corner corner The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted: Stories

The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted: Stories
by Elizabeth Berg | Audiobooks
Registered by indygo88 of Lafayette, Indiana USA on 4/18/2008

status (set by BOOKWORMINUSALL): to be read

Journal Entry 1 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Friday, April 18, 2008

"Exhilarating short stories of women breaking free from convention.
Every now and then, right in the middle of an ordinary day, a woman rebels, kicks up her heels, and commits a small act of liberation.
What would you do, if you were going to break out and away? Go AWOL from Weight Watchers and spend an entire day eating every single thing you want–and then some? Start a dating service for people over fifty to reclaim the razzle-dazzle in your life–or your marriage? Seek comfort in the face of aging, look for love in the midst of loss, find friendship in the most surprising of places?
Imagine that the people in these wonderful stories–who do all of these things and more–are asking you: What would you do, if nobody was looking?"

Received from Random House through LibraryThing's Early Reviewer program. (unabridged on 7 CD's; read by the author)

The audiobook packaging does not include chapter titles, so I've listed them here:

1. The Day I Ate Whatever I Wanted
10. The Only One of Millions Just Like Him
11. Truth or Dare
12. How to Make an Apple Pie
13. Sin City

Journal Entry 2 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Thursday, April 24, 2008

Though I have several of Elizabeth Berg's novels on my bookshelf, I've yet to delve into any of them, so this was technically my first read of hers. This was a pleasant little collection of stories on various topics, seemingly geared mostly toward middle age women. Though I wasn't blown away by the book, it did provide a nice mix of emotions: laughter, sadness, happiness, hopefulness.... A few were in the first person (I'm not sure if these were actually Berg's personal stories or not), and I seemed to enjoy those most. The first story had me laughing a lot. Another one was very sad & had me near tears. Overall, I thought Berg did a really good job with characterization, as I could really picture most of these scenarios.

Journal Entry 3 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Sunday, April 27, 2008

I've decided to try this out as a U.S. bookring (my first audio bookring!). General bookring courtesy applies. Please make a journal entry when you receive the audiobook & then again with your review/thoughts & when you're mailing it out to the next person. Please try not to keep the audiobook too long -- PM me if you need extra time so that I can try to keep updated tabs on the book. The audiobook is packaged in a cardboard box. From past experience, I know these don't necessarily hold up too well with repeated mailings, so if you have a small box of your own that you can mail this in, please do so, just to try to keep it intact as long as possible. But don't sweat it if you don't. A padded envelope is good too.

Mailing order:

hotflash (AZ)
PaulsBooks(aka tostle) (UT)
smhamn (OH)
indygo88 (IN)

Thanks for joining! Enjoy the book! :')

Journal Entry 4 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Shipping out to classicfox tomorrow!

Journal Entry 5 by classicfox on Monday, May 05, 2008

Just got this in the mail today and will pop it in my CD player on way to work! Thanks indygo88!

Journal Entry 6 by classicfox on Monday, May 05, 2008

Ok, I have to journal this right away as it made me laugh so hard: In the first story, Berg goes on and on about Dunkin Donuts; she names every last one of them and how she licked each and every one she bought on this day of "eating whatever she wanted." Well as *my* luck would have it, I LOVE Dunkin Donuts and as I'm listening and drooling, *what* do I pass on the way to work--yep, Dunkin Donuts. And *what* is the very first thing I see as soon as I get to work (which I've never seen there before)--yep, a whole big fat box of Dunkin Donuts, *SIGH.* So what do I stop and get after work?? Oh figure it out. And pass me a napkin. ;)

Journal Entry 7 by classicfox on Thursday, May 15, 2008

Finished this today, although I sort of skimmed through #6. The first story was by far my favorite! It went downhill from there--however I did enjoy the "Michael" story and it actually made me cry. And the last story, Rita and Herman made me smile. Thank you for including me in this ring, indygo88; I am always anxious to read or listen to Elizabeth Berg's books. On its way to Valentina1209 tomorrow.

Journal Entry 8 by classicfox at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, May 16, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (5/16/2008 UTC) at Controlled Release in Controlled Release, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Mailed via first class today to valentina1209--hope you enjoy!

Journal Entry 9 by valentina1209 from Bethpage, New York USA on Saturday, May 24, 2008

Audiobook arrived safely in New York! I love Elizabeth Berg, and I'm anxious to listen to this.

6/24/08
It took me a longer to make the time to listen to this collection than it would have taken me to read it, but I truly hung on every word spoken from this author, whom I've admired throughout her illustrous career! The first story was something that resonated so strongly within me, and that set the tone for making a personal connection with each of the others.

Thanks for including me in this bookring!

Journal Entry 10 by valentina1209 at bookring in bookring, Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, June 23, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (6/23/2008 UTC) at bookring in bookring, Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Keep Them Moving Challenge release #43

sending to msjoanna

Journal Entry 11 by msjoanna from Columbia, Missouri USA on Monday, June 30, 2008

This has arrived in New York with perfect timing as I just finished my previous audiobook on Friday. I'll start this on the drive to work this morning.

Journal Entry 12 by msjoanna from Columbia, Missouri USA on Thursday, July 10, 2008

I enjoyed listening to the author read these stories. As with most short story collections, some of the stories were better than others. In particular, I enjoyed the story that was a letter reading a recipe for making apple pie and the story about Michael. I think I enjoyed listening to these stories more than I would have liked reading them -- the author reading them aloud made them feel like a conversation with a favorite aunt or an old friend.

I also was glad to hear a shout out to Nora Ephron's I Feel Bad About My Neck. That book kept coming to mind as a great parallel read with this one. I found the recurring themes of Weight Watchers and wistfulness to be a connecting thread rather than an annoying repetition.

Journal Entry 13 by msjoanna at sent by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, July 19, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (7/19/2008 UTC) at sent by post, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Now on its way to the next listener!

Journal Entry 14 by gnissorckoob from Miami, Florida USA on Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Got it. I joined this bookring because I liked the title, I like short fiction, and I like unabridged audios. Don't know anything about Elizabeth Berg. Uploading to iTunes and will journal later.

Note: Mysscyn found this audio in her library and is already listening to it. I am giving her the bcid so she can journal here when she finishes the book, and I will mail on to hotflash.

Update 08/03/08: I listened to about half of these, but they weren't for me. I was expecting funny and uplifting, but the characters in the stories seemed mostly unhappy, dissatisfied, settling for less than they really wanted.

Journal Entry 15 by gnissorckoob at Tucson, Arizona USA on Friday, August 01, 2008

Released 9 yrs ago (8/1/2008 UTC) at Tucson, Arizona USA

CONTROLLED RELEASE NOTE: mailed off to Arizona. DC 0305 2200 0000 0680 5139

Journal Entry 16 by hotflash from Tucson, Arizona USA on Thursday, August 07, 2008

Just found a package sitting outside my door !
Looking forward to this one. Elizabeth Berg is one of my favorite writers.
Thanks for including me.

Journal Entry 17 by hotflash from Tucson, Arizona USA on Monday, August 11, 2008

Well, I have listened to stories 1 through 7. I find myself agreeing with gnissorckoob's opinion where she states "I was expecting funny and uplifting, but the characters in the stories seemed mostly unhappy, dissatisfied, settling for less than they really wanted. "
These are the first stories by Berg that I haven't really enjoyed. Maybe it's just me fighting my own aging blues (and more surprisingly, Berg's voice just annoys me.).
I will PM the next reader to get this book moving again. Might continue to listen to the rest of stories tomorrow to see if my 'review' is simply a product of an off day today.

Journal Entry 18 by hotflash from Tucson, Arizona USA on Saturday, August 16, 2008

On the way to PaulsBooks (tostle) in Salt Lake City, Utah. Media Mail.

Journal Entry 19 by tostle from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Monday, September 08, 2008

Thanks for sending this audiobook. I am excited to listen to this book as I love this author.

Journal Entry 20 by tostle from Salt Lake City, Utah USA on Saturday, November 15, 2008

I enjoyed listening to these fun short stories. Some certainly made me chuckle! Some were very tender! I will send this off to smhamn!

Journal Entry 21 by smhamn from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Received today! Thank You!

Journal Entry 22 by smhamn from Cincinnati, Ohio USA on Friday, January 16, 2009

I agree with some of the other bookcrossers, the first story really caught my attention, then, the rest were ok. I did also enjoy the story about Micheal too. I did enjoy that the author read the stories herself and did add character to the stories. Thanks for sharing this book with me!

Journal Entry 23 by smhamn at Cincinnati, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases on Friday, January 16, 2009

Released 8 yrs ago (1/16/2009 UTC) at Cincinnati, a fellow bookcrosser -- Controlled Releases

Sending to Indygo88! Thank you for including me on this ring! Releasing for the Keep Them Moving Release Challenge!

Journal Entry 24 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Arrived back home. The box is a little worse for wear, but I would expect that after so many mailings! Overall, I'm very impressed that this audiobook made it all the way back home. Thanks to everyone who helped make that happen! :')

Journal Entry 25 by indygo88 from Lafayette, Indiana USA on Sunday, June 28, 2009

This is wrapped up & will be traveling again later this week to KathyB, via a relay. Enjoy! :')

Journal Entry 26 by KathyB25 from Arlington, Texas USA on Monday, July 06, 2009

Received today from Indygo88 -- Thanks!

Journal Entry 27 by KathyB25 at Arlington, Texas USA on Saturday, June 02, 2012

On it's way to Azuki

Journal Entry 28 by wingazukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Friday, June 15, 2012

Received for the BookObsessed audio vbb. Thanks!

Journal Entry 29 by wingazukiwing at Miami, Florida USA on Sunday, August 17, 2014

Sort of a hen-lit collection, with many characters going through some sort of mid life crisis: trying to lose weight, fantasizing about a romance, getting over an ex. The stories feel authentic, often funny, although the too-frequent mention of Weight Watchers is annoying. I think I would have loved the stories better were they scattered in different collections rather than concentrated on one heavy dose of mid-life unhappiness. I mean, there's enough of that in real life already no need for a boost from fiction.

Journal Entry 30 by wingazukiwing at Audio VBB in Virtual Book Box, BookObsessed Swap -- Controlled Releases on Monday, August 03, 2015

Released 2 yrs ago (8/3/2015 UTC) at Audio VBB in Virtual Book Box, BookObsessed Swap -- Controlled Releases

Off to dabercro selected it from booklady331's vbb.

Journal Entry 31 by dabercro at Clinton, Utah USA on Saturday, August 15, 2015

Arrived in the mail. Thanks for sending.

Journal Entry 32 by dabercro at Clinton, Utah USA on Saturday, February 13, 2016

A series of short stories. There were some I definitely enjoyed more than others. I especially didn't care for the stories obsessing about food and Weight Watchers.

Journal Entry 33 by dabercro at another bookcrosser, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (2/23/2016 UTC) at another bookcrosser, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Sending to Aberpeter in WA.

Journal Entry 34 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Saturday, February 27, 2016

Journal Entry 35 by Aberpeter at Kirkland, Washington USA on Sunday, April 17, 2016

There was clearly an underlying theme of women trying to make a change, either large or small, to their lives. Overall the stories were enjoyable to listen to.

Journal Entry 36 by Aberpeter at Renton, Washington USA on Saturday, June 11, 2016

Released 1 yr ago (6/11/2016 UTC) at Renton, Washington USA

adding to BigJohnLefty's Other Audio Bookbox

Journal Entry 37 by wingJudySlump612wing at Minneapolis, Minnesota USA on Sunday, October 29, 2017

Taken from the BigJohnLefty Other Audio Bookbox

Journal Entry 38 by wingJudySlump612wing at BigJohnLefty's CD-only AudioBookBox, Audio Book Box -- Controlled Releases on Sunday, October 29, 2017

Released 3 wks ago (10/28/2017 UTC) at BigJohnLefty's CD-only AudioBookBox, Audio Book Box -- Controlled Releases

Sent to Bookworminusall for the BigJohnLefty Audio VBB

Journal Entry 39 by BOOKWORMINUSALL at Mesa, Arizona USA on Sunday, October 29, 2017

Book arrived safely yesterday, and I look forward to listening to it. THANK YOU for sending it, JudySlump612, and THANK YOU for all of your extra efforts in making this VBB transition of BigJohnLefty's AudioBookbox a reality. Hopefully it will attract many new "listeners" and help these Audio Books continue their Bookcrossing Journeys. : )

JudySlump612's New Audiobook VBB (BigJohnLefty's box transformed)