The Invisible Circus

by Jennifer Egan | Literature & Fiction |
Registered by winglelliewing of Trimley St Mary, Suffolk United Kingdom on 3/15/2008
Journal Entry 1 by winglelliewing from Trimley St Mary, Suffolk United Kingdom on Saturday, March 15, 2008
Picked up during a trawl of the charity shops.

Synopsis
The high ideals and inevitable compromises of the 1960's form the background to this acclaimed first novel Phoebe O'Connor, eighteen years old in the summer of 1978, is obsessed by the memory of her charismatic older sister, Faith, a flower child who died in Italy in 1970. Searching for the truth about her death and life, Phoebe follows Faith's trail from San Francisco through Europe, ending up in the very place where Faith leapt to her death. The truth that Phoebe discovers there is larger and darker than one death; it goes to the ambiguous heart of a generation that tried to follow its dreams of freedom, and reveals the complex and disturbing nature of those dreams.

I think I'll set this one off on a ray/ring

1.Lizzy-stardust (uk)
2.Jozebedee (UK)
3.lucy-lemon (UK)
4.arturogrande (UK)
5.lauraloo29 (Canada)
6.sunfi (USA)

Journal Entry 2 by winglelliewing at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases on Saturday, October 11, 2008

Released 10 yrs ago (10/11/2008 UTC) at Bookring, A Bookring -- Controlled Releases

Happy reading

Journal Entry 3 by Lizzy-stardust from Salford, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Tuesday, October 14, 2008
recieved today in the post. thanks so much! will read next!

Journal Entry 4 by Lizzy-stardust from Salford, Greater Manchester United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 04, 2008
Finished this book yesterday and was quite impressed. The way Phoebe clung so desperately to a past that she herself had missed out on only made her longing for her sister more palpable. There were things which happened to Phoebe in Europe which I found to be unecessary, but I woin't spoil it for future readers., All in all, a satisfying read.

Journal Entry 5 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Tuesday, November 11, 2008
Received the book in the post this weekend. Sorry for the delay in journalling! Am looking forward to this one!

Journal Entry 6 by Jozebedee from Nantwich, Cheshire United Kingdom on Friday, November 28, 2008
I absolutely loved this book! This is such a well written, and original story with some powerful characters and is quite an emotional rollercoaster of a read. I have already recommended this to a couple of friends - and hope that everyone else in the bookring enjoys it as much as me.
Thanks again for a great read lellie! Posting off to lucy-lemon now!

Journal Entry 7 by lucy-lemon from Llandudno, Wales United Kingdom on Monday, December 01, 2008
Arrived this morning. I've been waiting to read this for a while, so will put to the top of the other rings I have to read!

Thanks for including me on the ring :-)

03.12.08
I finished this last night, and was amazed! The first couple of chapters didn't really live up to what I was expecting, but as the story went on I got more and more dragged in by the characters. Phoebe irritated me a bit at some points, but Faith fascinated me. I mean, who doesn't secretly want to be as reckless as that? I know I do!

I'm going to be looking out for a copy of this to keep I think.

Journal Entry 8 by arturogrande from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Wednesday, December 17, 2008
Arrived safe and sound - thanks very much. I've got a couple of rings ahead of this one, but I'll get to it as soon as I can (Christmas permitting!)

Journal Entry 9 by arturogrande from Coalville, Leicestershire United Kingdom on Sunday, February 15, 2009
I've finally got round to finishing this book, and I'm sorry for holding the ring up for so long. I'd got quite a few rings ahead of it and then Christmas and New Year got in the way.
But once I'd started it, I read it pretty quickly, as I wanted to know what happened next.
The story was very well constructed, the settings were beautifully drawn and the whole thing was very atmospheric. I wanted to know what happened to Faith, and also to see how the revelations about her would affect Phoebe.
My only criticism was that I didn't like a single character in the book. Faith was selfish and self-obsessed, with no idea of the consequences her actions would have, Phoebe was incredibly naive and almost dim in parts, Wolf - well, I couldn't see the attraction and the other characters - the mother, the brother, the dead father etc, were just background.
Apart from that,I did enjoy the book and I'm glad I read it.
Thanks, lellie, for starting this ring, and to everyone else for passing it on.
It's now on its way to lauraloo29 in Canada.

Journal Entry 10 by winglauraloo29wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, February 24, 2009
Arrived safe and sound today. Just when I think I'm getting my rings under control, another one arrives. :) Not to worry. I'll keep them moving.

Journal Entry 11 by winglauraloo29wing from Edmonton, Alberta Canada on Tuesday, March 31, 2009
I'm struggling with this book. And I hate keeping rings here too long. I'm going to send this book on its way to the next person. Thank you for sharing!

Journal Entry 12 by sunfi from Alexandria, Virginia USA on Saturday, April 18, 2009
Received in the mail today, thanks lauraloo29 for mailing this to me and lellie for including me in this ring/ray. I have a number of other rings/rays ahead of this one and I'll get it on its way as soon as I can.

Journal Entry 13 by sunfi at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA on Friday, October 02, 2009

Released 9 yrs ago (10/2/2009 UTC) at -- Mail or by hand-rings, RABCK, meetings, Ohio USA

Sorry I kept this one a little longer, I had a number of other rings/rays (with other folks in line behind me) so I put this one aside for a bit. I just finished this one, a couple parts of the story dragged for me, but overall I was captivated by it.

I'm sending this off to valpete as a RABCK, as it is on her wishlist.

Journal Entry 14 by wingvalpetewing from Walnut Creek, California USA on Thursday, October 08, 2009
Wow! Thanks so much for your generosity. Unfortunately, I'm bogged down with Rings/Rays at the moment, so it will have to join my others on my TBR shelf. Hope to get to it soon!

Journal Entry 15 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Tuesday, November 23, 2010
I'm moving this one along to someone who has it on his Wishlist.

Journal Entry 16 by wingvalpetewing at Walnut Creek, California USA on Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Released 8 yrs ago (11/29/2010 UTC) at Walnut Creek, California USA

Enjoy!

Journal Entry 17 by eastbaybookmisr at Oakland, California USA on Tuesday, November 30, 2010
Received in the mail today as a surprise RABCK! Thank you!

1995 Picador trade paperback of the debut novel, by a short story author who grew up here across the Bay. This was on my list of best recent debuts to read.