The Power of One

Registered by bookworm76 of Chermside, Queensland Australia on 4/12/2008
Journal Entry 1 by bookworm76 from Chermside, Queensland Australia on Saturday, April 12, 2008
The book begins when a five-year-old boy is being sent off to boarding school. He's small for his age, white and of English descent. His name is Peekay and he lives in South Africa. Up to this point in his life he's known only his family and his beloved black Nanny. Now, he's forced to take care of himself and survive under the most brutal of circumstances. The time is World War II and Peekay spends years in a boarding school where he's the only English student among Afrikaners who are sympathetic to the Nazi cause. He's beaten, tortured and treated as a "prisoner of war" by the older boys. The Afrikaners are the descendents of the Dutch and there has been a great deal of conflict between them and the English settlers who came to South Africa at a later period of time.

When I first started reading this novel, I wasn't sure if I could handle the passages about the brutal treatment of the little boy. However, I quickly learned that Peekay is a spirited survivor and would make it through that horrible period of his life. On his vacations from school, he meets several people, both black and white who really influence him and teach him to work hard in order to fulfill his dreams. I found an uplifting joy in every success that Peekay experienced.

This is a big book, but I managed to read it in one session and this story has always had a place in my heart. The character of Peekay is very inspiring.

Journal Entry 2 by bookworm76 at Controlled Release in Lutwyche, Queensland Australia on Sunday, April 20, 2008

Released 13 yrs ago (4/20/2008 UTC) at Controlled Release in Lutwyche, Queensland Australia

Sending off to another bookcrosser

Journal Entry 3 by jennannej from Coronado, California USA on Saturday, July 26, 2008
Thanks for sending me a few books by this Australian author. It's quite exciting to try a new author. It arrived here at Bryce Canyon National Park safe and sound.

Journal Entry 4 by jennannej from Coronado, California USA on Monday, October 20, 2008
What a book. From the first, this book was a struggle for me. I tried to read a chapter, or at least a section, a day just to get through it. About halfway through though, it caught me and I started plowing through it more and more quickly. By the end I was frustrated that it just dropped off before the boxing championships, before everything was resolved! It was an interesting look at South Africa of 60 years ago - a place I know little about. I might have to track down the sequel to this novel.

Journal Entry 5 by jennannej at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Sunday, October 26, 2008

Released 12 yrs ago (10/26/2008 UTC) at ~ RABCK ~, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

Off in the mail yesterday as a surprise RABCK.

Journal Entry 6 by olered from Salem, Oregon USA on Tuesday, October 28, 2008
'The Power of One' arrived this morning...(yesterday I guess). It is big...but I am anxious to get to it. Thank you so much for the surprise RABCK jennannej! It was delightful to receive the package!