The Power and the Glory

by Graham Greene | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by bookguide of Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on 4/22/2008
Journal Entry 1 by bookguide from Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Tuesday, April 22, 2008
Foreign Exchange.

Blurb:
In one of the southern states of Mexico, during an anti-clerical purge, the last priest, like a hunted hare, is on the run. Too human for heroism, too humble for martyrdom, the little worldly 'whisky priest' is nevertheless impelled towards his squalid Calvary as much by his own compassion for humanity as by the efforts of his pursuers.

A baleful vulture of doom hovers over this modern crucifixion story, but aboove the vulture soars an eagle - the inevitability of the Church's triumph.

Journal Entry 2 by ForeignExchange from Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Monday, September 01, 2008
Added to BCZ ForeignExchange: An English-language BookCrossing Zone based in the Nijmegen / Arnhem region of the Netherlands (Click here for more details.) If you would like to borrow or swap this or any other book on the shelf, click on the ForeignExchange link at the top of this Journal Entry to go to the bookshelf, and send a PM (Private Message) - click on the link underneath the bookshelf statistics.

Journal Entry 3 by bookguide at BC meeting 2018 in Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, July 08, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (7/8/2018 UTC) at BC meeting 2018 in Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands

I wasn't really expecting to enjoy this classic book set in Mexico. I should have remembered how much I enjoyed Brighton Rock and Animal Farm. The story, though oppressive, was interesting and the language was beautiful. For my full review with my favourite quotations and background reading, visit my Market Garden Reader book blog.

This book has been released as part of the following BookCrossing challenges:
- The Ultimate Challenge - read and release books, with extra points for a monthly theme
- Reduce Mount TBR (To Be Read) - read and release books on the TBR list since before the end of the previous year. My reading goal is 36 books.
- 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die Challenge. 2018 goal: 15.

Journal Entry 4 by wingInge1990wing at Forum gebouw in Wageningen, Gelderland Netherlands on Thursday, July 12, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (7/13/2018 UTC) at Forum gebouw in Wageningen, Gelderland Netherlands

catch and release as this book was still on the table at the end of the meeting.
I have way more books so this one will travel one.

Safe travels!

Journal Entry 5 by wingInge1990wing at StationsBoekWissel boven in Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands on Monday, December 17, 2018

Released 7 mos ago (12/18/2018 UTC) at StationsBoekWissel boven in Utrecht, Utrecht Netherlands

Was still in the forum building, so took it along to find new friends in Utrecht's new bookspot.