Agatha Raisin and the Wizard of Evesham (Agatha Raisin Mysteries)

by M. C. Beaton | Mystery & Thrillers |
Registered by bksfamly of Peoria, Arizona USA on 4/5/2008
Journal Entry 1 by bksfamly from Peoria, Arizona USA on Saturday, April 05, 2008
Welcome to Bookcrossing. Thanks for catching this book and making a journal entry. I hope you enjoy reading the book and condisder joining bookcrossing. Bookcrossing its free and lots of fun. Plus you can track the books you have read and see where they end up and how others liked the book. If you choose to join bookcrossing, I hope you will consider using me, bksfamly, as the one who referred you

Journal Entry 2 by bksfamly at controlled release, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases on Friday, May 08, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (5/9/2009 UTC) at controlled release, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases

bookring spiral

Journal Entry 3 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Saturday, May 16, 2009
It has arrived with 8 other books in the series.

Journal Entry 4 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Friday, February 12, 2010
I thoguht an update might be appreciated.

I have started this book. I had taken a little break to let the first books in the series start moving and then time got away from me. I hope to read this and the next and get them on their way soon.

Journal Entry 5 by NMReader from Herndon, Virginia USA on Monday, February 15, 2010
Agatha is up to her head in the mystery this time. She goes to a new hairdresser who is quite the lady's man. He makes a play for Agatha and she is delighted until she starts hearing things. Next thing you know he is dead, and Charles and Agatha start investigating for fun.

As soon as I confirm that Bug2004 is still interested this book will be on its way

Journal Entry 6 by NMReader at Herndon, Virginia USA on Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (2/16/2010 UTC) at Herndon, Virginia USA

I hope to drop by the PO on my way home from work.

Delivery Confirmation Number: 0308 0660 0001 6599 9398

Label/Receipt Number: 0308 0660 0001 6599 9398
Class: Package Services
Service(s): Delivery Confirmation™
Status: Delivered

Your item was delivered at 11:55 AM on February 22, 2010 in OMAHA, NE 68136.

Journal Entry 7 by Bug2004 from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Thursday, February 25, 2010
Arrived safely.

Journal Entry 8 by Bug2004 at Omaha, Nebraska USA on Thursday, June 03, 2010
Massive Agatha read this weekend...fun as always. Sorry for keeping it so long! Mailed off today.

Journal Entry 9 by sunfi at Dayton, Ohio USA on Friday, July 02, 2010
I've caught this one, along with the other 8 it was traveling with, safely in Ohio. In order to try to get this spiral moving again, I'll try to sprinkle these books in with the other rings/rays that I'm working through and start passing them on two or so at a time, to prevent anyone else from having a stack just waiting for them.

I keep my profile updated (on a weekly basis) so you can see how these are faring, I hope to have them all on their way by early Nov, sooner if other rings/rays stop showing up in my mailbox.

Thanks for including me in this spiral and mailing these to me.

Update: 28 Nov 10 - Just finished this one. This one moved quicker for me than the last one. I do like Agatha, she does grow on you, but she does get herself into some interesting situations. I'll finish one more in the spiral before I mail this on.

Journal Entry 10 by sunfi at Dayton, Ohio USA on Wednesday, January 05, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (1/5/2011 UTC) at Dayton, Ohio USA

On its way to Canada, it should arrive in the next month or so.

Journal Entry 11 by wingjumpinginwing at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, January 20, 2011
I received five Agatha books today. I'll have them on their way as soon as possible.

Thanks, sunfi, for sending them to me.

Journal Entry 12 by wingjumpinginwing at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Wednesday, March 16, 2011
I agree with sunfi--this one seemed to move a little faster than the others. Another enjoyable Agatha read!

Journal Entry 13 by wingjumpinginwing at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, July 03, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (7/3/2011 UTC) at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada

Tinina67 asked to be skipped, so I sent this book and four others to FrancesinSA by surface mail today.

Journal Entry 14 by FrancesinSA at Sasolburg, Free State South Africa on Friday, September 09, 2011
Received books #7 to #11 today. Thank you jumpingin for posting them to me. Can't wait to start reading them.

Journal Entry 15 by FrancesinSA at Sasolburg, Free State South Africa on Tuesday, September 27, 2011
James Lacey is away, and so Sir Charles is Agatha's sidekick on this mystery. Mr. John, the hairdresser hears all kinds of secrets and blackmail gets him killed. Agatha’s love life is a disaster.

Journal Entry 16 by FrancesinSA at Sasolburg, Free State South Africa on Monday, October 24, 2011

Released 7 yrs ago (10/24/2011 UTC) at Sasolburg, Free State South Africa

Posting today to Tinina67 in France.

Journal Entry 17 by Tinina67 at Seissan, Midi-Pyrénées France on Wednesday, November 09, 2011
Arrived today! Yay!

Journal Entry 18 by Tinina67 at Seissan, Midi-Pyrénées France on Saturday, November 26, 2011
Agatha is still Agatha, trying to find love in all the wrong places, finding instead murder and mysteries...

Now on its way to Chich!

Journal Entry 19 by chich at Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Monday, December 05, 2011
Received today, many thanks Tinina67!

Journal Entry 20 by chich at Sant Antoni de Portmany, Illes Balears/Islas Baleares Spain on Thursday, December 22, 2011
Yet another fun Agatha adventure:) I find it much more enjoyable when James isn't around! Agatha's love life might be a disaster but at least Sir Charles' character is less uptight that James' ;)

Updated Jan. 20, 2012: neither Jozebedee nor Bookwormteacher have responded to my messages so I will be sending the book to HerbertLooby.

Journal Entry 21 by chich at Book Spiral, Book Spiral -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, January 19, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (1/20/2012 UTC) at Book Spiral, Book Spiral -- Controlled Releases

Book sent to HerbertLooby today, enjoy! :)

Journal Entry 22 by HerbertLooby at Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, February 04, 2012
Caught and ready for me to enjoy!

Journal Entry 23 by wingCassandra2020wing at Roslin, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 10, 2014
Hmm. I picked this up from TiffanyAching on Sunday, but looking at the journals, it appears to be part of an old book spiral. As I've already read it, I'll see if I can find out where it should be and get it moving again.

Journal Entry 24 by wingIcilawing at Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, May 23, 2015
A lot of thanks Cassandra2020 ! The books were waiting for me at the reception.
We had a marvelous time in Scotland, my group and I.
So many kind people in beautiful landscapes.

Journal Entry 25 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Saturday, May 12, 2018
Nothing else but Agatha Raisin to cheer up the mood.

Journal Entry 26 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Thursday, January 31, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (1/31/2019 UTC) at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France

On its way to Finland. Enjoy kirjakko !

Journal Entry 27 by wingkirjakkowing at Sipoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, February 07, 2019
Agatha arrived safe and sound in the middle of snow. Great to see a book that has been on the road for this long and covered a lot of miles in three continents.

Journal Entry 28 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, February 13, 2019
The heat wave Agatha is suffering from sounds like something we had last summer -six weeks of hot hot hot and dry weather, it did not rain or get any cooler during night time. Just awful.
I used to know an english-speaking second-hand bookshop keeper in Helsinki to whom everybody would pour her heart out and tell him their darkest secrets and in which closet the family skeletons were kept. I called him the KGB. I think it had something to do with the language, English is good for expressing feelings and telling stories. I think the ladies would not have been as open with their secrets had they spoken in Finnish.

Journal Entry 29 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, February 16, 2019
I know just how Agatha feels, when everyday things of one's youth - or worse, current day - appear in Museums.

I have been so impressed that this book has been on and off the road for nearly eleven years, has been to four states in the US, then over the border to Canada, then changed continents and travelled to South Africa, another hop to Europe (third continent) and to four countries there! Wow! So it jumped the queue and is my current read, but I also wanted it to reach yet another continent. I searched for an active Australian bookcrosser who likes Agatha (many just can't stand her, and in real life I would hate her guts) and would like to have and journal the book, if it flew over. Found goldenwattle, who would be happy to have Agatha as a house guest. So next week Agatha will travel on to new adventures. I think I need to look at the world atlas to physically see her route so far. Thanks everybody who have been part of her journey.

Pic: A samovar (Russian tea kettle) in a museum in Helsinki. I have her twin sister at home. Grandma brought two back from her trip to Karelia, which was part of eastern Finland before WW2. One samovar was stolen from granny's storage room in the cellar of a block-of-flats, so we only have one. Perhaps the one in the museum is the stolen sister?

Journal Entry 30 by wingkirjakkowing at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Saturday, February 16, 2019
Finished. No comments concerning the plot, but I was wondering about a couple of things about visiting a hairdresser. Here the same person does everything from start to finish, in the book trainees or assistants did basic stuff like washing and then the maestro came in and continued. Is that customary elsewhere? Also I've never tipped a hairdresser, has somebody else?

Pic: Barber shop in Mayfair: Jack the Clipper... London born & bled.

Journal Entry 31 by wingkirjakkowing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, February 16, 2019

Released 3 mos ago (2/17/2019 UTC) at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia

Agatha is heading to concure yet another corner of the world, Down Under this time. I hope goldenwattle likes the book and will find Agatha a new reader once she is ready to travel on. I wish she won't be released in the wild as it would be a shame to loose her trail.

Journal Entry 32 by wingIcilawing at Nantes, Pays de la Loire France on Sunday, February 17, 2019
Your question is a difficult one kirkjakko, in France it was usual to have a trainee or assistant to do the mundane job. In the present days all situations can be found, depending of the financial and standing status of the hairdresser.
It was usual too to tip the assistant directly (I was always shy about that). Nowadays there is a cup near the till but as the regulations concerning work are strong in France tipping isn't usual anymore (that's why French people have a bad reputation abroad, particularly in the restaurants.)
Hairdressing, as manual labor in general, is slowly being fashionable again among young people (and their parents...)

Journal Entry 33 by winggoldenwattlewing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, March 09, 2019
I checked my mailbox today and was thrilled to find this book waiting for me. I am about to go travelling for a couple of weeks, so I will take this book along with me. I was looking for another book to take with me, and here it is :)
Thank you Kirjakko for sending it. That was kind.

My mother, Needle-n-Thread, also likes Agatha Raison, so I will see if she wants to read this after me. Then I will try people at our local BC group.

Thank you.

Journal Entry 34 by winggoldenwattlewing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, March 09, 2019
I noticed a question about tipping. Here is Australia we rarely tip. I have never tipped a hairdresser (although I haven't been to one in over twenty years and only a few times before that). It's also rare here to tip in cafés and the like. We have basic living wages.

Journal Entry 35 by Needle-n-Thread at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Tuesday, March 19, 2019
This is another fast read about Agatha and her involvement in trying to solve murder cases where she becomes involved and has some scary escapes. The police become suspicious of her interference, but she usually can talk her way out of trouble. This small book is hard to put down and an enjoyable read.

Journal Entry 36 by winggoldenwattlewing at Canberra, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Tuesday, March 19, 2019
The book has been returned to me.

I enjoyed this story. I recently saw this episode of Agatha on TV and I thought that would diminish my enjoyment of this read, but it didn't. It's a page turner. There is a short extract at the end of this story for the next story in the series and that looks good too.

Journal Entry 37 by winggoldenwattlewing at Griffith, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Thursday, March 28, 2019

Released 1 mo ago (3/30/2019 UTC) at Griffith, Australian Capital Territory Australia

Released at Gryphons Caffe Bar in Griffith, ACT at the Bookcrossing meet. Enjoy.

Journal Entry 38 by 42again at Griffith, Australian Capital Territory Australia on Saturday, March 30, 2019
Picked up from the table at the monthly meeting of the Canberra Bookcrossers.

Journal Entry 39 by 42again at Quillan, Languedoc-Roussillon France on Wednesday, May 01, 2019
It had been some years since I read an Agatha Raisin book, and this one was quite fun - altho it rather confirmed my dislike of going to the hairdresser..... :-)

Journal Entry 40 by 42again at Quillan, Languedoc-Roussillon France on Tuesday, May 07, 2019

Released 2 wks ago (5/6/2019 UTC) at Quillan, Languedoc-Roussillon France

Posted as RABCK to bookcrosser in Angleterre.

Hoping the book continues its long journey.

Journal Entry 41 by ETMadrid at London, Greater London United Kingdom on Friday, May 10, 2019
Amazing! No sooner had I put down what was probably the most recent RACBK I have received when another drops through the letterbox from the same bookcrosser! Thank you so much 42again!! I don't know these books - I suspect it's probably not so much my thing but here's my chance to give it a go ;)