Maps for Lost Lovers

by Nadeem Aslam | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by katrinat of Southend-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on 3/17/2008
Journal Entry 1 by katrinat from Southend-on-Sea, Essex United Kingdom on Monday, March 17, 2008
A book about the struggle of immigrants to find a home in a new country, the conflict of the two cultures and the struggle with arranged marriages.
The novel uses stunning languages and descriptions, a fantastic read.

Bookray:
Midlifecrisis (UK, PREF EU)
lucy-lemon (uk, pref eu
hippolein (FINLAND, EU
Annimanni, (Finland, pref EU)
Nicoleangela (gERMANY, INTl
BOKWORMY (Portugal, intl)
Isabelopes (pORTUGAL, INTL) SKIPPED
okyrhoe (Greece, INTL)
starrdust (canada, intl)
bodesoda (USA, POST US)
rhythmbiscuit (USA, pref USA)
oi-reader (usa, pref usa)its here

Then on to Bug2004 who is going to receive it as a ray-it-forwards to keep it moving on.

Journal Entry 2 by Midlifecrisis from St. Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom on Saturday, April 05, 2008
This arrived today - thank you.

Journal Entry 3 by Midlifecrisis from St. Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom on Sunday, April 20, 2008
I am sorry, life is a bit on top of me at the moment and I am struggling to read anything which is not written in words of one syllable. Since this looks well written and challenging, I don't think there is any way I am going to finish it within three months, let alone one. I have therefore pm'd Lucy-Lemon to send it on to her. Sorry to be a dork.....

Journal Entry 4 by Midlifecrisis from St. Austell, Cornwall United Kingdom on Friday, April 25, 2008
Posted first class to Lucy today.

Journal Entry 5 by lucy-lemon from Llandudno, Wales United Kingdom on Saturday, May 03, 2008
Arrived the other day and I cannot wait to start it! I have a couple of other bookrings that need to be read first, and I'm racing through them so I can get to Maps for Lost Lovers sooner. Looks amazing. :-)

Journal Entry 6 by winghippoleinwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, July 14, 2008
Book arrived safely in Finland.
Thanks katrinat for yet another wonderful book you sent in the world!

And of course thanks to lucy-lemon for sending it!

Only 4 urgent ring/raybooks before this one ;-)

Journal Entry 7 by Teddyke from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Monday, August 18, 2008
Enjoyed reading the book, a topic that interests me... I seem to bump into books about people originally from the Indian subcontinent now living in the UK quite a lot too! Now it's my husband's, Hippolein's, turn to read it...

Journal Entry 8 by winghippoleinwing from Helsinki, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Thursday, August 21, 2008
I've now tried for a whole week to get into this book, but it just doesn't seem to be my kind of style (at least not right now).
Got bravely through the winter, but with the spring starting I wanted to get to summer, and just stumbled over the text :-(

Will contact the next in row now!

Journal Entry 9 by winghippoleinwing at At meetup, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases on Friday, August 22, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (8/23/2008 UTC) at At meetup, a controlled release -- Controlled Releases

At a meeting in a cafe in Helsinki, this book will go to the next person in the Bookring.

Journal Entry 10 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Sunday, August 24, 2008
Got the book yesterday from Hippolein (thanks!). It went straight to the top of my TBR pile.

Journal Entry 11 by wingAnnimanniwing from Espoo, Uusimaa / Nyland Finland on Tuesday, September 16, 2008
Since I'm not a fan of the poetic style of writing, I had a bit of a hard time getting going with the book. After I got to know the characters, however, I really enjoyed the story. Or maybe the word 'enjoy' is wrong since I felt sad most of the time. I don't think any of them (those alive, anyway) were happy with their lot in life and it made me sad too. I felt especially bad for the female characters, particularly Kaukab, because she is such a perfect example of how ignorance (due to lack of education, which in turn is due to her gender) narrows your outlook and prevents you from living your life to the full. How very lonely and limited her world is!

Journal Entry 12 by wingAnnimanniwing at Eppstein, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (9/17/2008 UTC) at Eppstein, Hessen Germany

Sending the book to the next one on the ray. Enjoy, Nicoleangela!

Journal Entry 13 by Nicoleangela from Eppstein, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, September 23, 2008
Thank you Annimanni! Found the book in my mailbox today. Can't wait to start reading-sounds great!

Journal Entry 14 by Nicoleangela from Eppstein, Hessen Germany on Tuesday, October 21, 2008
A book that shows the struggles of immmigrants in a new country.-conflicts of two cultures.
I'll send the book to bokwormy today.

Journal Entry 15 by BOKWORMY on Friday, October 24, 2008
Thanks Nicoleangela for posting it over :) and thank-you katrinat for sharing it with me!

Journal Entry 16 by BOKWORMY on Tuesday, November 11, 2008
I just couldn't get into this book.

PMing next person for address.

13.11 - Isabelopes has asked to be skipped so I've PMed okyrhoe for addy!

Journal Entry 17 by BOKWORMY at on Monday, November 17, 2008

Released 11 yrs ago (11/17/2008 UTC) at

On the way to okyrhoe!

Journal Entry 18 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Monday, December 01, 2008
Arrived on Friday but I didn't get round to j.e.ing until today. Thanks katrinat for including me in the bookray, and BOKWORMY for posting it to me!

Update December 31: Just finished reading the book & am contacting the next reader.

Journal Entry 19 by okyrhoe from Athens - Αθήνα, Attica Greece on Thursday, January 08, 2009
(I'll put my comments here later today, pressed the back button by mistake & lost the text I'd typed in so far. Unf don't have time to do it right now. *#$%$%!!! Note to self: Write in a document and copy/paste next time.)

----
On its way to starrdust.

Journal Entry 20 by wingstarrdustwing from Cookstown, Ontario Canada on Saturday, January 17, 2009
Picked up this book from the Post Office today, so it has arrived safely in Canada. I'm looking forward to reading this one. Thanks okyrhoe, for the lovely postcard and message - - what a beautiful view of Greece!

Journal Entry 21 by wingstarrdustwing from Cookstown, Ontario Canada on Thursday, March 05, 2009
Enjoyed the poetic writing style for the most part, and really made an effort to get into this book. In the end I just wasn't able to finish reading it and gave up after about 170 pages or so. In some ways the story started to get repetitive and I just couldn't find a way to connect with the characters. It's not often I have to give up on a book, but this was one of those times.

Sent a pm to bodesoda but she/he has asked to be skipped, so now this book is in the post today on its way to rhythmbiscuit. Thanks for sharing this book with all of us, katrinat.

Journal Entry 22 by rhythmbiscuit from Northglenn, Colorado USA on Sunday, March 15, 2009
Thank you for sharing this book. I look forward to reading it.

A bookcrosser told me once she enjoys reading what's going in the bookcrosser's little world when she receives a book....Yesterday my friend and I visited a gold mine in Cripple Creek, Colorado. It was one of the most productive gold mines during the early 20th century, and it's still in operation today. They even gave us a piece of sample ore! Granted, it only has a few cents worth of gold in it. =-D

Journal Entry 23 by rhythmbiscuit from Northglenn, Colorado USA on Tuesday, April 21, 2009
I could not get into this book, although it seems beautifully written. I have contacted oi-reader for her address.

Journal Entry 24 by oi-reader from Toledo, Ohio USA on Monday, May 18, 2009
arrived safely! Thanks for sharing. I have 2 rings ahead of this but will get to it soon :)

Journal Entry 25 by oi-reader at -- Somewhere, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA on Monday, June 29, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (6/30/2009 UTC) at -- Somewhere, -- By post or by hand/ in person -- USA

You are last on the list! Enjoy :)

Journal Entry 26 by oi-reader from Toledo, Ohio USA on Monday, June 29, 2009
What a beautiful book! I loved the style of writing, the descriptive way Aslam brought out every fine detail of his characters and their surroundings. Admittedly, at first I was a bit put off by the story line, but through perserverence I found the tale enchanting. Many of the interpersonal relationship quirks he writes of I have seen first hand, being married to a Pakistani immigrant years ago.

Thanks so much for sharing! This is being sent to Bug2004 in tomorrow's mail :)

Journal Entry 27 by Bug2004 from Omaha, Nebraska USA on Monday, July 06, 2009
Re'cvd today. Have several in front of it, but promise to keep it moving when I'm done. Thanks for sharing! :)