Within Arm's Reach

by Ann Napolitano | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by lellie of Trimley St Mary, Suffolk United Kingdom on 4/28/2008
Journal Entry 1 by lellie from Trimley St Mary, Suffolk United Kingdom on Monday, April 28, 2008
Picked up in the Oxfam shop today.

Synopsis
'No one in my mother's family ever talks about anything that can be categorized as unpleasant or as having to do with emotions, and, as a result, they no longer have anything to say. For them it's not a matter of keeping secrets; it's a matter of being polite, mannerly, and tough. The McLaughlins couldn't spill their woes or ask for help even if they wanted to, because they don't have the vocabulary. They are stranded within themselves, convinced that the only way is to silently persevere.' Seen from the point of view of different generations of women within this family and set around a small town in New Jersey, this is a novel about a family of Irish Catholic descent, the McLaughlins. This is a rich and resonant novel about how the totally unexpected pregnancy of the youngest (29) unmarried member the family tears apart its facade of normalcy, and throws the entire family into a state of crisis.

I'm lending this to my mum

Journal Entry 2 by NanaPat from Felixstowe, Suffolk United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 27, 2008
Had dinner with lellie last night and she lent me some books. This is one of them

Journal Entry 3 by lellie from Trimley St Mary, Suffolk United Kingdom on Monday, July 28, 2008
Returned to me by mum whilst on holiday in France. She didn't care for it and now I read through it again I'm not so sure.
Think I'll make it available.

Going into Bookbox#12 One For Autumn

Journal Entry 4 by turnpages from Faversham, Kent United Kingdom on Thursday, October 16, 2008
Taken out from the Bookbox!

Journal Entry 5 by turnpages at -- Somewhere in Town in Faversham, Kent United Kingdom on Friday, November 26, 2010

Released 10 yrs ago (11/26/2010 UTC) at -- Somewhere in Town in Faversham, Kent United Kingdom

Dear reader!
Enjoy reading this book and do release it again for other people to enjoy!