A Charmed Death (Bewitching Mystery, Book 2)

by Madelyn Alt | Science Fiction & Fantasy |
ISBN: 042521317x Global Overview for this book
Registered by djstephaniebell of Avila Beach, California USA on 3/31/2008
Journal Entry 1 by djstephaniebell from Avila Beach, California USA on Monday, March 31, 2008
My bookcrossing friend princess_peapod handed this off to me without registering it, so I'm going to register it for her and pass it along after I read it.

Journal Entry 2 by wingjlautnerwing from Henderson, Nevada USA on Tuesday, April 15, 2008
SHame on you, princess pea-pod.

Taken from meeting with fellow bookcrossers.

Journal Entry 3 by wingjlautnerwing from Henderson, Nevada USA on Tuesday, June 09, 2009
I don’t know why I started this book. Perhaps because I chose it, and so felt obligated to read it. I rarely send books on their ways without reading them first. In the future, though, I’ll be sure to watch out for this Madelyn Alt and pass on the reading.

I’m just not a fan of the lightweight mysteries. Every now and then one is mildly entertaining or even reasonably enjoyable, but most of the time I find them irritating. This one is no exception. The fact that the main character is a beginner witch, learning to use her powers, makes it all the more annoying (to me). But to get to it:

Maggie O’Neill has just taken a job that she loves. She works at Enchantments, an herbal-magic (I should say “Magick”, I suppose) store, where she is the protege of older mentor Felicity Dow. Maggie, because she is new to the magick game, gets to encounter the different activities, rituals, potions in a cutesy, breathy, self-deprecating kind of way, dazzled by the powers of others while she downplays her own.

Maggie witnesses an altercation between the town teen “princess” and another customer in the shop, and soon after, the princess turns up dead. More by accident than design, Maggie finds herself with several clues to the murderer’s identity, and somewhere around the last quarter of the book she actively begins some sort of investigation. In the process of withholding this evidence, she brings on the overwrought wrath of the main police investigator, Tom, a man she has been attracted to for some time.

Maggie spends many moments bemoaning her man-less situation, both to herself and to others, one of the points of irritation to me. She is assisted in her investigations by another man she finds attractive but who appears to be involved with Felicity, so she does not consider him fair game.

Neither Maggie nor Felicity nor anyone else within hearing distance offers anything interesting to the reader. The characters are not particularly intelligent, do not have anything interesting to say, are not funny, are certainly not good investigators. The plot also has some odd and not believable elements (beyond the hocus-pocus). One, for instance, is the blog Maggie learns about. This blog is accessible only with several passwords, and somehow it is hosted on the site of the town’s retail shopping website, but the webmaster doesn’t know how it got there and doesn’t know how to get rid of it. File manager, host. Use it. All of the complications with this blog, particularly this hosting business, is so unnecessary and silly and technically meaningless.

I did like that Felicity rejected the major religions and pointed out that current religious rituals all have a basis in previous pagan rituals. Yet Maggie, on the fence (for fear of offending readers, I suspect), tilts toward Catholicism. Boring boring boring, that Maggie.

Journal Entry 4 by wingjlautnerwing at Honeymoon Cafe SLO in San Luis Obispo, California USA on Thursday, June 11, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (6/11/2009 UTC) at Honeymoon Cafe SLO in San Luis Obispo, California USA

In the bookshelf inside.

Journal Entry 5 by UKG-771737 on Sunday, June 28, 2009
I picked up this book on Friday, already finished it. Very loosely written - should have stopped reading, but stubbornly I just couldn't until I was done. Don't think I'll be reading any more from this author.

Journal Entry 6 by UKG-771737 at Honeymoon Cafe SLO in San Luis Obispo, California USA on Saturday, November 21, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (11/22/2009 UTC) at Honeymoon Cafe SLO in San Luis Obispo, California USA

out in the wild