Wide Sargasso Sea (Penguin Modern Classics)

by Jean Rhys | Literature & Fiction | This book has not been rated.
Registered by wingDeepswampwing of Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on 8/9/2008
Journal Entry 1 by wingDeepswampwing from Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Saturday, August 09, 2008

Journal Entry 2 by wingDeepswampwing at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden on Monday, June 16, 2014

Released 5 yrs ago (6/16/2014 UTC) at Oskarshamn, Småland Sweden

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 3 by wingAndrasthewing at Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria on Friday, June 20, 2014
A story set in Jamaica - cool! thank you very much for sending this one. I'm looking forward to reading it, at thanks for the goodies :)

Journal Entry 4 by wingAndrasthewing at Klagenfurt, Kärnten Austria on Monday, August 18, 2014
The idea behind this narrative was to create a kind of prequel to Jane Eyre’s madwoman in the attic. The author tries to provide a background story for this renowned literary character and designed a story about the decline of her female protagonist in its own right. I haven’t read anything else by Rhys, so I cannot compare it to her other writings – as people seem to do with Wide Sargasso Sea. I do however appreciate the different themes appearing in this book. Reading it let’s you follow some of the heroine’s downward path, let’s you feel the conflicts based on old values, gender, race and religion. Still, Antoinette is not overly tangible as a character. Her logic and actions often evade the reader and I often found myself frustrated with her – similarly to the characters around her. I enjoyed the language and the different facets of the narration – but whether I truly liked this one, I cannot say.

Journal Entry 5 by bookguide at Wijchen, Gelderland Netherlands on Thursday, August 28, 2014
Thank you for sending me this wishlist book, Andrasthe. A 1001 book and set in Jamaica so great for the 666 challenge too, plus a prequel to one of my favourite novels. Sounds like a winner!

Journal Entry 6 by bookguide at BC meeting 2018 in Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands on Sunday, July 08, 2018

Released 1 yr ago (7/8/2018 UTC) at BC meeting 2018 in Castricum, Noord-Holland Netherlands

This book has been released as part of the following BookCrossing challenges:
- The Ultimate Challenge - read and release books, with extra points for a monthly theme
- Reduce Mount TBR (To Be Read) - read and release books on the TBR list since before the end of 2014. My reading goal is 36 books.
- 1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die Challenge. 2018 goal: 12.

Journal Entry 7 by wingiiwiwing at Zeist, Utrecht Netherlands on Sunday, July 08, 2018
This book is on the literature list for 1st year literature students, so I sold like a hundred copies of it in the bookstore, but never read it. It sounds like it could be right up my alley.

Journal Entry 8 by wingiiwiwing at Zeist, Utrecht Netherlands on Tuesday, October 02, 2018
In the end I really fell in love with this book. In the beginning I had a hard time with it; everybody is so conscious, self conscious and class conscious, about everyone. Every encounter is a dance around each other, What are you? White? English? Creole? Free or freed? As Rocheser thinks; Long, sad dark alien eyes. Creole or pure English descent she may be, but they are not English or European either.
Parts of the novel I read as a kind of feverish dream, set about when an European comes to the tropical forest, so out of place, so not in charge as he normally is. So near the forest. Don't you know that this is a dangerous place? And the dark forest always wins? Always. If you don't, you soon will, and I can do nothing to help you. As Rochester says: I all ready had a fever. You wonder who is actually getting mad, Antoinette or Rochester.
The last part of the story links the book to Jane Eyre.

Journal Entry 9 by wingiiwiwing at Zeist, Utrecht Netherlands on Thursday, October 04, 2018
This book will travel to:

Bookworm-lady
sedna5213
Jotka
mcsar

Journal Entry 10 by wingBookworm-ladywing at Madrid, Madrid Spain on Tuesday, October 16, 2018
And here it is!
Looking forward to re-reading it; thanks for sharing, iiwi, and for the lovely bookmarks... the Venice one is really beautiful! :)