To Kill a Mockingbird

ISBN: 0099419785 Global Overview for this book
Registered by rem_BSM-942247 on 3/31/2008
Journal Entry 1 by rem_BSM-942247 on Monday, March 31, 2008
Synopsis
'Shoot all the Bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a Mockingbird.' A lawyer's advice to his children as he defends the real mockingbird of Harper Lee's classic novel - a black man charged with the rape of a white girl. Through the young eyes of Scout and Jem Finch, Harper Lee explores with exuberant humour the irrationality of adult attitudes to race and class in the Deep South of the thirties. The conscience of a town steeped in prejudice, violence and hypocrisy is pricked by the stamina of one man's struggle for justice. But the weight of history will only tolerate so much...

Journal Entry 2 by rem_BSM-942247 on Tuesday, April 29, 2008
Being sent off on a ring -

turnpages (UK)
verolyon (France)
LaPitchoune (Finland)
Mary-T (Germany)
afraberg (Holland)
tagesmann (UK)
Tubereader (UK)

Journal Entry 3 by rem_BSM-942247 on Thursday, May 01, 2008
Sending this book off to turnpages in the UK.

And so the ring begins...

Journal Entry 4 by turnpages from Faversham, Kent United Kingdom on Tuesday, May 06, 2008
Thank you very much for sending the book. It arrived safely today!

Journal Entry 5 by turnpages from Faversham, Kent United Kingdom on Sunday, May 18, 2008
Although the novel is a classic and won the Pulitzer Prize, I must admit I found it very hard going. The story itself is interesting in that it deals with the American South in times, where black and white people do not mix although they live with each other. Also, the perceptions of Scout and Jem and their friend Dill are very endearing. However, the story was rather slow and when important events happen they are told in such a curt manner, that I found it hard to pick up what happened. This book taught me to agree with Mark Twain who said "A classic is a book, which people praise and don't read"!

I have already contacted verolyon so the book will be on its travels soon...

On its way to France!

Journal Entry 7 by verolyon from Poissy, Ile-de-France France on Tuesday, June 03, 2008
It has arrived safely and landed on my mount TBR ! Thank you mirp and turnpages.

Journal Entry 8 by verolyon from Poissy, Ile-de-France France on Thursday, July 17, 2008
First of all, I apologize for keeping this book for so long. I have had (and still have!) a huge mtTBR !

I just loved this book ! In this respect, I kindly disagree with Mark Twain and turnpages. I found the author made it quite easy for the reader to jump into the Alabama of the 1930s. Also, I really enjoyed the fact that Scout was the narrator of the story. For sure, events that we do find important are drowned in everyday events (important for a child), but as the story teaches, it sometimes helps to see the world through a child's eyes.

I'm PMing LaPitchoune immediatly and will send the book as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 9 by verolyon at Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Friday, July 25, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (7/25/2008 UTC) at Vantaa, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland

Off to Finland today !

Journal Entry 10 by LaPitchoune from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, August 04, 2008
This arrived today. Thanks!

EDIT September 3
I finished the book last night. It took me nearly a month to read this, sorry! The first half went really fast, because I found the perspective really interesting: children's voices speaking in southern-style slang. The sub-plot about Boo Radley was very interesting, almost even more so than the actual trial part. By contrast, the second part was really hard to go through. It seemed as if everything I liked about the first part was suddenly gone. Maybe the transition had a symbolic meaning: the children (especially Jem) were growing older? Anyways, I'm not quite sure I understood the deepest meaning - or the essence of the book. I probably should have focused more on the second part, but unfortunately I had lost some of my interest by then.

There were some sharp points made about human nature, such as

folks don't like somebody around knowin' more than they do. It aggravates 'em. You're not gonna change any of them by talkin' right, they've got to want to learn themselves, and when they don't want to learn there's nothing you can do but keep your mouth shut or talk their language.

I sent a PM to Mary-T today, inquiring her address, and once I have it, the book will continue its journey.

EDIT September 4: I'm skipping Mary-T at her own request. She said she was too busy with other books so I'm sending this to the next reader in line. Holland it shall be. Bon voyage!

Thanks for the ring!

Journal Entry 11 by afraberg from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Tuesday, September 09, 2008
Arrived in my mailbox today.
Thanks for sending LaPitchoune!

Journal Entry 12 by afraberg from Amsterdam, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Wednesday, September 17, 2008
Great book! Thanks for sharing mirp!

I've put the book on the mail to tagesmaan today.

Journal Entry 13 by tagesmann on Friday, September 19, 2008
Arrived today...

Journal Entry 14 by tagesmann on Monday, November 03, 2008
Posted to Tubereader.

Journal Entry 15 by Tubereader from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, November 13, 2008
The book arrived safely. Thanks tagesmann for posting and mirp for sharing!

I have quite a few rings / rays ahead of it. I will try to pick it up as soon as I can, but I'm afraid it might take a bit longer than a month for me to read it. I will update the JE when I start reading the book (and keep mirp updated on the status).

Journal Entry 16 by Tubereader from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Thursday, January 01, 2009
Just a quick update to let everybody know that I have started reading this book today (my 1st read of 2009!)

2ND JAN UPDATE: I have read half of this book. Will post a new JE with my review when I finish it.

Journal Entry 17 by Tubereader from Madrid, Madrid Spain on Monday, January 05, 2009
I very much enjoyed reading this book. Both the story that is the center of the book and the sub-stories really caught me in reading he book. The fact that Scout, a child, was the narrator, made it even more interesting. Of course, there are some places where Scout sounds older than she is, but, on the other hand, children can often surprise us with their thinking.

I think this is the book from the 1001 list that I have most enjoyed reading so far. So thank you, mirp for sharing it!

Journal Entry 18 by Tubereader at Bruxelles / Brussel, Bruxelles / Brussel Belgium on Sunday, May 22, 2011
This book is now reserved for soffitta1's 1001-books / 1001-library EU-VBB, therefore, if you are interested in reading it, please join the VBB first (http://www.bookcrossing.com/forum/20/457583)

Journal Entry 19 by 1001-library at Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, May 23, 2011

Thanks so much for your donation Tubereader!

This book is now part of the 1001-library. If you want to take this book from the library but don't know how to proceed, please refer to the 1001-library bookshelf.