Transgressions

by Sarah Dunant | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by Genevalove of Fairfax, Virginia USA on 4/18/2008
Journal Entry 1 by Genevalove from Fairfax, Virginia USA on Friday, April 18, 2008
I'm about a quarter of the way through this book and it's already quite gripping. I'll finish it soon and pass it on at our next Bangkok bookcrossers meeting.

Journal Entry 2 by Genevalove from Fairfax, Virginia USA on Saturday, April 19, 2008
This book was gripping and well-written, but at a certain point the reader has to accept the main character's reaction to a situation as plausible, and I'm not sure I really bought it. Elizabeth, a translator in the process of coping with a break-up from her very long-term boyfriend, encounters some strange occurrences in her home and begins to question whether her prolonged isolation has led to mental problems, or whether something more sinister is going on. The interweaving of the book she's translating with the main narrative was interesting, especially when Elizabeth starts going beyond the traditional role of translation, but that central plot point bothered me and I couldn't quite get beyond it. All in all, a disturbing book that might keep you up nights.

Journal Entry 3 by llita from Bangkok, (Bangkok) Krung Thep Mahanakhon Thailand on Friday, May 16, 2008
got this at the last meeting. Passing it on today. Would like to write more, but there is a toddler in my lap.