World''s End

by T.Coraghessan Boyle | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Nell-Lu of Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on 3/28/2008
Journal Entry 1 by Nell-Lu from Edinburgh, Scotland United Kingdom on Friday, March 28, 2008
I've bought this to continue spy-there's bookring, as the original copy got lost in the post somewhere between here and The Netherlands. I'll send it out to Marsala this afternoon and keep my fingers crossed that it arrives!

Journal Entry 2 by spy-there from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Sunday, March 30, 2008
Ok now, Nell-Lu made a new registration instead of using the old BCID ... thus I should probably insert the old list into the new journal. Send a PM if you wish to enroll.

Bookring:
- thy, Finland
- kizmiaz, Lisboa
- tagesmann, U.K.
- Tubereader, Luxembourg
- samulli, Weimar asked to be skipped
- rotewoelfin, Heilbronn
- Ythan, Ellon U.K.
- WigglyWoods, U.K.
- butterfly-noir, Lisboa
- MarcThomas, Paris
- UlrikeW, Leipzig
- spy-there, Zürich

I'd say it was worth to re-register - for its much better design of the cover. Thanks a lot for the fast finding of this book, Nell-Lu!

Since nobody seems to bother with rating ... flings some stars
=^;^=

Journal Entry 3 by marsala from - Ergens in de provincie, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Friday, April 4, 2008
Arrived safely in the mail today!

I'll start reading it as soon as possible.

Thanks Nell-Lu for this new copy of the lost bookring :)

Journal Entry 4 by marsala from - Ergens in de provincie, Noord-Brabant Netherlands on Wednesday, April 23, 2008
A very nice read. The book is very well written. I loved to read how people can have similiar problems over totally different situations and times.

I'll send thy a pm to see if she can receive the book.

Edit April 29: In the mail to thy.

Journal Entry 5 by thy from Nurmijärvi, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, May 5, 2008
Arrived today, thanks Marsala, spy-there and especially Nell-Lu for getting the new copy!
No other bookrings waiting so I'll start reading this one next.

Journal Entry 6 by thy from Nurmijärvi, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, May 26, 2008
I enjoyed the story when I finally got into it. Writing was great, but first I found it difficult to follow the different storylines.
The book reminded me of another family history with ghosts, Tim Winton's Cloudstreet

Mailed to kizmiaz today

Journal Entry 7 by kizmiaz from Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Wednesday, May 28, 2008
Just got it, I still have a couple to finish before starting this one but it won't take too long.

Journal Entry 8 by kizmiaz from Belém , Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Monday, June 23, 2008
This is one of the best books I’ve read by Boyle (right up there with Drop City and The Tortilla Curtain), an epic, with an amazingly well crafted plot and brilliant characters.
The curse of the Van Brunts is told in such a nice pace and gripping details that it could have been a book all by itself, if you add to this the power hungry Van Wart, the Kitchwanks, the Cranes and Jeremy (in its various incarnations) you have a huge cast of characters and the makings of a perfect book.
The historical background is so rich and well researched that you actually feel that you’re a Dutch in the 1600’s or living in redneck country in the 1940’s or getting a whiff of liberty in the 1960’s, for every age portrayed the author went and got those little details that make you slip into the story and the mindset of the characters in such an easy way, it really surprised me, and I’m a Boyle fan (after reading this book so will you).
The way Boyle goes about telling this epic saga is so good that in the end I just wished it could go on for another 100 pages or so, the humour, the drama, the outright tragedy and the treachery are so deep rooted that when the novel starts unravelling it just hits you like wave after giant wave until you’re drowned in the whole sorry affair. A lot of the situations here are very familiar to all of us but in different contexts, racism, narrow mindedness, power greed, treason and sticking up for what you believe in, they are all presented entwined in such a way that sometimes one can’t exist without the other, as weird as that may seem.
I loved that the author didn’t set out to be a moral judge of the actions of his characters and made them all the more human for that.
This is truly a brilliant novel.
I'll be sending it on when I get an address.

Journal Entry 9 by tagesmann on Wednesday, July 9, 2008
Arrived safely this morning...

Journal Entry 10 by tagesmann on Monday, September 1, 2008
This is the second book I've read by TC Boyle. The other being A Friend of the Earth. This is nearly as good. It is a very good history of America told, of course, from a narrow perspective. It brillaintly describes the exploitation of the natives, the poor tenants (serfs really) and the way that the rich and powerful have always run the country.
Thanks for the ring.

Journal Entry 11 by tagesmann on Wednesday, September 3, 2008
Posted to Tubereader today.

Journal Entry 12 by Tubereader from Lenningen / Lenneng, Kanton Remich Luxembourg on Tuesday, September 30, 2008
Sorry, with the move, I forgot to "catch" this book. I received it safely before moving to Luxembourg. It is now on my TBR pile, I have 3 books ahead of it, but hopefully will get to it soon. I will update this JE when I start reading it.

Thanks to spy-there for organising and tagesmann for sending!

Journal Entry 13 by Tubereader from Lenningen / Lenneng, Kanton Remich Luxembourg on Friday, October 10, 2008
Just a quick note to let everybody know that I have started reading this book today. It's a bit long so I think that it may take me around a week to finish it.

I will update this JE and PM the next person in line once I have read half of it.

Journal Entry 14 by Tubereader from Lenningen / Lenneng, Kanton Remich Luxembourg on Monday, November 10, 2008
I cannot believe that I have already been reading this book for a month! Anyway, I just wanted to update everyone and let you know that this weekend I have made quite good progress in reading this book so I am now more than half way through it. I have PMed samulli, who is next in line, for their address and will post the book as soon as I am done reading it.

Thanks!

Journal Entry 15 by Tubereader from Lenningen / Lenneng, Kanton Remich Luxembourg on Monday, November 17, 2008
I've finally finished reading this book. It was the first one I read by TC Boyle and I have enjoyed it a lot. Unfortunately, it took me very long to get into it (the continuous changing of timing at the beginning, with people being called similar names, did not help, despite the "cast" pages at the beginning).

It covers a part of American history that I was not familiar with, therefore I have found it very informational on top of being enjoyable. I very much agree with most of what kizmiaz writes in their review.

Thanks again spy-there for sharing and for your patience regarding me keeping the book, very much appreciated.

I have rotewoelfin's address and will post the book as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 16 by Tubereader at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, November 27, 2008

Released 13 yrs ago (11/26/2008 UTC) at By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

The book was posted to rotewoelfin yesterday, sorry for all the delays.

Happy reading!

Journal Entry 17 by rotewoelfin from Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Monday, December 1, 2008
Picked it up today :)

Journal Entry 18 by rotewoelfin from Stuttgart, Baden-Württemberg Germany on Saturday, January 10, 2009
I finished the book this morning - in the end the reading took me longer than expected - but this had nothing to do with the book itself but with the lack of time for reading :)

I liked the book, especially the parts which played in the "New World". I also had some trouble with the names of the persons because they are very equal in each of the times. The one I didn't like very much was the character of Walter - but in the end it is him which helps the story going over the different times.

I have already the next address and will ship the book on Monday :)

Released 13 yrs ago (1/12/2009 UTC) at -- Per Post geschickt/ Persönlich weitergegeben --, Baden-Württemberg Germany

Going to start it's travel towards UK within a few minuts with our internal postman :)

Journal Entry 20 by Ythan from Ellon, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, January 19, 2009
This book arrived today :) Will probably be March by the time i'm finished with this as I have a few bookrings/rays ahead of this one. Will try to be as quick as i can.

Thanks for sharing :)

Journal Entry 21 by Ythan from Ellon, Scotland United Kingdom on Monday, March 2, 2009
Have just started reading this, i'm way behind with all my bookring/rays. Am going to try and speed up the process by reading two at once. Should be finished by the end of March.

Update 1st April:

I'm doing my best but reading two books (967 pages)at once isn't easy, reading them both in one month was just a bit too ambitious for me. I'm currently just over 50% of the way through this book but once you get over half way the book always seems to read quicker, usually. My next aim is to finish this on 15th April. I'll do my best.

Update 17th April:

90% complete, should have it posted next week :)

Journal Entry 22 by Ythan from Ellon, Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, April 19, 2009
Woohoo finally finished. Yes, i did enjoy it, when i got into it and the ending was most unexpected. It was hard work with the massive amount of characters, different centuries and the repetition of the same scenes from different characters' point of view. I will be reading another book from this author, as it is on the 1001 list but I doubt I would pick one up that is not on the list, time will tell.

Journal Entry 23 by Ythan at --By Post or by Hand ✋ , Scotland United Kingdom on Sunday, April 19, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (4/20/2009 UTC) at --By Post or by Hand ✋ , Scotland United Kingdom

Posting to the next reader, WigglyWoods :)

Journal Entry 24 by WigglyWoods from Chorley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Sunday, April 26, 2009
Received safe and sound, many thanks.

Journal Entry 25 by WigglyWoods from Chorley, Lancashire United Kingdom on Monday, June 8, 2009
I pm'd butterfly-noir for an address last week but haven't had a reply so I'll try the next person on the list.

Released 12 yrs ago (6/19/2009 UTC) at -- Controlled Release, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- United Kingdom

I found this a bit hard to get into but am glad of the opportunity to read it, many thanks. Posting on today.

Journal Entry 27 by butterfly-noir from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Wednesday, July 1, 2009
its whit me.
wil try to be fast
thanks for sharing

Journal Entry 28 by butterfly-noir from Lisboa - City, Lisboa (cidade) Portugal on Saturday, September 26, 2009
I've realised I kept this book for a long time. After 2 attempts on reading it I think its better to give up and move the ray along. I just cant focus past page 10-ish. my mind starts to drift off the story.

I'm contacting the next bookcrosser to send it soon

Journal Entry 29 by MarcThomas from Paris, Ile-de-France France on Tuesday, October 6, 2009
Got it in today's mail. Thanks spy-there for sharing and thanks butterfly-noir for sending it from Portugal. I've got one or two ring books to read beforehand but I'll get on with this one as soon as possible.

Journal Entry 30 by MarcThomas from Paris, Ile-de-France France on Monday, November 9, 2009
Started reading this morning.

Journal Entry 31 by MarcThomas from Paris, Ile-de-France France on Friday, November 27, 2009
I finished the book yesterday (at last!). I didn't like the book at all. Too long, too complicated, the stories are all mixed-up, everybody is called the same, it was really hard to reach the end. I still rated it 3 out of 10 because the last 50 pages started to make sense to me but oh what a bore reading this. It was the second T.C. Boyle's book I read and it will probably be the last. Phew.

Pming UlrikeW so the ring goes on.

Journal Entry 32 by MarcThomas at on Monday, November 30, 2009

Released 12 yrs ago (11/30/2009 UTC) at

On its way to UlrikeW in Germany.

Enjoy (hopefully more than I did)!

Journal Entry 33 by AdoraBelle86 from Leipzig, Sachsen Germany on Wednesday, December 2, 2009
We'll see ;)

The book arrived today and I've got one other ring to read before it.

07.04.2010
I hadn't realised that I've had the book for so long...

I stopped reading several times because I everytime I thought that I'd gotten into it something gory seemed to happen - then I'd decide to give up on it but start again some time later...

Now it is travelling home to spy-there.

Journal Entry 34 by spy-there from Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Friday, April 9, 2010
World's End is back! Thank you so much for the international mailing, UlkikeW. Too bad you didn't enjoy this novel. But I will :) I've read it in German already.
Thanks again for your quick replacement, Nell-Lu ^__^

Journal Entry 35 by spy-there at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland on Friday, October 26, 2012

Released 9 yrs ago (10/25/2012 UTC) at Zürich, Zürich Switzerland

I discovered that my dentist is an enthusiastic reader and decided to lend him a registered book ... in the hope that he will join the club ;)