Candy Girl: A Year in the Life of an Unlikely Stripper

by Diablo Cody | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by STAGEMANAGER of Forest Hills, New York USA on 3/21/2008
Journal Entry 1 by STAGEMANAGER from Forest Hills, New York USA on Friday, March 21, 2008
Diablo Cody and yes that seems to be her real name is a Academy award winning author of the movie "Juno".

This book is a sort of memoir of her time as a dancer / stripper in small clubs in small towns in Minnesota. It shows her to be a cheerful and charming girl and her observations on life in the skin trade are intelligent and insightful.

In the end I'm not sure what she thinks about girls who take off their clothes for money, but the book is readable and the woman is fun to meet.

Journal Entry 2 by wingwaterfallingwing from Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, April 01, 2008
Received in today's mail. Thank you for making the offer and sending it to me. I should be able to read and journal in the upcoming weeks.

Journal Entry 3 by wingwaterfallingwing from Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Tuesday, April 22, 2008
I'll preface this with saying that I have yet to see "Juno".

I found this to be an enjoyable read. Good pacing, clever enough in descriptions and insight, with a moment or two of TMI that is forgiven for its honesty. Why do girls/women/ladies strip? This is one girl's/woman's/lady's response.

Journal Entry 4 by wingwaterfallingwing from Raleigh, North Carolina USA on Wednesday, April 23, 2008
Sent off as a graduation present from someone's wish list.

Journal Entry 5 by JenKazoo from Shreveport, Louisiana USA on Saturday, April 26, 2008
Wow! It was a very unexpected suprise finding this book in the mail today. Thank you, Waterfalling, for thinking of me and sending me this book as a graduation present. I really appreciate it and it could not have come at a better time because I really needed some cheering up this week. It put a smile on my face when after a few long days of frowning. I can't wait to read this book and will release it to someone else who has it listed on their wishlist when I am finished.

Journal Entry 6 by JenKazoo from Shreveport, Louisiana USA on Thursday, August 21, 2008
I am going to try and generate interest for this book as an INT'L bookray.

There are no specific rules for this ray, just a few guidelines that will make the ray enjoyable for everyone. Please be sure to journal the book when you receive it. Also, make a journal entry again after you have read the book to let us know what you thought. Say as much or as little as you like. It helps keep the ray going at a comfortable pace if you PM the next person when you are nearing the end of the book. If you feel like you may need to keep the book longer than a few weeks please PM me and let me know. Be respectful of other members of the ray who would like to read this book! Have fun reading, I hope you enjoy the book!

Please make sure I have your name spelled correctly because I have a bad habit of making careless mistakes when it comes to typing! Thanks!

Here is the TEMPORARY oreder of the ray; the order is subject to change.

ARAMENA (US SHIPPING)
SUNFI (INT'L SHIPPING)

Journal Entry 7 by JenKazoo at Moore, Oklahoma USA on Monday, September 15, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (9/15/2008 UTC) at Moore, Oklahoma USA

This book is ready to begins its journey on the bookray! It is off to Aramena!

Journal Entry 8 by Aramena from Moore, Oklahoma USA on Thursday, September 18, 2008
Arrived today! I should finish my current read this weekend and then start on this one.

By the way, I read an article about Diablo Cody not too long ago. Her real name is Brook Busey! She took the pen name Diablo (Spanish for devil) during a trip to Cody, Wyoming.

Journal Entry 9 by Aramena from Moore, Oklahoma USA on Monday, September 29, 2008
I really enjoyed this book and it's peek into a life that I know very little about but have always been a little fascinated with. In my early 20's I worked as a store manager at a Frederick's of Hollywood in Houston, and quite a few strippers, male and female, came in to buy stuff. One thing my co-workers and I noticed about them, male strippers were always incredibly good-looking, while some of the female strippers were totally not. We used to joke that it just shows that as patrons of strip joints, women are much more discerning about what they're willing to look at and slip dollar bills to!

Anyway, I very much enjoyed this book, and I can definitely recognize Diablo Cody's voice in Juno now. I'm mailing this to Sunfi today!

Journal Entry 10 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Sunday, October 05, 2008
I received this in the mail yesterday. I have a couple other rings ahead of this one, so it will be a few weeks before I get to it. Thanks to JenKazoo for offering it and Aramena for mailing it to me. Since I appear to be last on the ray list. I plan to offer it as a Ray-It-Forward when I finish it.

Journal Entry 11 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Wednesday, September 23, 2009
This wasn't lost but sitting on my TBR shelf the entire time. I had a flood of rings/rays (with other folks in line behind them) so I kept moving this further and further back in the TBR line. I enjoyed this book, thanks to all for sharing this one. I'll be sending it onto mrbaggins1 as a RABK (as it is on his wish list) in the next few days.

Journal Entry 12 by sunfi at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA on Friday, September 25, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (9/25/2009 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA

Off to the next reader, it should arrive in the next few weeks.

Journal Entry 13 by mrbaggins1 from Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Monday, October 26, 2009
Arrived today together with EIGHT other BX books. Luckily this one is an wishlist that I've been looking for a long time.

A nice surprise and thanks for sharing Kortney

Journal Entry 14 by mrbaggins1 at Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Saturday, January 15, 2011
I finally got 'round to reading it after it had been on MT TBR for more than a year. A sad little book really and I'm no prude- I can't, for the life of me, see someone doing this sort of thing for a "kick" Erotica is great to look at, there's nothing more beautiful than the nude female form and I have a lot of nude painting and photographs in my art collection - gynecological shots and "Floor work" while guys masturbate in private or not so private strip joints - yuck

Thanks for sharing - I'll wild release this one

Journal Entry 15 by mrbaggins1 at Bamboo Centre in Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa on Saturday, March 03, 2012

Released 7 yrs ago (3/3/2012 UTC) at Bamboo Centre in Johannesburg, Gauteng South Africa

Released this morning at the morning market when I went to buy some Fair Trade Coffee - I finished this ages ago but its been hanging 'round my shelves. A strange sad read. Thanks for sharing.