Cell a Novel

by Stephen King | Horror |
Registered by wingKateKintailwing of Burke, Virginia USA on 7/6/2008
Journal Entry 1 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Sunday, July 06, 2008
Bought at a library used book sale.

Where were you on October 1st at 3:03pm?

I enjoyed this book of Stephen King's. It's got a very basic premise: there's a pulse transmitted through cell phones that make people go crazy-- not just crazy, but murderous and insane. Clay Riddell is one of the few who didn't answer his cell phone... and he's among the few trying to survive and figure out this scary new world. Most importantly, he wants to find out what happened to his son.

He teams up with others- some who need protecting, some who want to help him. It's a nice, light team of characters I couldn't help but like. There's some controversy about whether Tom is a well-written gay character... and I agree that he probably could have been a bit stronger a character (the old stereotype discussion). But it was still nice to see a gay character pop up in a Stephen King novel, especially one who's so kind and loyal. Read the book & judge for yourself!

I was on edge while reading- desperate to find out what would happen next and what the world would be like after Clay and friends had their says.

Journal Entry 2 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Sunday, July 06, 2008
Adding to my LGBT Bookbox. Even though it's not quite LGBT fiction... I'd like to hear what people think about it. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Since telephones scare me even without making people go crazy {grin}, this ought to be fun. [And it does sound nice to have a decent gay character appear in a best-selling, mainstream author's work!] So I'm claiming this one from the book box.

Journal Entry 4 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, July 27, 2008
Well, the premise - that something goes horribly wrong with cell phones and zombifies everybody who's using one - has a certain appeal (and sometimes I suspect that this has already happened!). But while things do indeed go very wrong very early in the book, I found that the apocalyptic escape-from-the-city bits just didn't grab me; nothing nearly as riveting as the tunnels jammed with the dead in The Stand, for example. And as the main characters continued their quest and began to discover what had happened, I found myself just losing interest - in them as well as The Big Secret.

I did like the fact that one of the characters was presented as gay in an oh-by-the-way manner that had nothing to do with the story, much as he might have been described as having brown hair; no stereotypes, and (best of all) he managed to survive to the end - points for Mr. King! But overall I just didn't find the story very compelling, possibly because the kind of SF/horror/conspiracy crossover that was the core of the plot (a) isn't my favorite kind of plot and (b) seemed to come together a bit too clumsily for my taste.

[I should add that I've read a LOT of horror novels, good, bad, and indifferent, over the years, which may have made me a bit jaded about certain kinds of plot elements. I might have found this book more entertaining if I hadn't read so many others that it reminded me of! {wry grin}]

Journal Entry 5 by wingGoryDetailswing at Courtyard by Marriott Hotel in Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Sunday, July 27, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (7/27/2008 UTC) at Courtyard by Marriott Hotel in Nashua, New Hampshire USA

I just found out from today's paper that this year's Open Gaming Convention was/is this weekend, at the Courtyard by Marriott hotel. I'm planning to stop by there at around noon to see whether I can get in to one of the remaining afternoon games (and, if not, will probably be unable to resist checking out the vendor area!). I plan to leave this book somewhere in the hotel lobby (or, if there's a handy bench out front, perhaps there), as I think the subject matter might appeal to gamers...