Lord John and the Private Matter

by Diana Gabaldon | Mystery & Thrillers |
ISBN: 009946117x Global Overview for this book
Registered by wingKateKintailwing of Burke, Virginia USA on 7/6/2008
Journal Entry 1 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Sunday, July 06, 2008
Bought at a thrift store bag sale.

Gabaldon's Outlander series is one of my favorites... but her Lord John Grey series is, perhaps, even better! This is the first in that series.

The year is 1757. On a bright June day, Lord John Grey emerges from his club, his mind in turmoil. A nobleman and a high-ranking officer in His Majesty's Army, Grey has just witnessed something shocking. But his efforts to avoid a scandal that might destroy his family are interrupted by something still more urgent: the Crown appoints hum to investigate the brutal murder of a comrade-in-arms, who might well have been a traitor.

This "chapter" in Lord John's life shows his commitment to his family as well as his commitment to his career. He's a fascinating character- a gay man in a historically conservative time, he is forced to be very careful about his proclivities, though he isn't able to control the ways of his year. He's much more than he seems to be, however.

This edition includes an excerpt from the Outlander series Jamie & Claire novel, A Breath of Snow and Ashes. It also contains a bonus Lord John short story which is featured in the third Lord John book, Lord John and the Hands of Devils.

Journal Entry 2 by wingKateKintailwing from Burke, Virginia USA on Sunday, July 06, 2008
Adding to my LGBT Bookbox. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 3 by wingGoryDetailswing from Nashua, New Hampshire USA on Wednesday, July 16, 2008
I'd already read and enjoyed this book, so I won't claim this copy from the LGBT book box, but I did want to add my comments before sending it on its way:

This book is another of the many that I "discovered" via BookCrossing; I happened to see a pre-publication copy of this book on somebody's bookshelf, was intrigued by the title, and learned that the character had appeared in several of the books in the "Outlander" series, so I had to get hold of those volumes first. After reading "Voyager" I decided that Lord John (a young British officer who has the bad luck to fall in love with the utterly unavailable Jamie Fraser) was my favorite character, so I immediately picked up a copy of "Lord John and the Private Matter," and enjoyed it very much indeed.

I gather that ardent fans of Jamie and Claire from the "Outlander" series may not be as thrilled with this book, as (a) Jamie and Claire aren't in it {grin}, and (b) it's much more a detective story than the lush romantic adventures of the other books (though a romantic scene or two manage to creep in - I won't say between whom!). I'm finding that I like it better than Gabaldon's more sprawling novels, though; there's a lot of period detail here, and some wonderful you-are-there stuff (including lots of humor, as when Lord John finds himself trying to defend a corpse from two bereaved women, each determined to bury the body in her own chosen way, and each with a mob to back her up).

The mysteries - there are several - turn out to have somewhat unexpected but quite satisfactory resolutions, and Lord John acquits himself admirably, with the aid of his new valet, Tom Byrd, and other friends, some of whom have also appeared in the "Outlander" books.

*** Side note: there's an unabridged-audio version of this book (I got mine via Audible.com), read by Jeff Woodman, and I enjoyed that even more than when I first read the book; Woodman's a perfect narrator for this story.

Journal Entry 4 by kanaye44 from Norwich, Connecticut USA on Saturday, July 26, 2008
Taking it out of the LGBT bookbox.

Journal Entry 5 by butterfly-noir from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Wednesday, October 15, 2008
arrived today. got it from the glbt relay at bookobsessed.

thank you for shiping it so quicly kanaye

Journal Entry 6 by Sassenachclaire at Ericeira, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Sunday, August 13, 2017
❤❤❤