All That Matters

by Wayson Choy | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by loveamystery of Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on 3/23/2008
Journal Entry 1 by loveamystery from Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Sunday, March 23, 2008
From the back cover: "From Wayson Choy, beloved author of The Jade Peony, comes a heart-breakingly beautiful new work. All That Matters continues the story of the Chen family, this time seen through the eyes of First Son, Kiam-Kim. Having fled the harshness of their Toishan village, the Chens arrive in Gold Mountain,, dreams fading to reality as they struggle to keep alive the traditions of an older world and adjust to a country on the brink of the Second World War. Choy accomplishes the extaordinary: blending a haunting evocation of tenacious, ancient traditions with a precise, funny, and very modern coming-of-age story."

A wonderful story.

Journal Entry 2 by loveamystery at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (1/17/2011 UTC) at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada

I hope you enjoy this as much as The Jade Peony.

Journal Entry 3 by wingjumpinginwing at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, January 20, 2011
Thank you so much, loveamystery, both for the book and for the matching bookmark. You are always so generous.

Journal Entry 4 by wingjumpinginwing at Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Tuesday, November 17, 2015
I did enjoy this as much as the Jade Peony. I love historical fiction set here in Vancouver. It makes me look at my city in a different way.

Journal Entry 5 by wingjumpinginwing at Kiwassa Neighbourhood House in Vancouver, British Columbia Canada on Thursday, October 27, 2016

Released 3 yrs ago (10/14/2016 UTC) at Kiwassa Neighbourhood House in Vancouver, British Columbia Canada

Left in the bookcase in the lobby.