Perfect Match: A Novel

by Jodi Picoult | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by michyj of Daglish, Western Australia Australia on 4/18/2008
Journal Entry 1 by michyj from Daglish, Western Australia Australia on Friday, April 18, 2008
From Publishers Weekly
One plot element¢a case of child molestation involving a Catholic priest¢in Picoult's latest novel (after Salem Falls) now seems eerily prescient, but that's only part of the saga she weaves, which is primarily an indictment of the current criminal justice system. Nina Frost, an assistant district attorney in Maine, knows how hard it is to obtain a conviction for a sex crime when the victim is a juvenile, so when her five-year-old son, Nathaniel, identifies their priest as being the man who raped him, Nina's grievances with the system become personal. Frustrated by the threat of an unsatisfactory legal outcome, she takes the law into her own hands, killing the priest in open court. Awaiting her own trial, a startling fact emerges from the DNA: the priest was innocent. Will Nina be able to prove to a jury that her actions were justified, particularly since she killed the wrong man? Picoult adeptly renders Nina's feelings¢impotence, guilt, the drive for retribution¢but Nina is herself an unsympathetic heroine, from her initial accusation of her husband to her arrogant vigilante stance, which does little to persuade the reader that an act of premeditation should be recast as maternal instinct. While the argument that the current system is flawed is solid, the only alternative offered is an iffy form of frontier justice that many readers may find unpalatable.

Journal Entry 2 by michyj at Pacific Pines Tavern in Gold Coast, Queensland Australia on Saturday, January 17, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (1/17/2009 UTC) at Pacific Pines Tavern in Gold Coast, Queensland Australia

I have 2 copies of this book, so will bring this copy to the Gold Coast Meet Up as it is always easy to find a Jodi Picoult fan to give it to!

Journal Entry 3 by Tinina67 from Seissan, Midi-Pyrénées France on Sunday, January 18, 2009
Found it on my first GCBC-meetup.
Had lots of fun - thank you!

Journal Entry 4 by Tinina67 from Seissan, Midi-Pyrénées France on Friday, March 13, 2009
This was my first Picoult book. I read it nearly in one day, so it must have been interesting enough, though I won't say she is my favourite author. (The writing style and the story reminded me of another author, but can't remember which one.)

Journal Entry 5 by Tinina67 at Postal, RABCK Raffle winner -- Controlled Releases on Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (7/8/2009 UTC) at Postal, RABCK Raffle winner -- Controlled Releases

I hope you enjoy this book!

Journal Entry 6 by eldaBonifacio from Leiria, Leiria Portugal on Friday, October 02, 2009
The book arrived this week... It was a long journey, 3 months! =)
*** Thanks for your generosity Tinina! ***

Journal Entry 7 by eldaBonifacio from Leiria, Leiria Portugal on Tuesday, November 10, 2009
This book will travel in a Portuguese BOOKRING to these Bookcrossers:
- FallenAngels
- micazy
- Mraianita
- LauMaia
- Tauina
...

Enjoy! =)

Journal Entry 8 by FallenAngels from Parede, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Wednesday, November 11, 2009
The book has just arrived and it's safe with me...Thanks!!

Journal Entry 9 by FallenAngels from Parede, Lisboa (distrito) Portugal on Monday, December 14, 2009
Another excellent book by Jodi Picoult. The way Picoult writes, makes the reading really fluid, even when she manages to change from the main character speach to the narrator speach. As in other Picoult's books, we start to meet the characters, with a serene life, where the days go by between familly and work, until one day the unthinkable happens and eveything falls apart. Do I agree with what Nina and her husband did? No, absolutely not. Which doesn't mean I haven't loved this reading.

Seguiu para micazy...Obrigada e desculpa pela demora!!

Journal Entry 10 by micazy from Costa da Caparica, Setúbal Portugal on Tuesday, December 15, 2009
Arrived :) Thank you!

Journal Entry 11 by micazy from Costa da Caparica, Setúbal Portugal on Thursday, May 20, 2010
Once more, a great story from Jodi Picoult. She's one of my favourite writers. Her books really make me think. What's right, what's wrong, what would I do? From a mother's view it was hard to read this one. But also got very important messages!
"Life, it turns out, goes on. There is no cosmic rule that grants you immunity from the details just because you have come face-to-face with a catastrophe. The garbage cans still overflow, the bills arrive in the mail, telemarketers interrupt dinner".

25.02.2011 - Mraianita didn't answer my pm's, sent today to LauMaia