Black Thorn, White Rose
ISBN: 0380771292 Global Overview for this book
6 journalers for this copy...
Sent to turbostitcher on 31 May 2008. Send next to:
I received this book, along with three others, as a RABCK. Thanks very much!
CONTROLLED RELEASE NOTES:
Kalise-Austria and international
Dropped off at the post office and included a RABCK.
The ones I liked:
"Words like pale Stones" --weird!! But kind of in a good way. Made me think and want to re-read Rumplestilskin
"Stronger than time" --really liked this one! Original retelling.
"The Brown bear of Norway" - my favorite, maybe because the fairy tale is my favorite as well. I know it as "East of the Sun, West of the Moon" and I think the retelling is superbly original & in beautiful prose. A bit weird, but I understand the bear's shedding of his skin to be a metaphor for growing up.
"The Goose Girl" --told from an interesting perspective, the king. Shannon Hale's _Goose Girl_ is a lot better, though.
Tattercoats -- not bad
Godson -- really enjoyed this one!
Silver & Gold - awesome, simply beautiful.
Black Swan -- wow, sad. But beautifully told.
Stories I didn't like so much:
"The Frog King or Iron Henry" -- HUH?! What the...? Can't make up my mind whether this is lazy storytelling, whether the writer simply copy-pasted parts of his story repeatedly or by accident or whether it's supposed to be that way, with some sort of deep, existential & philosophical message - that I'm simply not getting? LOL.
"Near Beauty" - skipped, don't like sci fi, anyway I didn't want to read yet another story on Sleeping beauty
"Can't catch me" - gingerbreadman's long, rambling internal monologue - yawn.
"Journeybread recipe" - disturbing.
The BEST part of the book is the reference section, though! The list's incomplete, though - some of the best books are missing.
I highly recommend:
Orson Scott Card, _Enchantment_ (Russian Baba Yaga retelling)
Shannon Hale, _The Goose Girl_ (same tale)
Juliet Marrillier _Daughter of the Forest_ (beautiful retelling of The Seven Swans, fantasy)
for some truly excellent fairy tale retellings (that will leave you with a good feeling) :-)
I already have jneni's address & will try to send the book on on Monday!
Sent on to jneni today! Enjoy!
It was fun reading this book and revisiting some of the 'fairytales'. I never knew that they can be re-interpreted in such different angles. Among all, here's some that I really like:
1. Words Like Pale Stone: A nice re-creation and an extension of Rumpelstiltskin. I have almost forgotten about this! I read this when I was very young. The way the mother got rid of Rumpelstiltskin was ingenious.
2. Stronger Than Time: A wonderful interpretation of Sleeping Beauty with a daring new character. I like the prince and Arven, especially the part where the prince was actually a ghost. The ending was sort of bittersweet - just nice.
3. Journeybread Recipe: Just fun and witty!
4. Tattercoats: One of its kind love-story!
Some I felt was just..mediocre? It felt like the story started out of nowhere and ended abruptly too.
1. Somnus's Fair Maid: This one started okay and ended okay too, but I just felt that it's somewhat mediocre in a sense that it doesn't have a climax. It didn't feel like a story. Instead, I felt like someone was just blandly recalling something.
2. Ogre: Hello? What is this about? A bunch of beings gathering together trying to put up a play. This is one of those that started and ended abruptly. I don't know what was going on half the time.
3. Granny Rumple: Well, I don't really dislike this one. It also started out okay, but I felt that it ended ... somewhat strangely. The idea of a woman with lots of wrinkles didn't sound bad, but I wished this can be elaborated further.
Thank you for including me for the ring! Took me awhile before I have time to journal my read (I even have to re-read some to be sure of what I am going to write! *grins*)
I will PM the next reader and I hope he/she wouldn't mind if this is a bit late.
CONTROLLED RELEASE NOTES:
Sorry for being so late! This is finally going to Bug2004. I've PM-ed her earlier and as per our agreement, I will surface mail this to her because it's quite thick and costly. Thank you for including me!