The Book of Lost Things

by John Connolly | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by mance of Newcastle Emlyn, Wales United Kingdom on 3/30/2008
Journal Entry 1 by mance from Newcastle Emlyn, Wales United Kingdom on Sunday, March 30, 2008
A dark, yet compelling read that reworks a number of fairy tales into a young boys experience of loss of his mother. Loved it.

Now a Book Ring.

Members of the ring - Book now sent.

Shimmy-crazy UK
Seethroughfaith Finland - EU (Only)
Samulli - Germany
Lydoula - Greece
Mikime - Italy
Klaradyn - South Africa
Wandering-B - Hong Kong
Knikkki - US (only)
Carelasia - Canada/US (only)
Princess-Peapod - US (only)
Krin511 - US
JohnBee - UK
LittleSuz - UK/EU (only)
Back to Mance - UK

Usual suggestions:
0- wait for the previous person to ask for your address...when they do, reply!...then wait for the book to get to you....patiently wait.... finally:
1- write a journal entry when you receive it!
2- take your time to read it, but don't forget it on your shelf. Please let me know if you have problems and it's taking you longer than expected (longer than 2 months...).
3- ask for next person's address when you're about to finish it.
4- make another journal entry. (NO release notes please!) when you've finished and are ready to send it, with your comments and ideas.

Journal Entry 2 by Shimmy-crazy from Finchley, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 9, 2008
Arrived yesterday can't wait to read it

Journal Entry 3 by Shimmy-crazy from Finchley, Greater London United Kingdom on Wednesday, May 7, 2008
Loved it, full of dark fairy tales.

Sent to Seethroughfaith yesterday (6th may)

Journal Entry 4 by seethroughfaith from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Thursday, May 15, 2008
Now I have got into this book - I can't put it down. It's not at all what I expected - but I am loving it.

A quote to share ... along the way ... He had quite liked the dwarfs. He often had not idea what they were talking about, but for a group of homicidal, class-obsessed small people, they were really good fun (p 144) -made me laugh anyway

and I was so sad on reading about the flowers with no name (p 102)

Will contact Samuli for his address as I think I'll finish this soon -it is hard to put down, you know :)

Journal Entry 5 by seethroughfaith from Turku, Varsinais-Suomi / Egentliga Finland Finland on Monday, May 19, 2008
What a disappointment. The book started winding down around page 280 - but as it's a 500+ page book I thought there must be a very interesting twist at the end. But no. The book stops on page 348! Then there are 150 pages of interview with the author John Connolly. They were interesting (I flicked though it and read what caught my eye) but I really hate it when they do this with books.

so be warned - this 500+ page novel - is actually only 350 pages long!

That said this book was really very interesting.

Journal Entry 6 by samulli from Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Sunday, May 25, 2008
I'm so sorry, I forgot to journal the book right away when it arrived (which was a couple of days ago). Thanks for sending it on, seethroughfaith.
I have already started reading it, so it shouldn't be long before it can travel on.

Journal Entry 7 by samulli from Weimar, Thüringen Germany on Sunday, June 1, 2008
Finally managed to finish reading the long appendix yesterday.
I, too, was a little dismayed to find that the actual story ended 2/3 through, but I enjoyed reading the actual fairy tales that were part of the story. I grew up with Grimm's fairy tales, but haven't read them in 20 years, so it was nice to get reaquainted again. :)
The story of David and his adventures was great as well, but I always had the nagging thought in the back of my head that I had read a story very much like that before somewhere - can't for the life of me think of the name of that other book, though.
The only thing that made me a bit uneasy was the portrayal of the knight Roland (inspired by Browning's poem), because for me that Roland is inextricably linked with the Roland in Stephen King's Dark Tower books. And, as much as I like gay men in general, the portrayal of Roland - my gunslinger Roland! - in this book is just plain wrong on so many levels...
But apart from that I quite enjoyed this book and will seek out others by this author. Thanks for letting me join this ring, mance. I already have Lydoula's address and will get the book moving tomorrow.

Journal Entry 8 by lydoula from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Tuesday, June 24, 2008
It arrived yesterday!!!I can't wait to read it..

Journal Entry 9 by lydoula from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Tuesday, July 15, 2008
I've finished the book and I'll send it to mikime tomorrow.I liked all the fairy tales asa dark as they were.I became a kid again and reminded me my old fears especially when David was craling under the bed to hide from what was chasing him.I made the opposite..I was too afraid to look under the bed in the dark...

Journal Entry 10 by mikime from Roma, Lazio Italy on Wednesday, July 23, 2008
This has just arrived today. Thanks for sending it! I had almot forgotten about this ring, so I was surprised at hearing it was coming to me, and I'm doubly curious about reading it! :)

Miki

Journal Entry 11 by mikime from Roma, Lazio Italy on Tuesday, August 5, 2008
I finished it and yesterday I sent it on to Klaradyn. I liked it, though in some parts the re-telling and re-interpretation of fairy tales became a bit boring for me. The beginning was absolutely great in catching the child's confusion and pain, and the part where the crooked man's plans are discovered is brilliant. It is mostly an intriguing story, where you never know what might come up nexy. Like in all the wildest dreams! I was even brave enough to read the fianl appendix part, fairy tales included, though I guess that could rightly be skipped. Thanks so much for letting me read it ! IT was my first book by Connolly and I'm curious about other ones, now!

Journal Entry 12 by klaradyn from Praha, Praha Czech Republic on Monday, August 11, 2008
Arrived today. Thanks for starting the bookring, mance, and for sending on, mikime. I look forward to reading it.

Journal Entry 13 by klaradyn from Praha, Praha Czech Republic on Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Interesting twists on some well-known fairy tales – especially the seven Communist dwarves/comrades! Overall I enjoyed it, but like samulli I couldn't help feeling that parts were similar to something I had read before. The appendix was useful to remind me of some details of the fairy tales referred to in the book.

Thanks for starting this bookring, mance!

Journal Entry 14 by klaradyn at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Released 13 yrs ago (8/27/2008 UTC) at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa

Will be sending off to Hong Kong later today.

My book # 53 for guinaveve's Keep Them Moving challenge.

Edited to add: Had to use surface mail, so it will take a couple of months to reach Wandering-B. Sorry about that!

Journal Entry 15 by wandering-B from Tai Po, Tai Po Hong Kong on Wednesday, November 5, 2008
Received today. Thanks mance for sending it out and klaradyn for sending it to me. Have two others in front of it but will try to move it along quickly.

Journal Entry 16 by wandering-B from Tai Po, Tai Po Hong Kong on Wednesday, November 19, 2008
Found this a little slow in the beginning and wearing to read as it has such an undertone of desperation. Enjoyed it anyway as well as the history behind the well-known fairy tales.

Sending along to Knikkki tomorrow.

Journal Entry 17 by Knikkki from Davis, California USA on Wednesday, November 26, 2008
Arrived safe and sound in Davis, CA. I'm excited! It got here so fast!

Journal Entry 18 by Knikkki at Davis, California USA on Saturday, November 29, 2008

Released 12 yrs ago (11/29/2008 UTC) at Davis, California USA

I really enjoyed the book. Reminded me of Pan's Labyrinth and The Wizard of Oz. The Snow White part was my favorite ... seemed familiar to me as well, maybe Maguire had done something similar with the dwarves in Mirror, Mirror. I really don't remember.

It's on it's way south, mailed today.

Journal Entry 19 by princess-peapod from San Luis Obispo, California USA on Monday, December 1, 2008
I am looking forward to the read!

Journal Entry 20 by princess-peapod from San Luis Obispo, California USA on Thursday, December 11, 2008
I really enjoyed this book, a dark adult type fairy tale. will be posting this book off this week as soon as I have the money...agghh job woes.
This went out in the mail via media mail on 12-15-08
happy travels little book!

Journal Entry 21 by krin511 from Olney, Maryland USA on Wednesday, December 24, 2008
Arrived yesterday. I look forward to reading it soon.

Journal Entry 22 by krin511 from Olney, Maryland USA on Monday, January 12, 2009
This was a great book about love and loss and facing one's fears. I liked the way David's wishes and fears influenced the kingdom as well as the interesting twists on the familiar fairy tales, myths and nursery stories. I especially liked the extensive section after the main story in which the author describes the origins of these stories, recommends some variations by other authors and then provides the original story.

Journal Entry 23 by krin511 at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, January 12, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (1/12/2009 UTC) at To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Mailed to ladybug74!

Journal Entry 24 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Thursday, January 15, 2009
I received this book in today's mail. The package was completely torn open on one side. Fortunately, the book was not lost or damaged. I am getting near the end of another bookring book, then will start this one very soon. Thank you mance for sharing it with us. Thanks also to krin511 for sending it on to me.

Journal Entry 25 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Sunday, January 18, 2009
I enjoyed this book, though it did seem almost as if I was reading a children's book at times. Just when I thought that my young daughter might also like this one, I would come across something such as the sexual undertones in the Little Red Riding Hood story and quickly change my mind. I was surprised to find around 150 pages of author's notes at the end - the most that I've ever seen in one book. I skimmed over those, but did not actually read them all.

I have already sent a PM for msmoyra's address, but have not yet received a reply. It's ready to go in the mail as soon as I get an address.

Journal Entry 26 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Monday, January 19, 2009
msmoyra has replied to me that she would like to be skipped at this time. I have sent a PM to Tiatia and will get this book in the mail as soon as I get an address to mail it to.

Journal Entry 27 by ladybug74 at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Monday, January 19, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (1/20/2009 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

This book will be going out in tomorrow morning's mail to tiatia. Hope you enjoy it!

Journal Entry 28 by tiatia from Fredericksburg, Virginia USA on Saturday, January 31, 2009
just got in the post. have got some consulying projects to finish. then, fun for me lost in pages of reading

Journal Entry 29 by tiatia from Fredericksburg, Virginia USA on Wednesday, February 25, 2009
One of the more interesting reads in awhile. I really enjoyed the story and the commentary at the end was an extra bonus. Thank you for sharing. Off to Rink Esq once I get an addy.

Journal Entry 30 by TinkEsq from Akron, Ohio USA on Thursday, March 12, 2009
Received and reading!

3.28.09 - This wasn't what I was expecting, which was a pleasant surprise. I really enjoyed how the author reworked so many well-known fairy tales into his plot.

4.2.09 - Mailed to LyekkaMarengo.

Journal Entry 31 by LyekkaMarengo from Warriors Mark, Pennsylvania USA on Wednesday, April 8, 2009
Arrived safe and sound in Central PA. I'm about half-way through my current book, so should be able to start this soon.

Journal Entry 32 by LyekkaMarengo from Warriors Mark, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, October 2, 2009
Thought I had passed this one on long ago, but after a PM from mance found that I hadn't. I really liked this one, but I read it sort of backwards. I went to the appendix and re-read all the fairy stories first so I would recognize them in the book since it's been so long since I heard them. Afraid I don't remember a lot of specifics about the book but I remember that I thought I would read more of this author, which is usually a good sign that I like it.

I PM'd JohnBee last Friday but haven't heard from him. I'll give him until Monday and then move on to the next on the list.

Journal Entry 33 by LyekkaMarengo from Warriors Mark, Pennsylvania USA on Monday, October 5, 2009
No reply from JohnBee. PM'd the next one in line.

Journal Entry 34 by LyekkaMarengo from Warriors Mark, Pennsylvania USA on Friday, October 30, 2009
Got this the mail today to LittleSuz.

Journal Entry 35 by wingLittleSuzwing from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, November 7, 2009
Arrived yesterday. Thank you very much. I'll read this soon.

Journal Entry 36 by wingLittleSuzwing from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Thursday, November 12, 2009
Very Pan's Labyrinth-esq, this was a dark take on a child's imagination. I enjoyed it. I like the way the fairy tales got mixed up with history, politics, poetry, and David's own fears to create a new world. Like others, the dwarves were my favourite bit.

I personally didn't mind the story ending so early, but was glad to be pre-warned, so thanks guys:-) At first I was skeptical about the value of having all the explanatory stuff there at the end, but ended up finding it very interesting. There were some stories there that I didn't know - including The Three Billy Goats Gruff - which turned out to be the naffest fairy tale ever! (At least I think so...)

I've PMed Mance to get the book on its way back to Wales.