life is no longer worth living, since it is the same thing every day, and overdoses on sleeping pills. When she wakes up in a mental hospital, she is told that she only has a week or so to live because of the damage she has done to her heart by taking so many sleeping pills. At first, Veronika wants to get it over with and die quickly. But as she starts to talk to other patients in the ward, she questions what being insane actually means. Isn't everyone in the world a little crazy? Does she really want to die?

This book questions what it means to be normal vs. crazy, why people want to live vs. die, and why life is worth living. I found this book better than Coelho's The Alchemist, however, it was still way too deep and philosophical for me. If you're into that sort of thing, you might enjoy this book. I think this will be the last Coelho book for me.

Journal Entry 14 by geishabird from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Sunday, March 16, 2008
Took this book home after our dinner/live swap last night. I've heard quite a bit about it so was very pleased I was able to successfully steal it in the end!

Journal Entry 15 by geishabird from Toronto, Ontario Canada on Friday, September 11, 2009
Sorry to say I found this book strangely flat and unsatisfying. Coelho has nothing new to say on the subject of "life is worth living" and I've read many authors who've done much more original and thought-provoking work in the same theme. I'm also not impressed with the flaky metaphysical approach to mental illness in this book; it seems to imply that one can will oneself into sanity if one really wants to. Huh. I also saw the big "surprise ending" coming from a mile away...like I said, nothing new or original here. But thank you all very much for sharing it.

Journal Entry 16 by geishabird at phone booth (see release notes for details) in Toronto, Ontario Canada on Thursday, December 03, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (12/3/2009 UTC) at phone booth (see release notes for details) in Toronto, Ontario Canada

Released as part of the "What's In A Name?" challenge.

Happy reading!