A Step From Heaven

by An Na | Teens |
Registered by Geegal on 4/8/2008
Journal Entry 1 by Geegal on Tuesday, April 08, 2008
res for teen vbb

Journal Entry 2 by Geegal at N/A in Trade, A Trade -- Controlled Releases on Monday, May 12, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (5/15/2008 UTC) at N/A in Trade, A Trade -- Controlled Releases

sending to the US as part of a VBB

Journal Entry 3 by yourotherleft from Danville, Pennsylvania USA on Saturday, May 24, 2008
This came in the mail today. Looking forward to reading it. Thanks!

Journal Entry 4 by yourotherleft from Danville, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, June 12, 2009
This is a very realistic and poignant depiction of the triumphs and struggles of Young Ju's family as she grows up which must be typical of an Asian immigrant experience. The difficult balance between becoming more American and enjoying the benefits of that and retaining the values and culture of home is well-drawn.

The book comes together as almost as a collection of short stories that take place as Young Ju grows from a child to adult in America, with parents who are still very Korean. At first I didn't like how disjointed it felt, but then I started to appreciate how An Na's short vignettes communicated so much about Young Ju and her family's experience from her trip with her easily-frustrated father to renew her green card where she knows that she has to take care of him to the moments when it begins to dawn on both her and her mother that they no longer have to be limited by the cultural norms they brought with them from their first home. A powerful and touching book.

--------------------

Sent to Appa who took it out of the Teen VBB. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 5 by appaloosatb from Rochester, Minnesota USA on Friday, June 26, 2009
This has arrived safely. Thank you!

Journal Entry 6 by appaloosatb at Boxing Day Exchange, BookObsessed Swap -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, December 17, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (12/17/2009 UTC) at Boxing Day Exchange, BookObsessed Swap -- Controlled Releases

Mailing to my Boxing Day partner. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 7 by HoserLauren from Burlington, Ontario Canada on Thursday, December 31, 2009
Thank you very much Appa! I had heard about this book on someone else's blog and thought it sounded quite interesting.
Thanks again!

Journal Entry 8 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Thursday, August 11, 2011
Young Ju is very young when she learns that her family is moving from Korea to America (Mi Gook). She doesn't quite understand and thinks that the trip on the plane to the USA will take her to heaven. She grows up in America with an American schooling system but still has very Asian parents that try to make her adhere to her Korean culture. Young Ju's father becomes verbally and physically abusive the longer the family stays in Korea, making Young Ju question whether she should act according to her Korean background or act like kids of her new country.

This short book has definite segregation between it's chapters, as there was usually a change in time between them. It was never made very clear how much time had elapsed from the last chapter which made me feel like I was always trying to get my bearings. The only other problem I had with the book is that many Korean words are used and I had to enlist my husband to help me translate as he is 1/2 Korean.

The story is mildly depressing but there is always the glimmer of hope of living the "American dream" and being better off by having moved to a new country. I enjoyed this story of a family's immigration and cultural adaption experience.

To help those in that read this book:

Apa - dad
Uhmma (pronounced O-ma) - mom
Gomo - aunt
Mi Gook - USA
Halmoni (pronounced like harmony) - grandmother
Uhn-nee - sister

Journal Entry 9 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, August 22, 2011
This book is with me now :)

Journal Entry 10 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Monday, August 22, 2011
This book is with me now :)

Journal Entry 11 by wingAceofHeartswing at Mississauga, Ontario Canada on Friday, September 02, 2011
Young Ju is only 4 when her family moves from Korea to the US. This book follows the journey of a young immigrant entering the school system without a word of English and being sort of in between the American and Korean cultures. Her father strives to maintain his Korean culture and values and becomes increasingly frustrated. He eventually becomes abusive and finally decides to return home.

Young Ju's mother is more able to cope and after having a son joins a Korean church and starts to become assimilated. The son while spoiled for just being a boy spirals into worse and worse behaviour.

This book reads like a collection of short stories. I had a bit of difficulty with all the Korean words and would have liked a translation somewhere. An interesting journey about a family trying to achieve the American dream.

Journal Entry 12 by HoserLauren at Toronto, Ontario Canada on Monday, January 16, 2012
Mailed today to therubycanary because she took it out of the virtual book box.

Journal Entry 13 by therubycanary at Portland, Maine USA on Wednesday, January 25, 2012
Thanks for passing this on! It's definitely made the bookobsessed rounds!

Journal Entry 14 by therubycanary at Portland, Maine USA on Monday, February 13, 2012
After having lived in Korea, this book really brought back some of the sights, sounds, and tastes of being there. I really, really miss the food.

The story itself is so sad. An abusive, alcoholic dad brings his family halfway around the world with delusions of what living in American means. As he continues to fail at his life, just as he did in Korea, he takes out his frustrations on his family more and more. What was really realistic about this book is how the mom and kids react. They don't try to leave, because this is their life, and you get the impression that Young Ju, although she knows something is wrong, believes that most families have these demons behind closed doors.

I found this story a little hard to read it was so moving, and would have a hard time recommending it to younger readers.

Journal Entry 15 by therubycanary at LLBean Northport Call Center in Portland, Maine USA on Monday, February 13, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (2/13/2012 UTC) at LLBean Northport Call Center in Portland, Maine USA

Left on the book swapping shelf. I've been trying to get through as many short books as I can to leave on the shelf to hopefully get some folks from work involved with bookcrossing.