corner corner The Child That Books Built

The Child That Books Built
by Francis Spufford | Other
Registered by wingAnnimanniwing of Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on 3/31/2008

status (set by VeganMedusa): travelling

Journal Entry 1 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, March 31, 2008

From the sleeve:
"What would you find if you went back and re-read your favourite books from childhood? In this beautifully written memoir, Francis Spufford discovers both delight and sadness."

Can't wait to start reading this!

Journal Entry 2 by wingAnnimanniwing at Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, September 27, 2013

Reserved for kirjakko.

ETA 11 Oct 2013:
Hahaha, kirjakko's second journal entry sums up my thoughts perfectly ;)

Journal Entry 3 by kirjakko at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, September 29, 2013

Thanks for tagging me with this, Annimanni! You haven't written your opinion about it, I hope it doesn't mean you didn't like it.

Journal Entry 4 by kirjakko at Sipoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, October 11, 2013

Oh dear, the child grew up to become a boring, snobbish adult.
I stopped reading in Forest. If somebody writes about fairy-tale forests: "If the forest is where we go when we lose the framework which gave structure to our past life, we can go there at any age" he is going to lose a reader. And he did.

Journal Entry 5 by kirjakko at Invercargill, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- New Zealand on Saturday, December 28, 2013

Released 4 yrs ago (12/30/2013 UTC) at Invercargill, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- New Zealand

Off as a trade to VeganMedusa. She has been warned that The Child is a snob.

Funnily enough I came across the same picture on a book cover; the other book was a birthday book in honour of Heikki Reenpää, one of the owners of the Otava Publishing House. Have to investigate closer - what is the pic originally??

Journal Entry 6 by VeganMedusa at Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on Monday, January 06, 2014

Thanks, kirjakko! And thank you for the warning. I won't expect much from the book, so maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised? It's worth a try!

Journal Entry 7 by VeganMedusa at Library Cancelled Bookshelves in Invercargill, Southland New Zealand on Sunday, July 22, 2018

Released 3 mos ago (7/22/2018 UTC) at Library Cancelled Bookshelves in Invercargill, Southland New Zealand

I actually enjoyed this book - yay for low expectations! - although it was definitely dull and pretentious at times. But there was enough in it to keep me wading through the dullness, and I enjoyed the last two chapters (The Town, and The Hole) the most.
Now releasing it to the library's cancelled bookshelves, so another reader can enjoy it (or not).