Sickened: The True Story of a Lost Childhood

by Julie Gregory | Biographies & Memoirs |
Registered by frangelle on 3/17/2008
Journal Entry 1 by frangelle on Monday, March 17, 2008
Will read then release :)

Journal Entry 2 by frangelle on Saturday, January 03, 2009
Ladybug74 (US)
Supertalya (US)
ninkasi (US)
flossie771 (US)

I am sorry everyone for delay huge cock up on my part, huuuuge apologies :)

Journal Entry 3 by madnad from Adeje, Santa Cruz de Tenerife Spain on Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Received today - thanks, frangelle, for getting this started, and no worries about the delay:) I'll do my best to read this asap but I have 4 other rings here at the moment (yes, they're all coming in at once at the moment).

Journal Entry 4 by madnad from Adeje, Santa Cruz de Tenerife Spain on Sunday, January 25, 2009
I finished the book this morning, in few sittings. What a shocking but gripping story! At times I felt like screaming at Julie's mother - how can anybody be so cruel to their own child, inventing illnesses that don't exist? And why didn't anybody (the nurse and subsequently the doctor) believe Julie when she raises the thought that her mother made up everything? I would have liked to see the final outcome of the story - is Julie really going to save Tina?? That's the only part of the book I didn't like, this open ending.

Thanks for sharing this, frangelle. The book will be on its way to martjxox in the next few days!

Journal Entry 5 by madnad from Adeje, Santa Cruz de Tenerife Spain on Thursday, January 29, 2009
sent to martjxox today!

Journal Entry 6 by Martjxox from Perugia, Umbria Italy on Wednesday, February 04, 2009
Got it a moment ago in the mail! Thank you madnad and thank you frangelle!!! Reading it asap!

Journal Entry 7 by Martjxox at -- via posta o passaggio a mano --, Umbria Italy on Monday, February 09, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (2/10/2009 UTC) at -- via posta o passaggio a mano --, Umbria Italy

This story can't but really make you sick!Julie's mother really has got several issues and makes up sympthoms and illnesses on her kids. Julie has to go through plenty of unnecessary therapies and tests...Munchausen by Proxy is a syndrome typical of parents who were victim of abuses in their childhood. It is one of the worst child abuse ever, may also lead the kid to death. This autobiography is astonishing, yet worth reading to be aware of what happens to too many kids without anyone noticing.

Sending this to the USA tomorrow morning!

Journal Entry 8 by spaceystacey from Bridgeton, New Jersey USA on Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Received in the post today. Will be reading shortly.

02/27/2009 This is a disturbly good read about a strange mental illness that makes mothers, usually, seek treatment for their child(ren) by making them sick themselves.

As a worker in the field of child protection for just about 20 years, I personally have come across this illness, only once. What really disturbs me about Julia's story, is the profound failure of all those around her to protect her. The teachers, the lunch aides, the nurse at school, the various doctors, and specialists, her peers, her FATHER (who by the statement early on) tells her mother not to make Dan Jr. sick, and the social service agencies placing both the Vets and children in placement in a home like this. Granted they eventually did see "the tip of the iceburg" and moved their children, the Vet and Julia, the later not for long due to the parent(s) getting her to recant/not testify.

I appreciate that Julia Gregory is sharing her story, to make others much more aware of this syndrome, and child abuse in general. Hopefully, the one comment in here about not reporting will stick with all readers! It is the law in most states, granted it must be proven that someone else knew, that suspected child abuse be reported to the authorities.

02/28/2009 on the way to the next reader on the list.

Journal Entry 9 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Wednesday, March 04, 2009
I received this book today & will start reading it tonight. Thank you frangelle for sharing this book with us! Thanks also to spaceystacey for sending it on to me!

Journal Entry 10 by ladybug74 from Dothan, Alabama USA on Friday, March 06, 2009
The first part of this book was very interesting, though a bit disturbing. The part where Julie's mother took her in for an unnecessary heart catheterization and later tried to insist on open heart surgery sent chills up my spine. I cringe at the thought of my child having surgery, so it's so hard to imagine a mother doing this to her own daughter. After Julie separated from her mother toward the end and began her own downward spiral, the book became much less interesting. Even when she saw her mother again near the end, it wasn't as interesting as the first part of the book.

I would like to think that doctors today would be more educated about mental disorders and would call Child & Family Services to investigate this family. I am a social worker and can say from experience that this does not always happen. Though there is more information out there today about various types of mental illness, there are still so many doctors and other professionals who would rather just "pass the buck" because this is not their area of specialty.

I have sent PMs to Supertalya and ninkasi, who have both asked to be skipped. The book will be mailed to flossie771 today.

Journal Entry 11 by ladybug74 at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Friday, March 06, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (3/6/2009 UTC) at BookRing in Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

mailed to flossie771 to finish up the bookring

Journal Entry 12 by Flossie771 from Villa Rica, Georgia USA on Monday, March 09, 2009
Received this book today. I have one other ahead of it, so I'll be reading it soon. Thanks ladybug74 for sending it to me....and thanks frangelle for starting it.

Since I am the last reader, frangelle asked me to post in the forums to see if anyone else was interested before sending back home to her.

Journal Entry 13 by Flossie771 from Villa Rica, Georgia USA on Wednesday, March 11, 2009
New additions to the bookring...
kerbam1421
oldreader

Journal Entry 14 by Flossie771 from Villa Rica, Georgia USA on Thursday, March 12, 2009
I finished reading this book today. It was a really interesting book, but I found it sad! I am going to pass along to kerbam1421. Thanks frangelle for offering up this ring.

Journal Entry 15 by Flossie771 at Villa Rica, Georgia USA on Thursday, March 12, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (3/12/2009 UTC) at Villa Rica, Georgia USA

I mailed this book today...dc# 0308 0730 0001 1442 4221

Journal Entry 16 by kerbam1421 from Halethorpe, Maryland USA on Tuesday, March 17, 2009
Received this book today. Should be starting this by the weekend. Thanks for including me in this! :)

UPDATE: Started reading this last night, 3/22, and I'm about half way done. I will PM the next person in line now.

UPDATE: I finished this last night, 3/23. I had to stay up late to finish it, I couldn't put it down, and I paid for it this morning by not being able to wake up! :) This true story was so sad. I was really able to feel for the author. I'm always amazed that the authors of these memoirs turn out the way they do. It would be so easy for them to turn to drugs, or find some other way to run away from their past, but somehow Julie perservered. I loved this book, and I literally could not put it down. I'm so happy that I was finally able to read it, it's been on my list for a while. I highly recommend it to anyone. This will be sent out as soon as I get the next person's mailing address. Thank you!

Journal Entry 17 by kerbam1421 at Halethorpe, Maryland USA on Thursday, March 26, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (3/27/2009 UTC) at Halethorpe, Maryland USA

Thank you so much for including me in this ring! Off to Cali to continue the ring! Enjoy! :)

USPS Delivery Confirmation #: 420956109102785091401969197622

Journal Entry 18 by oldreader from Citrus Heights, California USA on Wednesday, April 08, 2009
arrived today.Have 1 book ahead.thanks

Journal Entry 19 by oldreader from Citrus Heights, California USA on Thursday, April 16, 2009
Very hard subject matter to read.Hard to imagine but there are even worse cases out there.Will mail within the week.

Journal Entry 20 by oldreader at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, April 18, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (4/18/2009 UTC) at Book Ring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

you have found a bookcrossing book.This is a free site that tracks the books as they travel.Please journal this when you find it and after reading.
You may remain anonymous.
on the way to flossie today.

Journal Entry 21 by Flossie771 from Villa Rica, Georgia USA on Monday, April 20, 2009
Book made it back to me, so I can ship internationally back home.

Journal Entry 22 by Flossie771 from Villa Rica, Georgia USA on Tuesday, April 21, 2009
I have the address now, so this book will be mailed back home today....thanks for including me.

Journal Entry 23 by Flossie771 at Villa Rica, Georgia USA on Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Released 10 yrs ago (4/21/2009 UTC) at Villa Rica, Georgia USA

Mailed back home today.

Journal Entry 24 by frangelle on Sunday, August 09, 2009
Book got home safely thankyou :)

Journal Entry 25 by frangelle on Wednesday, January 06, 2010
Book swapped via readitswapit x