Once Upon a Time in the North

by Phillip Pullman | Children's Books |
Registered by wingmiketrollwing on 4/3/2008
Journal Entry 1 by wingmiketrollwing on Thursday, April 03, 2008
Sorry I hadn't journaled this, LC, before releasing to you! I meant to read it and journal it on the ship, but had to wait till I got home. (I have a second copy.)

This is a prequel to Pullman's wonderful trilogy, His Dark Materials. Like "Lyra's Oxford", it's a slender piece of writing but pleasant to read, and no doubt a money spinner for the author and his publishers.

OUATITN is a simple Indiana Jones action adventure featuring Lee Scoresby, the American balloonist/aeronaut entrepreneur who accompanies Lyra, Tom and the polar bear, Iorek Byrnison, on their Arctic escapades in His Dark Materials.

At another level - and given the brevity of the tale one shouldn't make to much of this - the story is a crude allegory of good and evil. The bad guys in this case are international corporations whose self-interest threatens democracy and individual freedom. It's not hard to label the Russian politician, Poliakov, as the George W. Bush of the piece. The media also get short shrift.

To bulk out this slim offering, a simple Arctic race game is included in the end papers, "too exciting for children under 5 years of age".

This little book is enjoyable, but I would still recommend reading the far more substantial HDM trilogy first.

Journal Entry 2 by wingLeishaCamdenwing from Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Sunday, July 20, 2008
But was it ever read?? :-)

I met up with miketroll here in Oslo today as he and his wife visited for a day as part of their cruise along the Norwegian coast. The weather was lousy, but despite that we had a lovely day IMO, seeing various sights around the city and talking about this, that and the other. ;-)

Mike brought me this book as a gift - very thoughful. (Sorry I didn't have a book for you, but as I said I figured you'd be leery of adding unexpected weigh to your luggage since you will be flying back - so the little calendar seemed like a better choice :-). I haven't read anything by Pullman but I have been planning to for a while - this seems like a good place to start. Thank you, Mike!! I hope you and MrsTroll will enjoy the rest of your cruise! :-)

Journal Entry 3 by wingLeishaCamdenwing at Alna bydel, Oslo fylke Norway on Monday, October 05, 2020
I've decided against reading this book. I have acquired a distaste for Pullman after recent events and no longer wish to read his work. So this book will be traveling soon.

Released 4 mos ago (10/8/2020 UTC) at Solli plass phone booth library in Oslo Sentrum, Oslo fylke Norway

On a shelf in the phone booth 😊