Alone on a Wide Wide Sea

by Michael Morpurgo | Children's Books |
Registered by wingCassiopaeiawing of Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on 3/26/2008
Journal Entry 1 by wingCassiopaeiawing from Cardiff, Wales United Kingdom on Wednesday, March 26, 2008
'When orphaned Arthur Hobhouse is shipped to Australia after WW II he loses his sister, his country and everything he knows. The coming years will test him to his limits, as he endures mistreatment, neglect and forced labour in the Australian outback. But Arthur is also saved, again and again, by his love of the sea. And when he meets a nurse whose father owns a boat-building business, all the pieces of his broken life come together. Now, at the end of his life, Arthur has built a special boat for his daughter Allie, whose love of the sea is as strong and as vital as her father's. Now Allie has a boat that will take her to England solo, across the world's roughest seas, in search of her father's long-lost sister! Will the threads of Arthur's life finally come together?'
From Red House.

Recommended for age group 9+

I found it very difficult to put this book down. Although a children’s book it can be equally enjoyed by adults and children. This is not unusual with Michael Morpurgo’s books as he writes in a very upfront, direct way. He tells it like it is. Children love his books because he speaks directly to them in a very clear and unfussy manner. Real events are wonderfully entwined in his stories, he address reality while feeding our imagination as well with the beautiful simplicity of his words.

Alone on the Wide Wide Sea pulls firmly at your heartstrings it lifts you up and throws you down, as you read about Arthur’s life, just like the motion of waves. We encounter many of the people who were important to him in his difficult life and those who brought him happiness as well. Then finally we meet, his brave young daughter, whose goal at this point in her life is to fulfil a dream and a promise. You must read it to find out how it ends.

Find out more about Michael Morpurog and his writing here:
www.michaelmorpurgo.org

Paperback Copy Bookray
Weight:310 gms
Pages:314

Hardback Copy Journal Enteries

Forwarding Ray: others can be added to the list.

Please refer to these guidelines
1 Please journal the book as soon as you receive it, so that the sender knows that it has arrived safely.
2 Only keep the book for a maximum of one month, if you need longer please let Cassiopaeia know.
3 When you have almost finished PM the next person for their mailing address so that you can get the book in the mail as soon as possible.
4 Please write a new journal entry with your comments about the book and a note about to whom and when it is being sent next.

Participants:

hippolein, Helsinki, Finland
Midlifecrisis, St. Austell, England, UK
Smurphie, Banchory, Scotland, UK
rhythmbiscuit, Pueblo, Colorado, US
Megi53, Danville, Virgina, US

Released 11 yrs ago (3/28/2008 UTC) at Royal Mail from Cardiff in Royal Mail, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

On the way to hippolein in Finland to start this bookray.

Journal Entry 3 by winghippoleinwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Wednesday, April 02, 2008
book arrived safely in Helsinki, will do my best to read it soon and get it moving. looking forward to reading it!

Journal Entry 4 by winghippoleinwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, April 07, 2008
A nice peaceful weekend was all it took to read this book. Had moved it ahead in Mount TBR as have another (small) book for the same person.

Have to tell, if this is supposed to be a children's book, it is certainly ok for adults to read it too. Michael Morpurgo knows how to write books that are well thought of and make you think too, the idea of two parts in a very different style made it special too, so would definitely recommend it to other persons!

Now try to get it in an envelop and mail it to Midlifecrisis in the UK.

Journal Entry 5 by Midlifecrisis from St. Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom on Thursday, April 10, 2008
Thank you Hippolein for the three books you forwarded to me today. I confess I am in a bit of a pickle at the moment with rings and rays but will do my best to get on top of things and keep them moving.

Journal Entry 6 by Midlifecrisis from St. Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom on Sunday, April 27, 2008
Well it may be for children, but I love well written children's books, which generally avoid "cleverness" and just get on with the tale. This story is direct, moving, and uses few words to great effect. The result is that the reader (well this one, anyway) was totally swept away by the amazing events of the book, and thus able to think and reflect, without being bogged trying to fathom out complicated constructions. Thank you SO much for introducing me to Michael Morpurgo - I will keep an eye open for other books of his. I will ensure this is on its way to the next person asap.

Journal Entry 7 by smurphie from Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom on Wednesday, April 30, 2008
Arrived yesterday. Now the dilema is do I finish the book I'm reading or start on this one as it looks good. Dilema solved other book not bookcorssing book yet!!! so I will start on this on ASAP.

Journal Entry 8 by smurphie from Banchory, Scotland United Kingdom on Saturday, May 31, 2008
First let me say sorry for how long this has taken me to read. Have been ill twice in the last month but I finally got it finished this morning.

Oh wow what a wonderful book not sure what else to say without spoiling it for others but lets just say I had a little cry at some points. Michael Murpurgo is truley a wonderful children's author and is not afraid to tackle difficult topics.

Away to PM the next participant ASAP

Heading off to the next participate.

Journal Entry 10 by rhythmbiscuit from Northglenn, Colorado USA on Monday, June 30, 2008
This book arrived at my house recently. Thank you so much, and the beautiful postcards and bookmark were a lovely surprise. I'll add a Colorado postcard when I ship it on.

I look forward to reading this book.

Journal Entry 11 by rhythmbiscuit from Northglenn, Colorado USA on Wednesday, July 16, 2008
I thoroughly enjoyed this book! This is the first Michael Morpurgo I've read, and I think he is very talented.

I think my favorite part is about the albatross traveling with Allie.

I will pass this book along to Megi53.

Journal Entry 12 by rhythmbiscuit at n/a, Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Monday, July 21, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (7/21/2008 UTC) at n/a, Bookray -- Controlled Releases

I mailed this book today. Enjoy!

Journal Entry 13 by Megi53 from Danville, Virginia USA on Monday, July 28, 2008
I got this today. What a beautiful book!

The postcard from Colorado was a joy -- I've never seen one with a die-cut shape before!

Journal Entry 14 by Megi53 from Danville, Virginia USA on Wednesday, September 03, 2008
Finished just a few minutes ago (as Allie would have put it, 1945 hrs. 36°35′14″N 79°24′16″W) and while it wasn't as heartwarming as Kensuke's Kingdom, the descriptions of the sea and its fauna were outstanding. I loved the albatross, the gannett, and the turtle.

The section at the end about how to find relatives if you were from a family in Arthur's and Kitty's situation was a nice touch.

This ray will continue!

Participants:

AgnesXNitt (UK)
Vamperstein8782 (UK)

Journal Entry 15 by Megi53 at Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Saturday, September 13, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (9/13/2008 UTC) at Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom

Mailed to AgnesXNitt to continue bookray.

Journal Entry 16 by AgnesXNitt from Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Sunday, September 21, 2008
Received on Friday 19th September.
Thanks for sending me this one Margaret, I look forward to being enchanted and moved by Michael Morpurgo once more. I found his WW1 novel 'Private Peaceful' to be one of the most moving books I've read on the subject and would encourage previous readers to beg, borrow or steal a copy of this book as soon as they can.
As I am seeing Vamperstein8782 soonish - now we can manage to meet up via work (your tax money at work ladies and gentlemen!) - I will try to read this and pass it on in a fortnight.

31/12/08
Apologies, this has slid down my TBR mountain, but have had a request from HerbertLooby in Wales that when I and Vamperstien8782 have read this book, could it be passed onto her please.
Happy to oblige!

Journal Entry 17 by AgnesXNitt from Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Wednesday, January 21, 2009
Just finished this wonderful book at lunchtime today. Wow. What a great plot and magnificient characters. I can't believe Mr Morpurgo wrote this, I'm practically convinced that this is a true story. Although from his notes in the back and my meagre knowledge of this sort of 'Leaving of Liverpool' story I am sure he unwittingly hits the nail on the head any number of times. I wonder what would happen today if the Government announced that children from 'broken' homes, orphans and juvenile 'deliquents' were to be shipped (literally) off to Canada, America, and Australia? Of course this happened from the time both America and Australia were 'discovered' in the 16th Century/19th Century respectively, and only stopped due to both countries slamming the door in a legal sense. Arthur's story is heartbreaking and hopeful in equal parts, and although it might end sadly for some of us readers, as he says, his story end as all our stories will end. His daughter picking up his torch and carrying his spirit home both literally and emotionally is equally compelling and I am happy to keep this book travelling onwards to reward more readers with this brilliant story.
The good new is (cue the trumpets) 'Twould appear the ring continues!
And this book is now travelling onwards from me thus:

Vamperstein8782, Suffolk
HerbertLooby, Wales
Hakkalina, Budapest

Where will this marvellous book end up?!

Journal Entry 18 by AgnesXNitt from Godmanchester, Cambridgeshire United Kingdom on Thursday, January 22, 2009
Posting to Vamperstein8782 today from Brampton Post office :)

Journal Entry 19 by AMJ-898913 on Wednesday, February 11, 2009
*hangs head* Sorry, I'm bad... this arrived at least 2 weeks ago so I can only apologise for not journalling sooner. Looking forward to this

Journal Entry 20 by AMJ-898913 on Tuesday, March 03, 2009
Yet another moving account from Mr Morpurgo who works his magic weaving real-life history into a poignant fictional story time and again.

Whipped through this in just over a day once I'd started reading... he's just one of those authors you can't put down.

Have PM's herbertloby for an address and will mail out soonest.

Journal Entry 21 by AMJ-898913 on Friday, March 06, 2009
In the mail today - enjoy!

Journal Entry 22 by HerbertLooby on Wednesday, March 11, 2009
Looking forward to reading this as it will be the first of his work I have read and I heard about it on radio 4 some time ago

Journal Entry 23 by HerbertLooby at Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (3/19/2009 UTC) at Bookray, A Bookray -- Controlled Releases

On the next step of it's journey (having nearly come home again seeing as it was first registered in Cardiff) - off to Budapest next!

Journal Entry 24 by hakkalina from Budapest, Pest Hungary on Tuesday, March 24, 2009
Thanks, HerbertLooby, it arrived safely today. * Some pages are moving freely, but I will take care for it.
I had already checked the wishlists for this book, and found discoverylover and snufkin81 would like to read it, I had asked them whether they were or not interested in it. After my turn the book will fly to discoverylover, then to snufkin81, if no one else will sign for it.
I can't believe it is a children book. Considering its style, mostly the second part, it may be, but because of its messages I think it is raher an adult book. But maybe it is only the question of maturity. It was quick read since I read it everywhere and anytime where it was possible, on trams, subway, standing at bus-stops, after getting up, in lunch time, before going to bed, also in my dreams.

*^^* It is an awesome, wonderful, beautiful book. *^^*

I couldn't understand every word, sometimes I used dictionary, sometimes I refused it. During the first part of Arthur's story I said "Thank to Heaven that I don't understand everything", it was a very painful part, full with stifled negative emotions, I felt the tension along the 'Cooper's Station'. This tension vanished with Aunty Megs. From that point I was ok, and could read, reread passages, think, interpret.
Maybe because of I am an "adult" I would have been interested in more in Arthur's life as an adult, a husband, a father. It seemed to suggest that after his marriage everything was allright. Although the human's development is not finished with reaching the adulthood. I missed this part.
I am captivated by Allie, but I am also a little bit envious at Allie as What she did and as How she did. I should do the same in my life, find my own sea for sailing.

ˇˇ * ˇˇ The Ray continues ˇˇ * ˇˇ

1. discoverylover - NewZealand - intl.
2. karen07814 - UK - Intl.
3. snufkin81 - South Africa (would like to be last)

Journal Entry 25 by hakkalina at Budapest, Pest Hungary on Thursday, April 02, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (4/2/2009 UTC) at Budapest, Pest Hungary

It goes by airmail to New Zealand!

Journal Entry 26 by wingdiscoveryloverwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Tuesday, April 21, 2009
Arrived in the last week sometime - I've just got home from the convention in Christchurch - and what a nice book to come home too! I'll be sure to read this quickly and get it off to the next person :-)

Thanks so much for sending it to me!

Journal Entry 27 by wingdiscoveryloverwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, April 23, 2009
Another book by Morpurgo that I really enjoyed - not as much as some of his others, but he can definitely tell a good story well. And it kept me interested!

Have pmed Snufkin81 for their address and will get it off to them asap :-)

Thanks again for including me on this!

Journal Entry 28 by wingdiscoveryloverwing from Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Thursday, April 23, 2009
oh dear I've just realised I've pmed the wrong person...will remedy right now!

Journal Entry 29 by wingdiscoveryloverwing at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand on Friday, May 22, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (5/21/2009 UTC) at Wellington City, Wellington Province New Zealand

I'm so sorry for taking so long to get this one on its way, but it's in the mail now, and should arrive in the next 13-25 working days....

Journal Entry 30 by karen07814 from Colchester, Essex United Kingdom on Saturday, May 30, 2009
it's here! with loads of stuff that fell out as well, thank you the origami thingummies will be down to the local youth club to teach the next generation how it's done. it's now number 2 on the reading list so should go out next week.

ps everyone who loved this should also read empty cradles, the true story on available on a bookray near you (use the search on the forums) highly recommended reading

Ok since it only took a day to read it will be posted Monday to SA, will that be it's final destination? Seems a shame for it to stop travelling.

Excellent book covering two subjects in one tome. I was tempted to skip the sailing bit but it read well so I carried on.
The author has a great knack of rounding off a story. This is the first book I've read byhim and I dare say won't be the last.

Journal Entry 31 by karen07814 at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Friday, June 05, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (6/8/2009 UTC) at Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa

over to you

Journal Entry 32 by snufkin81 from Cape Town, Western Cape South Africa on Wednesday, June 24, 2009
This arrived today. Thanks so much! There are so many little bookmarks and notes, they're almost as exciting as the book itself (I'm especially pleased to have been introduced to The Lost Book, it looks like a fascinating project).

Unfortunately I have a lot of books ahead of this one, but once I've read it I'll definitely try to keep it moving.