Sea Glass: A Novel

by Anita Shreve | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by DSM of Forestville, Michigan USA on 3/19/2003
Journal Entry 1 by DSM from Forestville, Michigan USA on Wednesday, March 19, 2003
Our bookclub selection for August 2005.

Journal Entry 2 by DSM from Forestville, Michigan USA on Sunday, August 14, 2005
I'm so glad this book was suggested as our bookclub reading selection for August. A good 'beach read' I think considering part of it's setting is on the beach!

I really enjoyed Sea Glass and was surprised (but not surprised as it just made sense) by the ending. A wonderful story that makes one really think about Union strikes in the 20's & 30's.

Journal Entry 3 by DSM from Forestville, Michigan USA on Saturday, August 20, 2005
Reserving for tranql

Journal Entry 4 by DSM at Books for Postage in Bad Axe, Michigan USA on Sunday, August 21, 2005

Released 15 yrs ago (8/25/2005 UTC) at Books for Postage in Bad Axe, Michigan USA

Read & Release!

Journal Entry 5 by tranq1 from Tampa, Florida USA on Monday, August 29, 2005
Received in mail from RABCK.

Journal Entry 6 by tranq1 at A fellow bookcrosser in By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Released 15 yrs ago (2/21/2006 UTC) at A fellow bookcrosser in By mail, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

sending to krin511 for Virtual Book Box Round 4 (Fiction Only) on bookrelay.

Journal Entry 7 by krin511 from Olney, Maryland USA on Monday, February 27, 2006
Arrived today - thanks!

Description:

The year is 1929 and Honora Beecher and her husband, Sexton, are just settling into a new marriage and a cottage on the coast of New Hampshire. While Honora fixes up the derelict house and searches for bits of sea glass on the beach, Sexton risks everything they own to buy the house they both love. Along with millions of other Americans, he is blindsided by the stock market crash and finds himself penniless. The only work he can find is in a nearby mill, where a labor conflict is erupting into violence. Shaken by forces they scarcely understand, Honora and Sexton try to build a marriage and a home while overwhelmed by passions of every kind.

Journal Entry 8 by krin511 from Olney, Maryland USA on Tuesday, August 01, 2006
I decided to start a bookring with this book. Here are the participants so far (in order):

MissPrissy (MA) (anywhere)
BabyFlyLady (UK) (anywhere)
MieLH (Denmark) (Europe)
BOKWORMY (Portugal) (anywhere)
honey1982 (Canada) (US/Canada)
krin511 (MD)

Journal Entry 9 by krin511 at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Thursday, August 10, 2006

Released 14 yrs ago (8/10/2006 UTC) at by mail in To the next participant, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Mailed to the first participant - MissPrissy!

Journal Entry 10 by missprisy from Edmond, Oklahoma USA on Wednesday, August 16, 2006
I'm currently away, but this book has arrived. My boyfriend is at home and has permission to open my packages. I will start this book when I get home next week.

Journal Entry 11 by missprisy from Edmond, Oklahoma USA on Monday, August 28, 2006
I really enjoyed this book, thank you krin511 for sharing. Sea Glass was my first Anita Shreve book and it totally kept my attention. I finished the book in about two days, what a great story. Plan on mailing to BabyFlyLady tomorrow (Aug 29). Enjoy!

Journal Entry 12 by BabyFlylady from Driffield, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Saturday, November 04, 2006
Mailed by Miss Prisy on 29th August and received by me today. Thanks for sending it on. I am looking forward to it but am a bit bogged down with University work at the moment, so am saving this one as a treat!! Will move it on as fast as I can. Thanks krin511 for starting this ring.

Journal Entry 13 by BabyFlylady from Driffield, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Sunday, December 17, 2006
I had decided that I wasn't going to get around to this one, but have decided that even if I post it now it will only sit in a mail depot somewhere until after the holidays, so have started to read it and will send on when finished. My apologies for holding on to it longer than the usual 4 weeks but life has been hectic and University assignmnets have taken preference to reading unfortunatley!

Journal Entry 14 by BabyFlylady from Driffield, East Yorkshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, January 02, 2007
I enjoyed this book but as usual with her books I was let down by the abrupt and frankly unimaginative ending. I did enjoy the descriptions of the house which I recognised from "The Pilots Wife" and am now more interested in reading "Fortunes Rocks" which also features the house.

Thanks for sharing this one!

Released 14 yrs ago (1/2/2007 UTC) at Controlled Release - By Post in Driffield, East Yorkshire United Kingdom

on it's way to Demark today.

Journal Entry 16 by MieLH from Odense, Fyns Amt Denmark on Saturday, January 06, 2007
This bookring has arrived in Odense, Denmark, and is now safe with me :) Thanx for passing it to me.

Journal Entry 17 by MieLH from Odense, Fyns Amt Denmark on Thursday, January 18, 2007
This was my first Anita Shreve book. I liked it, but like previous readers I thought the ending came quite abrubt and felt strange. At first I thought the thing about telling the story from the various characters point of view was annoying and somewhat confusing, and it took me half the book before I started appreciating it.

Thanks for sharing this with me, though :) It has broadened my view!

It'll travel to BOKWORMY in Portugal today :) I hope it arrives safely.

Journal Entry 18 by BOKWORMY on Tuesday, January 23, 2007
Just received it in the post with a lovely card from MieLH, Thanks!

Thanks for sharing, krin511. I´ve got a few bookrings at the moment but I promise not to take long.

X

Beautifully written, a nice story with a sad ending! I also recognized the house from "The Pilot´s Wife" & "Fortune Rock".

Journal Entry 19 by BOKWORMY at on Monday, February 19, 2007

Released 14 yrs ago (2/19/2007 UTC) at

On the way to honey1982 in Canada!

Journal Entry 20 by honey1982 from Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Thursday, March 01, 2007
It has arrived. Thanks bokwormy. It's always the same old story. I'm currently reading The Stone Angel and next up: Shopaholic and Baby, which I'm hoping to have signed in Montreal next Friday. I will get to this book right after that. I'm actually pretty happy to see that there is no one after me....yet. I don't feel so bad for not starting it today. Krin511, please let me know what the plans are for the book.

Journal Entry 21 by honey1982 from Ottawa, Ontario Canada on Thursday, March 15, 2007
Great book and fast read. I too noticed the house and surrounding area from Shreve's other novels. Thanks for sharing.

Put into the mail on March 17th, may the Irish bring it home :)

Journal Entry 22 by krin511 from Olney, Maryland USA on Saturday, March 24, 2007
The book arrived home yesterday. Thanks to everyone who participated in this bookring!