The Smell of Apples

by Mark Behr | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by Girandola of Ziano Piacentino, Emilia Romagna Italy on 3/17/2008
Journal Entry 1 by Girandola from Ziano Piacentino, Emilia Romagna Italy on Monday, March 17, 2008
This novel tells us with eye-opening authenticity the Africaner mentality during the Apartheid regime in South Africa.

The book will be released in Italy with the "BOX dei mondi lontani"

Journal Entry 2 by Girandola from Ziano Piacentino, Emilia Romagna Italy on Tuesday, March 25, 2008
partito oggi con il Box

Journal Entry 3 by stardust10 from Como, Lombardia Italy on Sunday, April 06, 2008
arrivato con il box dei mondi lontani, penso sarà il primo libro che leggero del box

Journal Entry 4 by stardust10 from Como, Lombardia Italy on Wednesday, May 07, 2008
Bello ma un pò triste alla fine..
Ripartito con il resto del box

Journal Entry 5 by alced0atthis from London, Greater London United Kingdom on Thursday, July 10, 2008
Frightening. It's amazing the lies we tell ourselves to justify the worst actions.
This book is going to become a RING as stated in the rules of the BOX.

List:
-Vanigliacocco
-Hayes13<--
-fabianaitaly
-Aly24j

Journal Entry 6 by DevilKitty from Camogli, Liguria Italy on Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Arrivato oggi. Gli toccherà aspettare che finisca un paio di libri che lo precedono. Farò in modo di essere veloce.

Journal Entry 7 by DevilKitty from Camogli, Liguria Italy on Wednesday, September 10, 2008
I was pretty much interested in reading this book as I have been twice to South Africa and really love the place. I am aware I do not know the "soul" of the country and I am not in the position or state of mind of judging its history.This book doesn't focus on apartheid though: apartheid creeps through the plot and pops up towards the end of the story like a hideous nightmare. Worst of all are the apparent tranquillity and the disturbing conformism and hypocrisy of the characters involved, but the child become a man and a soldier, telling us his memories through the awful mists of war. More than a tale on South Africa society back in the '70s, I'd like to see it like a parade of middle class miseries and mediocrity which actually apply to many other countries and people throughout history and ages, even nowadays. Thanks for sharing, it was well worth reading.
The book is leaving tomorrow to Tilly77.
Have a safe journey!

Journal Entry 8 by tilly77 from Cesena, Emilia Romagna Italy on Thursday, September 18, 2008
Arrivato, starà con me a lungo...

Journal Entry 9 by tilly77 from Cesena, Emilia Romagna Italy on Monday, December 29, 2008
L'apartheid visto dagli occhi di un decenne afrikaner, abbastanza sconvolgente se si pensa alla patina di ottusa e ipocrita normalità spalmata su un contesto così poco ordinario... mi ha lasciato addosso una sensazione di malessere e inquietudine.

Riparte appena... qualcuno si fa avanti per leggerlo!! ^^

Journal Entry 10 by tilly77 at -- via posta o passaggio a mano --, Emilia Romagna Italy on Saturday, February 21, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (2/21/2009 UTC) at -- via posta o passaggio a mano --, Emilia Romagna Italy

spedito a etnagigante!

Journal Entry 11 by etnagigante from Catania, Sicilia Italy on Saturday, March 07, 2009
The book is here

Journal Entry 12 by etnagigante from Catania, Sicilia Italy on Wednesday, May 27, 2009
This book was not an easy reading, not for being written in a bad way but for the point of view of the author. Young Afrikaan, son of a general, Marnus has a pleasant and easy life till the arrival of a colleague of his father. The young boy discovers jealousy for his sister, secrets for his best friend and the ugly things that racism can do. His parents are growing him in a rigid, racist and too formal way. The book in a split in two temporal moment: the first with Marnus as a child and the second while he is in war.
Useful for a different vision of a far country like South Africa through the eyes of a white.

Journal Entry 13 by mickey81 from Lurago d'Erba, Lombardia Italy on Sunday, May 31, 2009
Book received!I'll start it in a few days!

Journal Entry 14 by mickey81 from Lurago d'Erba, Lombardia Italy on Friday, June 19, 2009
This really interesting reading is useful to understand the Afrikaner mentality during apartheid. A bit disconcerting and disturbing story.

Thanks for the ring, it will leave as soon as possible!

Journal Entry 15 by aly24j from Pradamano, Friuli Venezia Giulia Italy on Thursday, June 25, 2009
The book is here with me!!

EDIT 10th August: In these months I have been quite "messed up"; I still have little time for "pleasure" read and actually I am not in the mood for this one (according to previous entries this is not an "easy/funny" book).
I want to read it, but not now...So I asked our kind Ringmaster (thank you!) to postpone my turn and today I sent it to the next bookcrosser, Vanigliacocco!

Journal Entry 16 by Vanigliacocco from Brescia, Lombardia Italy on Wednesday, August 12, 2009
Book arrived today

Journal Entry 17 by Vanigliacocco from Brescia, Lombardia Italy on Friday, November 13, 2009
Ho iniziato a leggere questo libro e mi è sembrato interessante però purtroppo non so per quale ragione non riesco a procedere. Forse è semplicemente pigrizia o forse non è il momento giusto.
Mi dispiace averlo trattenuto. Ripartito oggi

Journal Entry 18 by wingHayes13wing from Roma, Lazio Italy on Saturday, November 14, 2009
Arrived this morning... came via turbo diesel!!

Journal Entry 19 by wingHayes13wing from Roma, Lazio Italy on Monday, November 30, 2009
This is the story of Marnus, a pre-adolescent Afrikaner boy, told in his own words and in his own style. The language is perfect for a young boy and the images and episodes are vividly portrayed. The descriptions of his sister, parents, his best buddy, and the young girl they love to torment, are charming and brutal at the same time. Every now and then Marnus' adult voice is heard. He is a soldier, fighting in Angola and it is 1988.

But something is not quite right. There is a lot of tension, political and social, in the family as well, and even a young boy cannot escape noticing it. It is, after all, the 1970s. The whole world is in political and social turmoil.

I loved the language and the feeling of the beginning of the story and the perfect portrayal of this, I assume, typically Christian Afrikaner family, but I was confused by the ending. The climax of both of Marnus' stories arrive, and I confess that didn't understand the attempt to tie the two episodes together. I only wish that the author had explored this aspect of the story a little more.

Am waiting to know who the next recipient is.

Journal Entry 20 by wingHayes13wing at -- via posta o passaggio a mano --, Lazio Italy on Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Released 9 yrs ago (1/12/2010 UTC) at -- via posta o passaggio a mano --, Lazio Italy

I will hand this over to Fabiana at the Meetup this evening.

Journal Entry 21 by fabianaitaly from Roma, Lazio Italy on Wednesday, January 13, 2010
The book is in my hands ... it's in line!

Journal Entry 22 by fabianaitaly at Rione Monti in Roma, Lazio Italy on Tuesday, February 08, 2011

Released 8 yrs ago (2/8/2011 UTC) at Rione Monti in Roma, Lazio Italy

Come richiesto dal RayMaster rilascio il libro ITW. In occasione del consueto MU romano verrà rilasciato somewhere nel rione monti.

______________________________________________________________________________

Benvenuto!!

Hai trovato un libro liberato da me e sono contenta che tu abbia deciso di prenderlo e registrarlo!

Il Bookcrossing consiste nella liberazione di libri, allo scopo di non fargli prendere polvere in libreria e dare la possibilità ad altri di leggerli. Inoltre, grazie a questo sito è possibile seguirne il viaggio attraverso i commenti di coloro che li ritrovano. Coloro che vi partecipano, lo fanno gratuitamente e senza scopo di lucro, con il solo fine di diffondere il piacere della lettura.

Puoi segnalare il ritrovamento di questo libro in maniera anonima (Anonymous Finder) oppure registrarti sul sito. E' gratis e non comporta alcun vincolo!

Se decidi di registrarti puoi inserire il mio nickname (fabianaitaly) nel campo 'referrer'

Questo dove ci troviamo è il sito ufficiale, ma c'è anche un supporto in italiano se ti può essere d'aiuto http://www.bookcrossing-italy.com/

Molti di noi "corsari", inoltre, frequentiamo quotidianamente il forum italiano http://forum.bookcrossing-italy.com/ se ti va facci un giro.

Ti chiedo solo una cosa: dopo aver letto il libro rilascialo a tua volta o passalo a un amico, affinché possa continuare il suo viaggio e altre persone possano leggerlo!

Se ti registrerai, ogni volta che qualcuno inserirà una nuova Journal Entry nella pagina di questo libro verrai avvertito tramite e-mail e potrai così seguire il suo viaggio.

BUONA LETTURA!